Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 29, '13, 11:58 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Why was it okay for Jesus to get mad and throw the money changers out of the temple?

Why was it okay for him to get mad at people and physically throw them out, yet if I took the same action toward a sinner it would be a sin? Just wondering.
Old Apr 29, '13, 12:14 pm

Default Re: Why was it okay for Jesus to get mad and throw the money changers out of the temple?

Thats because they were defiling the temple which represents the House of the Lord.The temple also represents the Human body/soul which is supposed to be the temple of the holy spirit.if somebody sins..his body/soul is defiled by satan and this makes God extremely ANGRY.
Old Apr 29, '13, 12:25 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why was it okay for Jesus to get mad and throw the money changers out of the temple?

Who says that would be a sin for you?

A lot of Catholics nowadays act like it's a sin to be angry, a sin to fight in wars, a sin to tell someone that they're a sinner... instead of Roman Catholicism, it's a mix between Barney the Dinosaur and the bookstore's "self-help" section. I'm OK, you're OK, there's no sin, no problem, just love yourself and do whatever you want. As long as you're not "mean" to people. That's the unforgivable sin.

If you read the Bible (as you are referencing), or read the history of the Church, the false teaching that is today peddled as "Catholicism" will be totally unrecognizable. That's not a problem with the Church... that's just a problem with some people in the Church who are more married to the prevailing culture than they are to Jesus.
Old Apr 29, '13, 12:37 pm
Forum Master

Christ built an authoritative Church, with authoritative men to 'bind and loose.' That authority was not given to the multitudes.

Quote:
Mat 5:22 But I say to you, that whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in danger of the judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council. And whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
That teaching was taught to the multitudes. Read the entire chapter for proper context.

Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCatholic View Post
Why was it okay for him to get mad at people and physically throw them out, yet if I took the same action toward a sinner it would be a sin? Just wondering.
Because Jesus is literally God, and has the authority to punish those who defile a legitimate place of worship.

As a poster below pointed out, this power (to "bind and loose") has been handed to his successors (the Church); however, we are also cautioned to obey civil authorities, unless we are asked to sin.

And, of course, we are still permitted - no, required - to admonish sinners, though in a charitable spirit. It's one of the Spiritual Works of Mercy.
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Jesus was a man! A man's man! When he saw wrong he took action. He didn't assault anyone but He objected to the blasphemy they were committing by desecrating the Holy Temple. So He upset some tables and spilled some coins, the means of committing the blasphemies. These were the filth tools of sinful men. I wish we were all more like him. We see wrong's all the time but lack the courage and convictions to stand up. We don't want to interfere with someone else's "right" to do what they choose even if it's evil. We are wimps!

The outer courtyard of the temple was meant to be the place where the Gentiles could come and pray. But that had been taken away from them so that the temple leaders could make money by cheating the poor! Jesus got mad. Praise Jesus!
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:14 pm

Personally, I'm not going to question if or why God can do something. He is God and He has given me so much! Simply put, He was angry that His Father's house was being disrespected, and He had every right to do something about it.
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francoist View Post
Who says that would be a sin for you?

A lot of Catholics nowadays act like it's a sin to be angry, a sin to fight in wars, a sin to tell someone that they're a sinner... instead of Roman Catholicism, it's a mix between Barney the Dinosaur and the bookstore's "self-help" section. I'm OK, you're OK, there's no sin, no problem, just love yourself and do whatever you want. As long as you're not "mean" to people. That's the unforgivable sin.

If you read the Bible (as you are referencing), or read the history of the Church, the false teaching that is today peddled as "Catholicism" will be totally unrecognizable. That's not a problem with the Church... that's just a problem with some people in the Church who are more married to the prevailing culture than they are to Jesus.
This is perfect, particularly the bolded
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:41 pm

Religion: catholic

People heavily tend to forgot that while God is love and forgiveness God is also Justice. Jesus as God is justice and to me this passage represents Jesus exercising Justice. Jesus words express very clear that his father's temple had been turned into a cave of thieves and Jesus is simply making justice. Very important part of religion that seems to be missed.
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:46 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
and The reason why you can't do it is because Jesus is our Judge he will judge us after death and he can judge people in earth. You and me are forbidden to judge. Now we have a duty to make judgments or discerning good from evil and a duty to take right actions but we can't pass final condemnation on anyone. Only Jesus.
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:46 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said: Vengeance belongeth to me, and I will repay. And again: The Lord shall judge his people.

Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:50 pm

Righteous anger. They were insulting God's house. It's kind of like asking "Why did God make it rain for 40 days and 40 nights?" or "Why did God punish the people of Sodom and Gomorrah?".
Old Apr 29, '13, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Would it be sinful for you to throw people out of your house if you found them disrespecting it?
Old Apr 29, '13, 3:20 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic leaning East

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennincatholic View Post
Thats because they were defiling the temple which represents the House of the Lord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francoist View Post
Who says that would be a sin for you? A lot of Catholics nowadays act like it's a sin to be angry, a sin to fight in wars, a sin to tell someone that they're a sinner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp1 View Post
Jesus was a man! A man's man! When he saw wrong he took action. He didn't assault anyone but He objected to the blasphemy they were committing by desecrating the Holy Temple.
Seriously?!

If Burger King took advantage of its elderly customers and charged them an extra 50%, would you vandalise every Burger King location in sight? Unless you live in the power vacuum that is Somalia (not sure if Burger King is there), I hope you would bring the issue to court instead of taking retribution in your own hands.

Even if the merchants had been exploiting their customers, thereby making the Temple a "den of thieves," Jesus technically had no right to enforce the law on the public's behalf as man. Today we would have arrested him.

It appears that the Temple scene is meant to present Jesus as the divine judge who punishes those who abuse the poor (Exodus 22:21-23). How else did Jesus single-handedly "drive them all out of the temple" armed with only an improvised whip? Considering this episode occurs during Passover (John 2:13) he would have been easily outnumbered by some angry, angry people.
Old Apr 29, '13, 3:28 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezant View Post
Seriously?!

If Burger King took advantage of its elderly customers and charged them an extra 50%, would you vandalise every Burger King location in sight? Unless you live in the power vacuum that is Somalia (not sure if Burger King is there), I hope you would bring the issue to court instead of taking retribution in your own hands.

Even if the merchants had been exploiting their customers, thereby making the Temple a "den of thieves," Jesus technically had no right to enforce the law on the public's behalf as man.

It appears to me that the Temple scene is meant to present Jesus as the divine judge who punishes those who abuse the poor (Exodus 22:21-23). How else did Jesus single-handedly "drive them all out of the temple" armed with only an improvised whip? You would expect, considering this episode occurs during Passover (John 2:13), that he would have been easily outnumbered by some angry, angry people.
Of course not. I would put on a purple dinosaur costume and begin spreading the gospel of friendliness. Someone please cue up "On Eagle's Wings".

By the way, I take it from your post that you do not think the episode in question actually happened?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture