Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '13, 4:39 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Redskins' RGIII blasts "Tyranny of Political Correctness"

Isn't this the truth:

Quote:
Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III on Tuesday complained about the “tyranny of political correctness” currently holding Americans “hostage.” His comments, posted on his official Twitter account, come as some people are demanding the Redskins change their team name because of its “racist” meaning.

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness,” Griffin tweeted.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/robert-gri...#ixzz2S5TBmA2J
The Redskins mascot is discussed but it seems like it pertains to so many issues in society today, story after story, morning after pill, etc.
Old May 1, '13, 4:49 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Redskins' RGIII blasts "Tyranny of Political Correctness"

I've seen RGIII in several interviews. The young man is very intelligent and exceptionally articulate. I'm not surprised to see him make such a statement concerning the 'Redskins'. I'm a Cleveland Indians fan. Have you ever seen Chief Wahoo? I wear an Indians ball cap with Chief Wahoo front and center, yet I mean no disrespect to American Indian tribes. I'm just a Cleveland Indians fan, plain and simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chiefwahoo.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	17104  
Old May 1, '13, 4:51 pm

as liberal as ESPN is getting, look out, they'll start trying to make RG3 "feel bad". The Redskins will get complaints. Bravo to this young man!!!
Old May 1, '13, 4:57 pm
Banned

It's all over, the "court martial" of people who share their religious beliefs, unbelievable, it's just one story after another like this.
Old May 1, '13, 5:18 pm
Banned

RGIII will be a great one IF he can stay relatively healthy, God Bless Him.
Old May 1, '13, 6:55 pm

In the interests of not being PC:

Old May 1, '13, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by just came back View Post
as liberal as ESPN is getting, look out, they'll start trying to make RG3 "feel bad". The Redskins will get complaints. Bravo to this young man!!!
Perhaps its time for the Koch Bros to start a competing network. If you had told anyone in 1999 that Fox would eat CNN's lunch in a decade they would have laughed in your face.
Old May 1, '13, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
In the interests of not being PC:

And this is trending now: An advertising campaign that uses the images of Native Americans to emphasize its pro-gun-ownership point.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...d-in-colorado/

Above link reports SOME Native Americans didn't like this campaign for various reasons.

But I'll bet somewhere a Native American or two will nod their heads and say "That's true.
Disarmament was a part of resettlement. And at the Battle of the Little Big Horn - the side that had the MOST guns won!"

Meanwhile hats off to RGIII ! Talk about a non-issue issue. If the worst thing in your life is a cartoon emblem of a Sports Team ... get down and thank God for your wonderfully sheltered life!

In my opinion "Redskins" was a way of honoring our common Native American culture. It may be an arcane word now, but at the time the franchise was named, it was as good a generic name as there was to honor Native Americans, a culture, a "race". The virtues of bravery and the strenuous life come to mind much more -- than dedicating ones banner to people they are making fun of (and hence making fun of the players who are then called "Redskins" too).

The PC thing RGIII is speaking of, I think, is how a couple of people with a dubious complaint can capture the attention of a solicitous and corrupt news media (that LOVES to report on whatever "racism" it can find, real or imagined) and cause trouble to no ones benefit but their own.

The Chief Wahoo cartoon being slightly comic would be a better argument. But it too is a great example of some of the artwork of the 1930's and '40s. In THAT case the Cleveland team was RENAMED to be the "Indians" after one of its early stars Louis Sokalexis who was a native American. The nickname INDIANS itself was used by Carlisle University which was a predominantly Native American (many tribes) College -- and a national power when the fabulous Jim Thorpe was lettering in all sports -- and then won Gold Medals for the US in the Olympics.

Quote:
Wikipedia Caption: The 1911 Carlisle Indians football team pose with a game ball from the upset of Harvard. Coach "Pop" Warner (standing, third from right) and Jim Thorpe (seated, third from right) are pictured.
I'm of Irish descent and have never considered Irish nicknames to be an ethnic insult - but an honoring of Irish people. Be it "Fighting Irish" or "Gaels" (St. Mary's) or Celtics. And any "Irish person" who whined about being demeaned by cartoon leprechauns with curled up shoes (actually this would be "worse" than any Native American cartoon I'd seen, lol ) I'd be distancing myself from. Considering them crazy or else trying to run a shakedown of some sort.

On a slow news day I suppose a sports reporter could give one of these kind of folks a phone call and start up a national story -- to the admiration of the "real reporters" on the news desk who consider the Sports Section the "toy department". < My previous newspaper career is showing here.

