Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 6, '13, 1:06 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default In & Out Burgers Scriptures

Two parter

1) Has anyone ever seen a Catholic verse?

2.) Whats the craziest verse you ever got?

FYI: In and Out burgers has scriptures on all their drinks and wrappers I don't know how many states or other countries they're in.
Old May 6, '13, 2:28 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In & Out Burgers Scriptures

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy92 View Post
Two parter

1) Has anyone ever seen a Catholic verse?

FYI: In and Out burgers has scriptures on all their drinks and wrappers I don't know how many states or other countries they're in.
1) Catholics wrote the Bible before there WERE any Protestants ... so ... they're all Catholic Verses. The King James Version may add a little spice or flavor but

Oh, and since Jesus (the Messiah) and the foundational apostles were all Jewish - we could get wry and call the OT writers and prophets pre-Catholics.

2) I'll have to look next time I'm at In and Out. I didn't know they did this. BUT ...
once at a retreat team meeting we had a homework assignment to adopt a favorite scripture and share briefly about it. Mine was Ephesians 6:10-17 (the armor of God, our enemies are not flesh and blood by spiritual powers (demons) etc.). I waxed eloquent (or overlong according to one's taste). The guy after me was more brief. Without citing the chapter or verse, he just recited his "favorite verse".

"... and Judas went out and hung himself!"

Result: gasps and shocked laughter in equal amounts.
Old May 6, '13, 4:00 am

Really? I didn't know they did that either. When did they start doing that? It's been so long since I've eaten fast food so I would not know. It's a good idea if they are. And like someone already said, they are all Catholic verses. Catholics put the Bible together.

~Peace be with you~
Old May 6, '13, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFun View Post
1) Catholics wrote the Bible before there WERE any Protestants ... so ... they're all Catholic Verses. The King James Version may add a little spice or flavor but :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye_Ariel View Post
And like someone already said, they are all Catholic verses. Catholics put the Bible together.
OK, smart alecks .... you are correct of course, but I'm pretty sure that the OP meant verses that are found in the Deuterocanonical books of the OT -- i.e., that wouldn't be found in the majority of "Protestant" Bibles.

As to my favorite "Catholic" verse under that criteria .... well, just check out my sig.

For Thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which Thou hast made: for Thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it. Wisdom 11:25, Douay-Rheims Bible
Old May 6, '13, 7:43 am
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

In & Out is a burger chain based along the US Pacific coast. (Ca, Nev, Az). I have been there, but never saw the verses on their packaging.

ICXC NIKA
Old May 7, '13, 12:13 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

For the record on drinks they are on the underside of the cup on the lip of the bottom. Hamburgers usually around the seam of the packaging. Fries is on the bottom of the bowl as well.

I have only seen either famous quotes John 316 etc. Or ones that are safe like genesis or luke.
Old May 7, '13, 9:09 am

I am usually so busy woofing down that 'double-double with cheese' and fries, so I can honestly say that I have never noticed that there were scripture verses on the wrappers. Oh the sin of gluttony!
Old May 7, '13, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoom View Post
OK, smart alecks .... you are correct of course, but I'm pretty sure that the OP meant verses that are found in the Deuterocanonical books of the OT -- i.e., that wouldn't be found in the majority of "Protestant" Bibles.

As to my favorite "Catholic" verse under that criteria .... well, just check out my sig.
I'm not so smart. So maybe I did get the intent of the OP wrong. I wasn't thinking a "Catholic Verse" would be limited to the OT dueterocanonical books for sure. But (when I consider the question a little more seriously) would consider "Catholic Verses" (that instruct non-Catholics about some Catholic doctrine they don't understand) to be things from the WHOLE Bible including passages like:

Quote:
1 Corinthians 3:14 If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage.

15 But if someone's work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, 8 but only as through fire.

(Temporary suffering after death prior to experiencing the fruits of salvation - agrees with the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory. And also that "works matter".)
Or one of these from the "Catholic Apologetics Cheat Sheet" below < (bookmark this, I do! Even if you are not Catholic dear readers, as you can explore Catholic thinking on doctrines not agreed upon by everyone who call themselves "Christian").

http://catholiceducation.org/article...cs/ap0039.html

There ARE some verses in the link above from the dueterocanonical OT books. Usually they are not the ONLY scriptures written on the issue ... and would be "outranked" by NT scriptures and/or the words of Christ -- even when He seems to restate things written first in those scriptures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirach

Quote:
Some people claim that there are several allusions to the Wisdom of Sirach in the New Testament. These include:

* the Virgin Mary's magnificat in Luke 1:52 following Sirach 10:14;

* the description of the seed in Mark 4:5,16-17 following Sirach 40:15,

* Christ's statement in Matthew 7:16,20 following Sirach 27:6

*and James 1:19 quoting Sirach 5:11.

The distinguished patristic scholar Henry Chadwick has claimed that:

* in Matthew 11:28 Jesus was directly quoting Sirach 51:27, as well as comparing

* Matthew 6:12 "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." (KJV) with Sirach 28:2 "Forgive your neighbor a wrong, and then, when you petition, your sins will be pardoned."

(Some other translations, such as the New Revised Standard Version, read, for Matthew 6:12, "And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespassed against us.")
I haven't seen the In 'n Out scriptures at all (yet). But if one of them includes Matthew 11:28 - then that includes a "Catholic Scripture" from Sirach AND from Matthew -- even though Jesus had not technically begun His Church at the moment He spoke the words -- but was acting within the "exclusive at the time" Jewish faith as its promised Messiah, God enfleshed). Though His Catholic Church was being formed and the day that all people would be invited into a covenant relationship with God Himself was nearing.

In today's news is word about the oldest known Bible in existence - called the Codex Sinaiticus being presented online.

Dating back to the Fourth Century, close to the time that the Church first canonized the approved scriptures, the Codex is recoded in Greek. An online question as to what is the oldest Bible in existence today was answered thus on Answerbag.com (without additional documentation):

Quote:
The world's oldest known copy of the complete bible (in bound book form), dating from 300-350 AD, is the Codex Sinaiticus. It is a translation from Hebrew and Greek manuscripts into an all Greek bible. It is believed that it may be one of 50 original bibles that the Emperor Constantine commissioned after converting the Eastern Roman Empire to Christianity.

It was discovered at the Monastery of St. Catherine in Sinai, Egypt, which was built on what is traditionally believed to be the site of where Moses encountered God as a burning bush, and later received the Ten Commandments.

Although most of the Old Testament text has been destroyed, the New Testament text has survived and is in general agreement with the text used to establish the KJV of the bible.
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/14282

Codex Sinaiticus Bible, 350 AD

St. Catherine Monastery, Sinai Egypt -- at the traditional site of the burning bush, and where God handed down the Ten Commandments to Moses.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/jo..._sinai_en.html - Pope John Paul II's 2/26/2000 homily at St Catherine's Monastery during his visit to Sinai.

In this homily the Pope compares Sinai to a better mountain and more fulfilled message. That of the Mt. of Transfiguration -- and our transfiguration from mere creatures to "Son! Daughter!" of our loving "FATHER!"
Old May 7, '13, 10:25 pm

Quote:

Codex Sinaiticus Bible, 350 AD

St. Catherine Monastery, Sinai Egypt -- at the traditional site of the burning bush, and where God handed down the Ten Commandments to Moses.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/jo..._sinai_en.html - Pope John Paul II's 2/26/2000 homily at St Catherine's Monastery during his visit to Sinai.

In this homily the Pope compares Sinai to a better mountain and more fulfilled message. That of the Mt. of Transfiguration -- and our transfiguration from mere creatures to "Son! Daughter!" of our loving "FATHER!"
A little excerpt from the Holy Father's homily that historic day at the foot of Mt. Sinai:

Quote:
The Gospel Reading which we have just listened to suggests that Sinai finds its fulfilment on another mountain, the Mountain of the Transfiguration, where Jesus appears to his Apostles shining with the glory of God. Moses and Elijah stand with him to testify that the fullness of God’s revelation is found in the glorified Christ.

On the Mountain of the Transfiguration, God speaks from the cloud, as he had done on Sinai. But now he says: “This is my beloved Son; listen to him” (Mk 9:7). He commands us to listen to his Son, because “no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him” (Mt 11:27). And so we learn that the true name of God is FATHER! The name which is beyond all other names: ABBA! (cf. Gal 4:6). And in Jesus we learn that our true name is SON, DAUGHTER! -- Pope John Paul II
Take your pick In 'N Out Burgers from "the Pope's Picks!"
Old May 8, '13, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy92 View Post

Quote:

Proverbs 17:21 To be a fool's parent is grief for a man; the father of a numskull has no joy.

My Father's favorite scripture - for reasons I could never understand.
Old May 8, '13, 11:09 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Dog-paddling the Tiber

Quote:
My Father's favorite scripture - for reasons I could never understand.

No Catholic Radio in your area? Listen online free: http://ihradio.org/wp-content/themes...io/listen.html

Ready for college? Check THIS out http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ganIqre0QE
Old May 8, '13, 11:28 pm

They've been printing those verses for a good while now. I've only seen a handful over and over, so I don't think they've been changing them up. I remember that the Nahum verse was the first one I noticed (probably in high school) and it's still there 20+ years later - still on the Double-Double wrapper.
Old May 8, '13, 11:51 pm

I got this verse

Quote:
Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into him and eat with him and he with me. (Rev 3:20)
Clever In 'n' Out, very clever.

Not really crazy, but I found it humorous.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture