Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 13, '13, 6:51 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Catholic child sponsorship program?

I am wondering if anybody knows of a good, reputable Catholic child sponsorship program similar to Compassion International? Does anybody have experience with one in particular?
Old May 13, '13, 8:31 am

Default Re: Catholic child sponsorship program?

The Mary Mother of God Mission Society has several programs in Far Eastern Russia -- including a guardian angel program (child/family sponsorship) and an orphanage grandma program (with donors providing stipends for grandmas to work in orphanages and bond with children so the children do not develop attachment disorders).
www.vladmission.org
http://www.vladmission.org/Grandma%2...aMentoring.htm
http://www.vladmission.org/ProjectGu...an%20Angel.htm
Old May 14, '13, 12:48 pm
Prayer Warrior

Christian Foundation for Children and Aging. http://www.cfcausa.org/
Old May 15, '13, 9:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (cradle)

I use CFCA. I sponsor two little girls in South America: Vale, who is eighteen month old, and Nicole,who is seven. I love it! I have it set up so they take the donation from my checking account online, so I don't forget it. The program lets me write letters to them and send them extra money for Christmas and birthdays. I'd recommend it!

Stop by my blog and say hello!
www.timeonthemountaintop.blogspot.com
Old May 15, '13, 9:31 pm
Forum Elder

Chalice is good.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old May 16, '13, 7:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Dog-paddling the Tiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenswithkids View Post
Christian Foundation for Children and Aging. http://www.cfcausa.org/
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMusicaSenior View Post
I use CFCA. I sponsor two little girls in South America: Vale, who is eighteen month old, and Nicole,who is seven. I love it! I have it set up so they take the donation from my checking account online, so I don't forget it. The program lets me write letters to them and send them extra money for Christmas and birthdays. I'd recommend it!
Yes, I also sponsor via CFCA

My little girl in Bolivia grew up and left the program to move to another country with relatives. Now I have a little girl in India

Another nice thing about the program is: you can take a mission trip to visit your sponsored child (or elderly friend; CFCA also has a sponsorship program for the elderly). I haven't done this, but it sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime special memory!

No Catholic Radio in your area? Listen online free: http://ihradio.org/wp-content/themes...io/listen.html

Ready for college? Check THIS out http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ganIqre0QE
Old Jun 7, '13, 10:13 pm

Do you think there something wrong with Compassion, or just the fact that it isn't Catholic?

I have a sponsored child through Compassion, and while it isn't Catholic, I find that it is a good Christian organization.
Old Jun 12, '13, 8:35 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

The problem with Compassion is that they actively participate in the fragmenting of christianity in countries that historically were catholic. They don't just provide food, clothing and a basic education, they "educate" children in the errors of Roman Catholicism and the "correct" interpretation of the bible found in evangelical protestantism. It's one thing to support Compassion in a place like India where it is unlikely that they are working to convert catholics. It's rather another to support them in a catholic country where they are doing harm along with the good.

CFCA kicks Compassion's behind in efficiency of the money donated too at 94% making it to the local program (though Compassion is excellent in that regard when compared to secular charities at 84%.) IIRC, much of the higher monthly sponsorship cost in Compassion's program goes to support their higher overhead costs. In other words, similar amounts actually make it to supporting the child.
Old Jun 12, '13, 8:49 am

Mary's Meals does not provide one-on-one sponsorship like you may be looking for, but wow are they doing great work feeding children! I got to hear the founder (Magnus MacFarlane) speak and I'm so impressed with him and with this organization.

Read the Catholic Bible in a Year ... a clickable reading plan that you can start any time!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014