In my opinion if one of the more famous sports franchises ever caved into one of these groups, dropped the name Redskins, Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, Aztecs, Illini -- whatever (as has been done with the Stanford Indians and some other teams) and called themselves (say) "The Cavalry" ... the fur would really fly. And the idea of nicknames being demeaning instead of an honor would do a quick U-turn to keep PC ever relevant and on the march in that new direction.

Last edited by CaptFun; May 1, '13 at 10:08 pm. Reason: spacing corrected
Old May 2, '13, 6:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFun View Post
And this is trending now: An advertising campaign that uses the images of Native Americans to emphasize its pro-gun-ownership point.

<snipped because of so many large images>
The thing about the Redskins logo however that makes it a bit different from other cases is this issue continually resurfaces, it is not like this is one or two people complaining though I agree it may be a minority,

There is precedence in the case of the Redskins logo:

Stanford changed their name to the Cardinals in the same kind of kerfuffle.

North Dakota University has run into the same kind of flack over their mascot as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_D...ux#Controversy

So though I agree SDSU or the Washington NFL team should not change their name, it does seem closer to a sort of epithet as has been used towards say Italians and Irish, not more polite words like "Fighting Irish", "Leperchauns" or the old Toronto ice hockey team, the "Saint Pats".

I think nowadays, Redskins is more associated with the NFL team than its historic context. Words like the "Vikings", "Steelers", "Packers", "Cowboys", "Padres" seem absent of negative connotations.

Be safe, pick an animal, "Jaguars", "Wolves", "Bucs", "Falcons", etc.

But the Redskins controversy returns time again, I love the theme fight song "Hail to the Redskins" written decades ago, perhaps back to the World War II era.

"Hail to the Redskins, Hail Victory, Braves on the Warpath, Fight for Old DC".

If only Washington was this way still.

Still, something is to be said, there are other names that don't create controversy, "Running Rebs", "Aggies."
Old May 2, '13, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroomWagon View Post

Still, something is to be said, there are other names that don't create controversy, "Running Rebs", "Aggies."

Agreed. I would think KU's "Jayhawk" would cause considerable controversy considering Jayhawkers were murders, rapists and pillagers. When you transform it to a fictional cousin of Big Bird I guess it tames it down.

A 110 years ago calling someone a "Sooner" in Oklahoma would have been a fighting offense.
Old May 2, '13, 7:02 am

It's a way to pay tribute to the Native Americans. Every fan thinks they're team has fighting spirit and is a winner. This is all positive.
The fighting Illini are the University of Illinois' sports teams. Who would have heard of the Illini, or Illiniwek if there weren't teams with the name?
"Illiniwek, a group of six Native American tribes in the upper Mississippi River valley of North America"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illini

The Chicago Blackhawks were named after a native American. This man is long gone, but is still remembered because the hockey team has his name.
"The team's first owner was coffee tycoon Frederic McLaughlin, who outbid grain magnate James E. Norris for the franchise. McLaughlin had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I.[3] This Division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division", after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Chief Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks
Old May 2, '13, 4:41 pm

Religion: Deist, former Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
Agreed. I would think KU's "Jayhawk" would cause considerable controversy considering Jayhawkers were murders, rapists and pillagers. When you transform it to a fictional cousin of Big Bird I guess it tames it down.

A 110 years ago calling someone a "Sooner" in Oklahoma would have been a fighting offense.
Very true...what really shocked me was when I heard the University of Georgia band playing "Marching Through Georgia."
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Old May 2, '13, 10:39 pm

Some of my favorite uniforms were worn by teams with Native American themes.

Some like simple. I liked a little jazz! Here's the uniform from the Milwaukee Braves' glory years (especially their 1957 World Championship and 1958 pennant winning teams).

Note the use of black and red together in the piping, a dash of yellow on the tomahawk
and a full color screened "Brave" on the sleeve. VERY sharp.

At about the same time the Chicago Blackhawks were a hot ticket with Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita wearing - possibly my favorite TWO jerseys in all of sport. With the possible exception of the Houston Astros' Orange Sherbet to Purple rainbow striped uni's of the '70s and '80s - the Blackhawk uni's probably include the most colors on the jerseys (done with more subtlety, using the feathers in the headdress of the warrior).

SIDE NOTE: The complainers DO know (don't they?) that the geographic names of the states of Illinois and Wisconsin and the city names of Milwaukee and Chicago are ALL from the Native American names for the places. In fact in the US such Native American language place names still in existence are almost too numerous to name.
Old May 2, '13, 10:55 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFun View Post

The Chief Wahoo cartoon being slightly comic would be a better argument. But it too is a great example of some of the artwork of the 1930's and '40s. In THAT case the Cleveland team was RENAMED to be the "Indians" after one of its early stars Louis Sokalexis who was a native American. The nickname INDIANS itself was used by Carlisle University which was a predominantly Native American (many tribes) College -- and a national power when the fabulous Jim Thorpe was lettering in all sports -- and then won Gold Medals for the US in the Olympics.

