Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 6, '13, 7:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default How to cut the cable TV umbilical cord

We had been using cable until we recently moved, and I decided not to renew our subscription. I only subscribed for internet service which is about $40 a month. I bought a good router that has streaming HD wireless.

I installed a corner shelf that I got from Lowes and mounted the router up in a corner of a room above my computer so that it's well above my head but with about 6" of room between it and the ceiling (I don't like the router being right in front of me because I don't know if the strong signal that comes out is good to be so close to my head). So now my ethernet cords go through the router.

My laptop has an output for HD, so I connected it to the TV with that cord. With that wireless laptop set up I can get streaming internet on my TV. Whatever is on my laptop screen can be seen on the TV screen with max HD resolution (when I have the settings for "projector" only).

In addition, I bought some cheap $10 RCA rabbit ears from WalMart, and now I can get local channels for free. Some of them are in really good quality HD. The only thing is that sometimes the reception goes out and back in. But this happens less on our top floor. I'm supplementing that with our DVD collection. We could do things like Netflix and Hulu, but right now I'd rather see if I can get by without those with whatever streaming video can be viewed for free on the internet. Plus, I have no interest in most of the garbage that comes out today.
Old May 6, '13, 8:41 pm

Default Re: How to cut the cable TV umbilical cord

Install XBMC on your computer. It stands for "Xbox Media Center" but it works on all sorts of platforms. It was originally developed for the Xbox so that name has stuck. With XBMC, you can install all kinds of plugins to watch all sorts of internet feeds from Hulu to Youtube. You can also play local content that you've downloaded. Another good choice for media center software is Plex.

Basically, finding good media center software is the key to unlocking a lot of free internet content.
Old May 6, '13, 8:42 pm
Banned

Good for you!

The Roku is really good for streaming all sorts of tv programs, movies, facebook- everything there is out there- right through your tv. I use mine for everything, even listening to old time radio!
Old May 6, '13, 8:51 pm

Religion: Catholic since 1976!

What does anyone need tv for? I watch a few shows when I visit my sister once or twice a year - haven't yet seen anything worth watching. Excpet reruns of the Andy Griffith Show.
Northeast Washington

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

Good used books at BonniesBooks.net

Catholic since '76!
Old May 6, '13, 9:25 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thanks to all for the technical tips.
Old May 6, '13, 9:28 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

About the only reason I still have cable TV (basic cable) is because of EWTN and The Weather Channel. I will very rarely watch one of the other channels like Discovery Channel or National Geographic Channel but as I said, it is very rare that I do that. But yeah, I can't hardly even watch TV anymore because of the garbage one finds on it all the time.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old May 6, '13, 9:45 pm

I ran out of things to watch It seems like all there is on these days is "reality" shows

About all I ever watch now is TCM and Silver Screen (for the old movies )and sometimes PBS
Old May 6, '13, 9:59 pm

i quit watching tv 14 months ago. i have watched a few sports games at restaurants since. i felt as though tv was getting in the way of exercise, prayer, the spiritual life, and other responsibilities. i would recommend quitting tv to anyone who can and wants to. i also found that when i watch alot of tv, my mind is oft to wander when i otherwise need to be concentrating on something important. my mental energy has been high since i stopped watching
Old May 6, '13, 11:52 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayHarder View Post
Another good choice for media center software is Plex.
PLEX is awesome!
Old May 7, '13, 2:00 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
What does anyone need tv for? I watch a few shows when I visit my sister once or twice a year - haven't yet seen anything worth watching. Excpet reruns of the Andy Griffith Show.
You are definitely smarter than I am. I watch way too many sports events (mostly baseball) on TV. Think of all the books I could be reading.
Old May 7, '13, 2:12 pm

Religion: Catholic since 1976!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Dave View Post
Think of all the books I could be reading.
I first jettisoned the tv back in the late 70's. Had a couple of relapses due to husband & kids (look at what we're missing!) but they finally came around. It helps to be in an area where there are no tv signals unless we get sallelite tv.

I would give up my computer before I'd give up books. One relative by marriage doesn't quite understand our love affair with books. I told her that my sisters & I were born with books in our hands!
Northeast Washington

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10

Good used books at BonniesBooks.net

Catholic since '76!
Old May 7, '13, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
About the only reason I still have cable TV (basic cable) is because of EWTN and The Weather Channel. I will very rarely watch one of the other channels like Discovery Channel or National Geographic Channel but as I said, it is very rare that I do that. But yeah, I can't hardly even watch TV anymore because of the garbage one finds on it all the time.
With the wireless setup I described in the OP, I'm currently watching EWTN live and streaming on my 42" LED HDTV in 1920 X 1080 resolution using the whole screen for free. And we get the local weather channel and other channels, some in HD, for free using the $10 RCA rabbit ears. When you turn on your TV it defaults to cable (probably a conspiracy deal with the cable companies), so in the set up all you have to do is change the default to "Antenna" or "Air" and it will start searching for the channels.
Old May 8, '13, 5:52 pm

We got rid of cable 2 1/2 years ago. We don't even have the local channels. I have a great loathing for rabbit ears. We have Netflix and Cruncyroll. I honestly don't miss it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media