Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 3, '05, 5:27 am

Thumbs down Catholics and Samaritans' Purse

Hi,

Our pastor has brought in the Christmas Child project from Franklin Graham's Samaritans Purse. It's a nice project with a great intention--to give gifts to needy children. But there is a dilemma. They put a booklet in each shoebox with the gifts explaining Christianity, which is, of course, evangelical.

While I believe it is great to tell the world to accept Jesus and indeed necessary I know there is a big problem when we support such groups. The website which is
www.samaritanspurse.org
has a section there about how to accept the Lord. Fine so far. But then the people are told to be sure to attend a "church where Christ is preached." We know they don't mean us.

I was a Baptist for 15 years and know the anti-Catholicism that is so pervasive. Should we support a project with them when they could go farther than tell people about Jesus and tell them not to attend our Church? I hope I am only being suspicious because of past experience--but the "attend a church where Christ is preached" sounds very famililar. It means go to an evangelical church.

Any thoughts?

Gloryb
Old Oct 3, '05, 6:26 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Catholics and Samaritans' Purse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb
Hi,

Our pastor has brought in the Christmas Child project from Franklin Graham's Samaritans Purse. It's a nice project with a great intention--to give gifts to needy children. But there is a dilemma. They put a booklet in each shoebox with the gifts explaining Christianity, which is, of course, evangelical.

While I believe it is great to tell the world to accept Jesus and indeed necessary I know there is a big problem when we support such groups. The website which is
www.samaritanspurse.org
has a section there about how to accept the Lord. Fine so far. But then the people are told to be sure to attend a "church where Christ is preached." We know they don't mean us.

I was a Baptist for 15 years and know the anti-Catholicism that is so pervasive. Should we support a project with them when they could go farther than tell people about Jesus and tell them not to attend our Church? I hope I am only being suspicious because of past experience--but the "attend a church where Christ is preached" sounds very famililar. It means go to an evangelical church.

Any thoughts?

Gloryb

My personal opinion:

I have great respect for Dr. Billy Graham, even while (obviously) disgree with him theologically. My respect for the father does not extend to the son. I have found some of Franklin Graham's public statements to be of concern, and would hold him at arm's length.

Also, there are many fine Catholic charities with similar programs to which you could donate instead. One of my favorites? CNEWA -- Catholic Near East Welfare Association.

God is the Lord, of angels, and of men -- and of elves.
Legend and History have met and fused.

On Fairy Stories -- J. R. R. Tolkien
Old Oct 3, '05, 7:13 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to johnshelby

don't most parishes have a program similar to that, i know
ours does.. Christmas balls.. we get Christmas balls with a
childs first name, age, and a Christmas wish.. then we try
to answer as best we can, then bring the gift to the church..
Catholic Social Services distributes the gifts to the children..

every year, all the balls get 'selected'.. Father makes sure of
that. lol

:-)
Old Oct 3, '05, 7:56 am

Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Our catechism program has always donated to Operation Christmas Child. I think it is the same program you mentioned. Anyway, what we do is place Catholic prayer cards, even rosaries in the shoe boxes. I always wondered if those items were removed and discarded! I think it would be much better though, to donate to a Catholic program.
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Oct 3, '05, 11:26 am

Religion: Anglican

Having been involved in Baptist circles for several years and having worked with Samaritans purse twice I have two comments:

1) Although many Baptists are anti-catholic, many are not. Billy Grahams evangelistic association actually does include Catholic churches by “wherever Christ is preached”., It is a known policy that Mr. Graham regularly uses Catholic counselors as part of the group of people to minister to those who “come forward” to his message. If you do not believe me look him up on the internet and read all the vile some fundy Baptists shoot his way for being “syncretistic with the ----- of Babylon”. I don’t know about his Son spec filly, but Mr. Graham himself is a very ecumenical Baptist.

2) We were never told to remove any religious items of any sort, we were only to remove perishable foods/candy and violent items such as army soldiers. We even left in some incense once, the only issue being whither it was safe to ship and give out. I cannot think of a time when I ran into any Rosaries however, and removing this or any other Catholic item would depend on the person doing the sorting (and if they asked, the supervisor). But the official policy states we are to remove a specific list of items, none of which are religious. (I’d personally remove a Koran or something like that though after asking about it of course!).
Old Oct 3, '05, 11:53 am

Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight4God
Having been involved in Baptist circles for several years and having worked with Samaritans purse twice I have two comments:

1) Although many Baptists are anti-catholic, many are not. Billy Grahams evangelistic association actually does include Catholic churches by “wherever Christ is preached”., It is a known policy that Mr. Graham regularly uses Catholic counselors as part of the group of people to minister to those who “come forward” to his message. If you do not believe me look him up on the internet and read all the vile some fundy Baptists shoot his way for being “syncretistic with the ----- of Babylon”. I don’t know about his Son spec filly, but Mr. Graham himself is a very ecumenical Baptist.

2) We were never told to remove any religious items of any sort, we were only to remove perishable foods/candy and violent items such as army soldiers. We even left in some incense once, the only issue being whither it was safe to ship and give out. I cannot think of a time when I ran into any Rosaries however, and removing this or any other Catholic item would depend on the person doing the sorting (and if they asked, the supervisor). But the official policy states we are to remove a specific list of items, none of which are religious. (I’d personally remove a Koran or something like that though after asking about it of course!).
That's good to know! We have always been a part of the program for as long as I have lived here, and we always wondered if they left in our Catholic prayer cards!
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Oct 3, '05, 12:04 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
I hope I am only being suspicious because of past experience--but the "attend a church where Christ is preached" sounds very famililar. It means go to an evangelical church.
A few years ago, I'd have told you that you are paranoid and that "church where Christ is preached" is just a wordy way to say Christian Church. However, at a Christmas party, I once overheard a Fundy talk w/ pride that he attended a "church where Christ is preached" and inferred that our host attended something else. The host of the party was Catholic. Since then, I've listened more closely and every time I've heard the phrase, there was an implicit inferrence that some churches don't preach Christ, and Catholicism is the apex.
Old Oct 3, '05, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Hi,

www.samaritanspurse.org

Any thoughts?

Gloryb
I would like to point out that Billy Graham has a history of being remarkably pro-Catholic for an Evangelical. He used to refer people to Catholic Churches, if that was their background, and he was attacked by many Protestants for this. I wouldn't assume an anti_Catholic position here by this aid agency.

Ecce crucem Domini

Tiber Swim Team - Class '05

Karl Bjorn Erickson is an essayist as well as the author of Tristan's Travels and Toupee Mice.
Old Oct 3, '05, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshelby
don't most parishes have a program similar to that, i know
ours does.. Christmas balls.. we get Christmas balls with a
childs first name, age, and a Christmas wish.. then we try
to answer as best we can, then bring the gift to the church..
Catholic Social Services distributes the gifts to the children..

every year, all the balls get 'selected'.. Father makes sure of
that. lol

:-)

This type of program is wonderful for the local level, where the needy of the parish and/or community are served. But the shoebox program is different. You get a shoebox and fill it with gifts, personal care items, etc, and they are shipped by the millions to far off countries where there is true poverty. It may be the only bar of soap the child gets all year. Many times the first toy they ever had.

I have mildly struggeled with supporting the shoebox program because I know it is the evangelicals running it. But I have to believe that bringing these people to Christ has to be good, even if they might not be getting the full TRUTH.
Old Oct 3, '05, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight4God

I have donated to the Samaritan's Purse - I have no problem with it.

Blessings
Richard
Old Oct 3, '05, 3:11 pm

Religion: Protestant

Samaritan's purse is a wonderful organization, who does great work around the world in helping poor countries, disasters and leading people to Christ. Personally, I don't really care what KIND of church a person goes to, as long as Christ is preached.

I'm sure there are bad Catholic churches and good ones, just like there are bad and good Protestant churches.

Since the Grahams are Evangelical, it isn't too shocking they don't jump up and down for Catholicism, but that doesn't mean they're against it either.

Is it really that bad for a person to accept Jesus, then go to a non-Catholic church....or would it be better they did nothing and went to hell instead?
Old Oct 3, '05, 3:14 pm
Forum Master

I've never heard of Samaritan's Purse, but I don't live in the Bible belt. In our area, Twin Cities, MN, we give to Catholic Charities, Caring and Sharing Hands (an outreach program run by a local Catholic lady and an order of Franciscan friars) and our local parish's Giving Tree program, plus an Indian mission in Arizona. I am uncomfortable giving to non-Catholic organizations like the Salvation Army, even though their seasonal donations go to feeding the poor not to evangelization--we always toss some money into their pots at Christmas time. Still, I'd give to Catholic Charities or some other Catholic mission or apostolate to the poor before donating to any that promote Evangelicalism to the point of directing people to any particular church group over any other with a line like "a church that preaches Christ", as if the Catholic Church doesn't.
Old Oct 4, '05, 3:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner570
Samaritan's purse is a wonderful organization, who does great work around the world in helping poor countries, disasters and leading people to Christ. Personally, I don't really care what KIND of church a person goes to, as long as Christ is preached.

I'm sure there are bad Catholic churches and good ones, just like there are bad and good Protestant churches.

Since the Grahams are Evangelical, it isn't too shocking they don't jump up and down for Catholicism, but that doesn't mean they're against it either.

Is it really that bad for a person to accept Jesus, then go to a non-Catholic church....or would it be better they did nothing and went to hell instead?
This is not about being for or against a church. This is also not about there being good and bad of all denominations. In fact, it's not about the Grahams specifically. It's known that they are more favorably inclined to Catholics than many of their colleagues.

In fact, I doubt anyone here opposes their desire to win souls. This is about the Christmas Child program specifically, which must by it's nature go to Christian areas. They will not be going to where people have never heard about Jesus if they are giving out Christmas gifts.

The gifts for the children are wonderful. Trying to win the lost is even better. But this is about booklets going into boxes for children of many denominational backgrounds, leading them to an evangelical interpretation of Christianity. And even this alone is not a problem except evangelicals tell people to do exactly what you said---"go to a church where Christ is preached."

You can make the point for us here. You say you are not Catholic but do not care where anyone goes "as long as Christ is preached." If you are approached by a new Christian and they say they are going to go to the local Catholic Church do you say "praise God" or do you divert them to where "Christ is preached?" (And it's not about good and bad within denominations---in general does Catholicism "preach Christ?")

Gloryb
(who goes to a Catholic church where Christ is preached )
Old Oct 4, '05, 3:56 am

Anyone know of an Catholic organization that does a similiar thing - perhaps for the recent hurricane victims? I'm the RE coordinator for our community and would love to have us become involved in a project like this.
Old Oct 4, '05, 5:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionthehunter
A few years ago, I'd have told you that you are paranoid and that "church where Christ is preached" is just a wordy way to say Christian Church. However, at a Christmas party, I once overheard a Fundy talk w/ pride that he attended a "church where Christ is preached" and inferred that our host attended something else. The host of the party was Catholic. Since then, I've listened more closely and every time I've heard the phrase, there was an implicit inferrence that some churches don't preach Christ, and Catholicism is the apex.
Interesting. I've heard that phrase, too.

By the way, I attend a "Church where Christ is truly worshipped".

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics