Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 29, '13, 6:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Masterbation

Why is masterbation condemned in the Catholic Church?From what I have read masterbation is good for my health.
Old Apr 29, '13, 6:40 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Masterbation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCatholicAl View Post
Why is masterbation condemned in the Catholic Church?From what I have read masterbation is good for my health.
I don't know about masterbation, but I understand that slavebation has been prohibited for at least 400 years.

Old Apr 29, '13, 7:00 pm

Religion: Critical-Thinking Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to TarkanAttila

Quote:
Good question. Have you ever heard of the Theology of the Body?

If you haven't, go. Look for it. IT will open your eyes. Especially Christopher West's Theology of the Body for Beginners. Or look at the video in my sig.
Old Apr 29, '13, 7:04 pm

Because to do it is to engage in sexual pleasure for the sake of that pleasure alone. It's for that same reason that the use of contraceptives are sinful - they directly oppose the natural process of generating life - and so people who have sex while using contraceptives are having sex for the pure reason of the sexual pleasure. Ergo, they are giving into lust, which is sinful. Saying it is for health doesn't change this fact - there is still bodily pleasure involved in the process.
Old Apr 29, '13, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Because it is a bastardization of sexuality. God designed human sexuality to be used in a specific way, and to use it in a way that goes against God's plan for it is sinful. This is also one of the reasons homosexual sexual activity is sinful, and heterosexual sexual activity outside of marriage is sinful.

Human sexuality is meant to be used within the context of marriage for both unity between the spouses AND (not or) ordered towards bringing about new life.
Help us to follow our
Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Amen.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux
Old Apr 29, '13, 7:11 pm

Here we go again!

Seriously, I don't know whether to or when I see this topic pop up over and over again.

Can someone just create a sticky permanent thread on this topic, that the faithful can refer to in case of doubt? It would save an enormous amount of (metaphorical) spilt wasted ink.
Old Apr 29, '13, 7:14 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Maybe good for your health, but not good for your soul, as others will explain.
Old Apr 29, '13, 7:20 pm

[quote]
Quote:
Why is masterbation condemned in the Catholic Church?
In short, because it's a selfish act that doesn't involve pro-creation. Sexual acts that are not open to pro-creation in the Catholic Church are generally grave matters in sin.

Quote:
From what I have read masterbation is good for my health.
I have no doubt about that. But for your long term sexual health, masturbation is not good for you.

Both dating coach Marius Panzerella and myself when I advise couples agree that masturbation kills the "mojo" if you will, of your sexuality.

It can and I think often does, negatively impact healthy sexual/romantic motivations in your dating life, relationship, or marriage.
Old Apr 29, '13, 7:57 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

The so-called health benefits are ridiculously unfounded myths passed on to us by the Culture of Death.
Old Apr 29, '13, 8:51 pm
Banned

Religion: former Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzkoss236 View Post
Because it is a bastardization of sexuality. God designed human sexuality to be used in a specific way, and to use it in a way that goes against God's plan for it is sinful. This is also one of the reasons homosexual sexual activity is sinful, and heterosexual sexual activity outside of marriage is sinful.

Human sexuality is meant to be used within the context of marriage for both unity between the spouses AND (not or) ordered towards bringing about new life.
How do you know that?
Old Apr 29, '13, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCatholicGuy View Post
How do you know that?
Because that is what the Church teaches.

Other than that, it makes sense from a natural and sociological stand-point that if sex is kept within a marriage construct (and I mean REAL marriages, not the sorry excuse for marriage that most people get into these days), many social problems would be either eradicated, or at least diminished. There would be happier and healthier families. Little to no unwanted children, no abortions because there would be a respect for all human life.

Sex is a beautiful and powerful thing, a gift, when used appropriately, and not when it is given so freely and disgustingly as secular society does today. It's like using your toothbrush to clean the toilet and then brushing your teeth with it, rather than using it only to brush your teeth.
Help us to follow our
Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Amen.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux
Old Apr 29, '13, 9:31 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Well, if the Church condemns it as an intrinsic evil and a grave sin, I guess it cannot be good for your health. Unless what you read is more authoritative than what the Church of Christ teaches.

That being said, there are many excellent Catholic books explaining why the disordered enjoyment of the sexual pleasure is harmful for your emotional and spiritual health. Anyone who struggles with this sort of addiction and has achieved a consistent freedom in chastity and self-mastery can witness that it's far from good, though nobody in his right mind will deny that it feels good. What feels good is not good, though. If you notice, that's almost always true in real life. Sleeping until 11 AM feels good. Not working or studying hard feels good. Not training feels good. Eating sweets instead of bitter vegetables feels good. Drinking soda instead of a carrot shake feels good. Drinking a lot feels good. Drugs feel good...

I hope as you learn more and pray more, you will slowly reject this dangerous vice.
Old Apr 29, '13, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Since theology of the body has already been mentioned, all I'll add is that the two things you mentioned here don't absolutely have to be related.

I mean, usually the two are related for the purest form of an action, but you can take something that could be healthy (sex - I assume it can at least be good exercise) and pervert it to make it morally wrong (masturbation). Even dieting can be perverted into anorexia or bulimia.

Health benefits don't make an immoral thing ok, even if they do exist (which I doubt in this case). If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off sort thing, though in this case I don't suggest taking scripture literally.

I mean, even if there are health benefits and you want them, then just get married. I mean, not be crude (ok, that's a lie) but I can't think there's anything special about doing it yourself.
Old Apr 30, '13, 1:43 am

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993

People may not believe me at first, but there are spiritual experiences that greatly outdo sexual pleasures. These spiritual experiences are free for the repentant. Sex really is not that great. Sex is based on primitive desires, and not the true spiritual rewards.

Mark 12:30
ĎAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
Old Apr 30, '13, 5:44 am

Religion: Critical-Thinking Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to TarkanAttila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Donkey View Post
I mean, usually the two are related for the purest form of an action, but you can take something that could be healthy (sex - I assume it can at least be good exercise) and pervert it to make it morally wrong (masturbation). Even dieting can be perverted into anorexia or bulimia.
This makes sense.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence