Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 10, '13, 4:56 pm
Ace Corona Ace Corona is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 30, 2012
Posts: 33
Religion: Protestant
Default What is JUG like?

I had another thread where I told people about a story I wanted to write about a girl who attends a Catholic high school, and several people there told me about JUG, it is like detention for Catholic school students.

Among other questions I asked in that thread, I wanted to know what JUG was like based on the personal experiences of people who attended it, but my question was ignored in favor of other issues brought up in that thread. That's why I created this thread, so I can find out more about this specific aspect of Catholic school, because some of my characters will find themselves in JUG (or Justice Under God) from time to time.

So, does anyone have any personal experience with Catholic school detention and what goes on there?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 10, '13, 5:18 pm
Ace Corona Ace Corona is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 30, 2012
Posts: 33
Religion: Protestant
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Thanks for the link Fairwinds, I appreciate having the definition defined for me, but I am also interested in anyone's personal experiences, and what goes on there, what it is like from a personal perspective.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 10, '13, 7:07 pm
Equites Christi Equites Christi is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 26, 2007
Posts: 638
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is JUG like?

I was in Catholic schools from K-12 and never heard of JUG.

I was in detention a couple of times in 8th grade. We just sat there while a CD played of nuns singing Gregorian chant
__________________
Iésus Iorna, os iqui dau aembur.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 10, '13, 7:13 pm
Ace Corona Ace Corona is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 30, 2012
Posts: 33
Religion: Protestant
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equites Christi View Post
I was in Catholic schools from K-12 and never heard of JUG.

I was in detention a couple of times in 8th grade. We just sat there while a CD played of nuns singing Gregorian chant
Thank you, Equites Christi
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 10, '13, 7:21 pm
hsmomforlife hsmomforlife is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 9, 2011
Posts: 403
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is JUG like?

LOL! I went to a Jesuit College Prep, ended up in JUG a few times more than I wanted but not until you typed that did I understand what JUG stood for!LOL! But it makes PERFECT sense!LOL!!

We were given a copy of the 'rule' book to copy for the full 45 minute 8th period (which a few kids had for 'labs' if they were in chemistry). If a teacher showed up and requested some kids to help him/her for a while, then the 'chosen' could 'get out of JUG' and the rest of us sat an copied.
I'd be happy to help you with more details if you want...either post or PM me....
__________________
Quote:
Well-instructed Catholics may become backsliders, but their number is small in comparison with those who are lost to the Church because their ignorance of Catholic teaching made them easy victims of the purveyors of false science, shallow philosophy, and neo-pagan morality.Fr. John Laux, M.A.

Last edited by hsmomforlife; May 10, '13 at 7:23 pm. Reason: additional details
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 10, '13, 7:23 pm
Ace Corona Ace Corona is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 30, 2012
Posts: 33
Religion: Protestant
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomforlife View Post
LOL! I went to a Jesuit College Prep, ended up in JUG a few times more than I wanted but not until you typed that did I understand what JUG stood for!LOL! But it makes PERFECT sense!LOL!!

We were given a copy of the 'rule' book to copy for the full 45 minute 8th period (which a few kids had for 'labs' if they were in chemistry). If a teacher showed up and requested some kids to help him/her for a while, then the 'chosen' could 'get out of JUG' and the rest of us sat an copied.
Thank you so much, hsmomforlife! Can you tell me a little bit about what this rule book consisted of, or provide a link?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 10, '13, 7:27 pm
bzkoss236's Avatar
bzkoss236 bzkoss236 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 11, 2011
Posts: 2,923
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equites Christi View Post
I was in Catholic schools from K-12 and never heard of JUG.
Same.

I had one detention in 5th grade, but all we did were sheets of math problems the hole time.
__________________
St. Bernard, pray for us!
Help us to fight for truth,
Help us to know truth,
Help us to follow our
Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Amen.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 10, '13, 7:33 pm
Usige's Avatar
Usige Usige is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 17, 2007
Posts: 1,647
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is JUG like?

JUG (aka Judgement Under God) seems to be prevalent mostly in Jesuit schools. At least every time I've heard of it it was people who attended Jesuit high schools. I didn't go to Catholics schools but had several friends that attended both Jesuit and Christian Brothers schools.

From my understanding JUG wasn't detention so much as punishment with a pseudo community service feel. In dentention you usually sit there and stare at the wall or maybe do some type of essay. JUG always had some type of work associated with it. Things I remember friends telling me included pulling weeds around the school, washing desks, cleaning up the library. The focus was definitely on doing something rather than sitting somewhere serving time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 10, '13, 8:19 pm
ChurchSoldier's Avatar
ChurchSoldier ChurchSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 5, 2012
Posts: 1,165
Religion: Anglican
Default Re: What is JUG like?

You sit there and finish homework from the night before while trying not to fall asleep.
__________________
Be nice. Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 10, '13, 8:38 pm
surritter surritter is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 13, 2008
Posts: 2,026
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is JUG like?

A JUG is just another name for a detention, Catholic-school style. You stay after school for an hour and do homework or reading or busy work given by the moderator. That's it, at least in my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 10, '13, 8:53 pm
Ace Corona Ace Corona is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 30, 2012
Posts: 33
Religion: Protestant
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usige View Post
JUG (aka Judgement Under God) seems to be prevalent mostly in Jesuit schools. At least every time I've heard of it it was people who attended Jesuit high schools. I didn't go to Catholics schools but had several friends that attended both Jesuit and Christian Brothers schools.

From my understanding JUG wasn't detention so much as punishment with a pseudo community service feel. In dentention you usually sit there and stare at the wall or maybe do some type of essay. JUG always had some type of work associated with it. Things I remember friends telling me included pulling weeds around the school, washing desks, cleaning up the library. The focus was definitely on doing something rather than sitting somewhere serving time.
What is the difference between Jesuit school and Catholic school?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 10, '13, 9:17 pm
Usige's Avatar
Usige Usige is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 17, 2007
Posts: 1,647
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
What is the difference between Jesuit school and Catholic school?
The Society of Jesus (aka the Jesuits) are a religious order that run many high schools and universities. While they are often associated with education, their original formation was to combat protestantism.

On the other hand the Brothers of the Christian Schools (aka the Christian Brothers or the Lasallian Brothers) are a congregation formed specifically to teach and evangelize young people.

Both are Catholic schools and similar in many ways (e.g. high academic standards and high tuition cost). I don't know specifically how their educational philosophy differs. 20 years ago when I was in high school the major difference between the local Jesuit school (Regis) and the Christian Brothers (Mullen) was that Regis was a boys only school, where as Mullen was coed. Even today Regis has a split campus with a girls and boys campus on the same land, but classes are male or female only. At least at the local level the Jesuit highschool seemed to be more strict, but the Brothers aren't exactly pushovers. Both had more discipline than my local public highschool.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 10, '13, 9:27 pm
Ace Corona Ace Corona is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 30, 2012
Posts: 33
Religion: Protestant
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usige View Post
The Society of Jesus (aka the Jesuits) are a religious order that run many high schools and universities. While they are often associated with education, their original formation was to combat protestantism.

On the other hand the Brothers of the Christian Schools (aka the Christian Brothers or the Lasallian Brothers) are a congregation formed specifically to teach and evangelize young people.

Both are Catholic schools and similar in many ways (e.g. high academic standards and high tuition cost). I don't know specifically how their educational philosophy differs. 20 years ago when I was in high school the major difference between the local Jesuit school (Regis) and the Christian Brothers (Mullen) was that Regis was a boys only school, where as Mullen was coed. Even today Regis has a split campus with a girls and boys campus on the same land, but classes are male or female only. At least at the local level the Jesuit highschool seemed to be more strict, but the Brothers aren't exactly pushovers. Both had more discipline than my local public highschool.
Usige, thank you so much for your informative post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 11, '13, 6:07 am
hsmomforlife hsmomforlife is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 9, 2011
Posts: 403
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
Thank you so much, hsmomforlife! Can you tell me a little bit about what this rule book consisted of, or provide a link?
I couldn't find the book on line but there was some information on the school's 'Dean's Office' page
Not all of the dress code was the same when I was there...we didn't dare bare our midriff, but there were some funky studded collars etc.

TARDINESS

Tardy students must report to the Deans' Office immediately upon arrival at school.A letter is sent home when a student accumulates four (4) tardies. With the next tardy and every tardy thereafter, the student is required to serve a detention.Usually a detention is given every time a student arrives after 8:30 a.m. or 9:15 a.m. on a late start day.A note or call from a parent does not automatically excuse a student.
DRESS AND APPEARANCE STANDARDS

Below are the dress and personal appearance standards for all students at Saint Ignatius. Any student’s dress or appearance, while not specifically outlined below, may be considered unacceptable if it is in violation of the neatness, moderation, modesty, spirit and/or intent of these standards as determined exclusively by the Deans of Students.

General Standards:

Neatness, cleanliness, moderation, and modesty should guide appearance and selection of student dress.
Extreme hairstyles are not permitted. The school reserves the right to define “extreme.”
Ornaments and decorations associated with body piercing and visible tattoos are not permitted in school or at school-sponsored events, including but not limited to dances and athletic events. The only exception is earrings for girls.
Chains, key chains, and key rings that attach to clothing in any way may not be worn.
Jewelry and belts that are spiked, studded or dog collar style are not allowed.
No article of clothing may be tied around the waist or thrown over the shoulders.
All outerwear, including fleece, must be placed in the student’s locker upon arrival at school. It is not to be brought to class.
No denim clothing is permitted.
Clothing with logos from other high schools is not permitted.
All students must wear their IDs on lanyards provided by the school.
Boy's Standards

Dress slacks worn at the waist, no jean styled slacks regardless of the material, and no fleece pants, sweatpants, or pants with drawstrings.
Turtlenecks, collared long/short sleeved or polo shirts (no writing) that button down the front, tucked in at all times with an optional plain white undershirt. Shirts are to be buttoned at least to the collarbone.
Dress belt/dress suspenders.
Pullover (either crew or v-necked) or cardigan sweaters worn over a collared shirt.
Dress shoes/gym shoes.
Slippers or slipper-type shoes are not permitted.
Clean-shaven with sideburns not extending beyond the lowest opening of the ear—sideburns cannot be flared or tapered to a point.
Hair must be cut above the collar, off the face and above the ears. Ponytails and coloring are not allowed.
Girl's Standards

Dress slacks with a relaxed fit worn at the waist, no jean styled slacks regardless of the material, and no velour, fleece, lounge pants, sweatpants, pants with drawstrings, or leggings.
Skirts or dresses that hit the knee or are longer.
Collared long/short sleeved (no cap sleeves) blouses or polo shirts (no writing) that button down the front and cover the midriff at all times, turtlenecks worn underneath a collared blouse, a cardigan sweater or a pullover sweater. Blouses or shirts are to be buttoned at least to the collarbone.
Cardigan/pullover sweaters that cover the midriff at all times worn over a button down blouse/polo shirt.
Dress shoes/gym shoes.
Slippers or slipper-type shoes are not permitted.
Maximum of two earrings per ear.
Hair must be a natural color.
__________________
Quote:
Well-instructed Catholics may become backsliders, but their number is small in comparison with those who are lost to the Church because their ignorance of Catholic teaching made them easy victims of the purveyors of false science, shallow philosophy, and neo-pagan morality.Fr. John Laux, M.A.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 11, '13, 10:18 am
Ace Corona Ace Corona is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 30, 2012
Posts: 33
Religion: Protestant
Default Re: What is JUG like?

Thank you hsmomforlife!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8448Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: jerrythetrucker
5139CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: hopeful01
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3733Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3315Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3280Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3223Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3107For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:48 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.