I'm of Irish descent and have never considered Irish nicknames to be an ethnic insult - but an honoring of Irish people. Be it "Fighting Irish" or "Gaels" (St. Mary's) or Celtics. And any "Irish person" who whined about being demeaned by cartoon leprechauns with curled up shoes (actually this would be "worse" than any Native American cartoon I'd seen, lol ) I'd be distancing myself from. Considering them crazy or else trying to run a shakedown of some sort.

On a slow news day I suppose a sports reporter could give one of these kind of folks a phone call and start up a national story -- to the admiration of the "real reporters" on the news desk who consider the Sports Section the "toy department". < My previous newspaper career is showing here.

In my opinion if one of the more famous sports franchises ever caved into one of these groups, dropped the name Redskins, Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, Aztecs, Illini -- whatever (as has been done with the Stanford Indians and some other teams) and called themselves (say) "The Cavalry" ... the fur would really fly. And the idea of nicknames being demeaning instead of an honor would do a quick U-turn to keep PC ever relevant and on the march in that new direction.
My alma mater changed their name from the Chieftans to the Red Hawks in a fit of PC a few years ago.

Side note: check out the pit bull in the Jim Thorpe photo.

Ishii
Old May 2, '13, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroomWagon View Post
The thing about the Redskins logo however that makes it a bit different from other cases is this issue continually resurfaces, it is not like this is one or two people complaining though I agree it may be a minority,

There is precedence in the case of the Redskins logo:

Stanford changed their name to the Cardinals in the same kind of kerfuffle.

North Dakota University has run into the same kind of flack over their mascot as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_D...ux#Controversy

So though I agree SDSU or the Washington NFL team should not change their name, it does seem closer to a sort of epithet as has been used towards say Italians and Irish, not more polite words like "Fighting Irish", "Leperchauns" or the old Toronto ice hockey team, the "Saint Pats".

I think nowadays, Redskins is more associated with the NFL team than its historic context. Words like the "Vikings", "Steelers", "Packers", "Cowboys", "Padres" seem absent of negative connotations.

Be safe, pick an animal, "Jaguars", "Wolves", "Bucs", "Falcons", etc.

But the Redskins controversy returns time again, I love the theme fight song "Hail to the Redskins" written decades ago, perhaps back to the World War II era.

"Hail to the Redskins, Hail Victory, Braves on the Warpath, Fight for Old DC".

If only Washington was this way still.

Getting back to the Redskins and how they got their name. They were initially called the Boston Braves (like the NL baseball team in that city). Other NFL cities were naming their teams in similar ways to the baseball teams in town (Detroit Tigers? LIONS! Chicago Cubs? BEARS! New York Giants? New York Giants NFL!).

In Chicago the Cubs and Bears shared Wrigley Field - while the football Cardinals played in the White Sox's Comiskey Park. Loyalties got divided. In Boston the football Braves were renamed to include Red Sox fans loyalties. RED Sox/Braves = Redskins!

The Boston Braves were established in the city in 1932. The team changed its name to the Boston Redskins the following year, but relocated to Washington, D.C. in 1937.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_th...get_their_name < some of these Wikianswers details vary in their accounts of WHEN the team became the Redskins (in Boston) here is one version ...

Quote:
The team was founded in 1932 as the Boston Braves, named after the Boston (Braves) baseball team. At that time it was common for football and baseball teams in the same city to have the same name; examples include the New York Giants, St. Louis Cardinals, and New York Yankees. Amid flagging revenues, both versions of the Boston Braves tried to generate new interest by changing their names. The baseball team changed its name to the Boston Bees (that didn't last long. They went back to being the Boston Braves and later moved to Milwaukee and then Atlanta, where they still play.) In 1933 the football team changed its name to the Boston Redskins and in 1937 it moved to Washington
Your final comment on the Running Rebels gave me a smile. I remember a really good
player UNLV got (they were rivals of my school, Cal State Fullerton) in their heydey who
was quoted as saying he liked the way the Tarkanian teams played - but then added
" ... and REBELS! I love that name. I said to myself YEAH! I wanna be a runnin' REBEL!"

He probably meant it in the sense of "unique" or "I do my own thing!" But here he was, a young black player, who loved the name REBELS! And maybe hadn't noticed or cared about the little logo of the Confederate Soldier that was part of the marketing.

I always hoped our Fullerton recruiters would use that to outbid UNLV for some top prospect. Alls fair in recruiting wars! Ah well. Its college baseball time now and my Titans are #4 in the nation. And March Madness is a fading memory.

Last edited by CaptFun; May 2, '13 at 11:33 pm.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News