Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 5, '05, 12:52 pm

Default corruption and non-corrupted bodies

here's one that no one has asked me about recently, but i've wondered about it a few times.

aren't there certain popes and saints whose bodies never decayed or "corrupted" and are even on display in glass cases somewhere?

is this really true, and has it happened without any embalming or attempt at artificial preservation by us living humans?

has this been substantiated by science, so as to be a "proof" to non-catholics? (isn't it sad/funny/ironic that so many non-cats need "science" to prove their "faith?").

any help you can be would be appreciated.

in Christ,

tad
Old Oct 5, '05, 1:13 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: corruption and non-corrupted bodies

You can look that up on the internet. Go to yahoo and type in "incorruptibles."

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Old Oct 5, '05, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratusRose
You can look that up on the internet. Go to yahoo and type in "incorruptibles."
wow! you ain't kiddin'! i did do a search and did some quick reading and am intrigued by this, but, of course, it also brings more questions...

have "non-biased" scientists examined these bodies or made a statement on the subject?

are there any cases of incorruption outside the Church?

does the Church have an official stance on the subject?

thanks again...

in Christ,

tad
Old Oct 5, '05, 2:55 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
have "non-biased" scientists examined these bodies or made a statement on the subject?
The Church always seeks out "non-biased" scientists to verify such things precisely so non-Catholics cannot claim fraud, but there are some who wouldn't be convinced if they did the tests themselves, even if they came to the same conclusions. Most who say the Church chooses biased scientists know nothing about who is chosen or why, and sadly, they don't care.
Old Oct 5, '05, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della
The Church always seeks out "non-biased" scientists to verify such things precisely so non-Catholics cannot claim fraud, but there are some who wouldn't be convinced if they did the tests themselves, even if they came to the same conclusions. Most who say the Church chooses biased scientists know nothing about who is chosen or why, and sadly, they don't care.

This is true. The Church also gets non-biased scientists to test the Eucharist when a miracle happens. And "coincidentally" the blood they test always ends up being the same blood type!

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Old Oct 19, '05, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della
so as far as you know, and as far as the Church is concerned, these non-corrupted bodies are real and true? if so, i think that is pretty cool, also the fact that the Church does not seem to make a big deal about them is also cool. after all, if they started bragging about these bodies, i can see how it would really turn off non-catholics. do you know if non-corruption happens outside of the Catholic Church? i sure don't hear about it...

thanks again.

in Christ,

tad
Old Oct 19, '05, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratusRose

This is true. The Church also gets non-biased scientists to test the Eucharist when a miracle happens. And "coincidentally" the blood they test always ends up being the same blood type!
ya, i really got into it with my protestant bible study group over the Eucharist last week. we got to Matthews account of the Last Supper and one of the guys there (an ex-catholic) asked the group why "we" (meaning the prots in the room) don't take the Lord literally when He says, "is." He didn't get a very good answer from them!

what exactly were you referring to on "testing the Eucharist when a miracle happens?" did you mean after every mass, or some other occurrance attributable to the Eucharist and the Real Presence? i'm assuming they don't find actual blood cells in the wine (right?), but like i've asked my protestant friends who say "Jesus is in my heart", i ask them if a surgeon opened up your chest right now, would he find a little Jesus camped out in your aorta? it is then that the discussion gets REAL good! : )

in Christ,

tad
Old Oct 19, '05, 12:41 pm

Religion: Catholic- Latin Rite

Quote:
"testing the Eucharist when a miracle happens?
I think he was referring to the times at which the accidents- the appearances of bread and wine- phisically change to body and blood . usually that's what "eucharistic miracle" refers to, although of course the consecration is ALWAYS a miracle jesus has promised which happens at every mass.
http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/a3.html
Old Oct 19, '05, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sententia
I think he was referring to the times at which the accidents- the appearances of bread and wine- phisically change to body and blood . usually that's what "eucharistic miracle" refers to, although of course the consecration is ALWAYS a miracle jesus has promised which happens at every mass.
http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/a3.html
I'm a she.

And yes, this is what I meant. There have been instances where a priest would just get done consecrating the host and a drop of human blood will fall from the blessed sacrament. There are also pictures of people who have received communion and it looks like they have a mouthful of blood. Look up Eucharistic Miracles.

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Old Oct 19, '05, 1:17 pm

Send a message via AIM to turboEDvo

Check out the Eucharistic miracle at Lanciano, Italy.

http://www.therealpresence.org/eucha.../lanciano.html

Very cool.

As for non-biased scientists, the Church allowed some non-Christian (some athiests, some agnostic, etc) scientists to examine it. They used a special method of analysis that uses the directional orientation to determine how an image was made. So, first they found that the image had in fact been created while the shroud was draped over a body. Then, they found that the image was so precise (color markings on one strand of one fiber and no markings or bleeding through to the next fiber in that strand) that it couldn't have even been produced by modern technology. As I recall, a bunch of them converted, or something.

Eamon
Old Oct 19, '05, 1:28 pm

I've seen a couple in Europe - in the Catholic countries, it seems like you don't have to go too far to find a church that has the uncorrupted body of a saint. While I have to admit that the American in me gets "creeped out", if you study it even a little it is indeed a miracle. They really do look like they're fully intact people who are just sleeping, & they are nothing like the bog people or Egyptian mummies that are obviously partially or mostly decayed.

Since this has been happening for centuries, surely there must be a good deal of reliable research by doctors, etc. If you accept that fact that God is omnipotent and that there are some things that he has shown us that can't be fully understood, then incorruptibility becomes much easier to accept.
Old Oct 19, '05, 2:20 pm

Thumbs up Re: corruption and non-corrupted bodies

I have seen St.Francis Xaviour`s uncorrupted body in 1978, that time it was 425 years old which is in Goa, India.

In Christ,
selvaraj
Old Oct 20, '05, 8:59 am

St Rita and St Bernadette (of Lourdes fame) and St. Catherine are several whose bodies are incorrupt. St. Bernadette looks like she is just sleeping. St. Rita at 400 + years is not as well preserved but after 400 years that's still quite a feat.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence