Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 5, '05, 7:23 pm

Question How do I find a Traditional Catholic Confirmation Sponsor?

I plan of receiving Confirmation at a legitimate Tridentine Mass.

The trouble is, I don't know how to go about finding a decent Sponsor.

There was a Priest that I would have loved to be my Sponsor, but I don't think that he can do it.

Many of the Catholics that I know are either too liberal, too schismatic, or too young.

Does anybody know if it is acceptable to be Confirmed without a Sponsor?

Thank you for your help!
Old Oct 5, '05, 7:29 pm

Default Re: How do I find a Traditional Catholic Confirmation Sponsor?

Email or send a letter to Archbishop Burke.
Old Oct 5, '05, 7:30 pm

Religion: RC

The key is to meet more people, if none of your relatives or current acquaintances are acceptable.

Join the parish St. Vincent de paul society or become involved in the parish carnival or Night at the races, and start talking to people.

You'll find someone appropriate I would think as you expand your social circle.
Old Oct 5, '05, 7:39 pm

Question Re: How do I find a Traditional Catholic Confirmation Sponsor?

I have an opportunity to get Confirmed in Saint Louis, Missouri on October 15.

Would it be too late to sign up for that, do you think?

I also happen to know that Bishop Rifan(www.adapostolica.org) is coming to the US in November. His Excellency will be at Lincoln, Nebraska; Washington, DC; and Providence, Rhode Island. So Bisop Rifan is another possibility.

I have no Parish at present, and I have been going to various Novus Ordo Masses. So I literally have no decent person to be my Sponsor.

It is too late to get involved in any Parish life.

Is it acceptable to get Confirmed without a Sponsor? Because I may have to do that, if I can't find a good one.

Thank you!
Old Oct 5, '05, 7:54 pm

Religion: RC

Quote:
Is it acceptable to get Confirmed without a Sponsor? Because I may have to do that, if I can't find a good one.
Its certainly possible for someone to get confirmed without a sponsor, but it seems pretty irregular to do so.

At this point in time, it would probably be hard to find anyone whose schedule is open just ten days from now with the ability and willingness to travel to St. Louis on such short notice. Doubly so, considering your apparent high standards for whom you would accept as a sponsor.

Maybe if you talk to the priest, he knows someone who will be on location already and would be willing to take part as a sponsor.
Old Oct 5, '05, 9:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Why don't you try to hit a daily Mass? The more conservative crowd usually hangs out there. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I'm sure there's somebody at your local parish who's not liberal, schismatic, etc. Good luck!
Old Oct 6, '05, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear06
Why don't you try to hit a daily Mass? The more conservative crowd usually hangs out there. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I'm sure there's somebody at your local parish who's not liberal, schismatic, etc. Good luck!
I need to find a Confirmation Sponsor who is a Catholic Traditionalist, that is, one who LOVES the Tridentine Mass. The daily Mass that I went to today(in another city) had THREE lay people(two of them women) helping the Priest to distribute Holy Communion. The Priest could probably have done it himself in five minutes or less! There were other abuses, as well for example: the Priest said "We should be happy to be called to this meal!".

If I have a female Sponsor, I need one who ALWAYS covers her head in Church. Such women are very hard to find.

I truly don't know who to pick!
Old Oct 6, '05, 12:58 pm

So... I take it contacting the good Bishop is out of the question?

Old Oct 6, '05, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway4321
So... I take it contacting the good Bishop is out of the question?

I don't know, does he have an e-mail address? If I were to call his office, I would either have to specifically get long-distance minutes for my cell phone, which has unlimited local minutes.

And I also don't know whether it is too late to sign up for this particular Confirmation.

And finally, Bishop Rifan is one of my all-time heroes.

I am having a hard time deciding!
Old Oct 6, '05, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLatin
I need to find a Confirmation Sponsor who is a Catholic Traditionalist, that is, one who LOVES the Tridentine Mass. The daily Mass that I went to today(in another city) had THREE lay people(two of them women) helping the Priest to distribute Holy Communion. The Priest could probably have done it himself in five minutes or less! There were other abuses, as well for example: the Priest said "We should be happy to be called to this meal!".

If I have a female Sponsor, I need one who ALWAYS covers her head in Church. Such women are very hard to find.

I truly don't know who to pick!
Why do you need to find someone who loves the Tridentine? Why do you need someone who will cover their head all of the time? It would seem prudent for them to take a "when in Rome" stance for a sacrament performed at a Tridentine Mass.

From the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia:
Quote:
The Church prescribes under pain of grievous sin that a sponsor, or godparent, shall stand for the person confirmed. The sponsor should be at least fourteen years of age, of the same sex as the candidate, should have already received the Sacrament of Confirmation, and be well instructed in the Catholic Faith. From this office are excluded the father and mother of the candidate, members of a religious order (unless the candidate be a religious), public sinners, and those who are under public ban of interdict or excommunication. Except in case of necessity the baptismal godparent cannot serve as sponsor for the same person in confirmation

Last edited by bear06; Oct 6, '05 at 1:15 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 6, '05, 1:51 pm

Quote:
I don't know, does he have an e-mail address? If I were to call his office, I would either have to specifically get long-distance minutes for my cell phone, which has unlimited local minutes.

And I also don't know whether it is too late to sign up for this particular Confirmation.

And finally, Bishop Rifan is one of my all-time heroes.

I am having a hard time deciding!
He probably does, but it seems to be too big of a deal to go about it.

If this Bishop Rifan is your "hero" then he's your man.
Old Oct 6, '05, 3:02 pm

Smile Re: How do I find a Traditional Catholic Confirmation Sponsor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear06
Why do you need to find someone who loves the Tridentine? Why do you need someone who will cover their head all of the time? It would seem prudent for them to take a "when in Rome" stance for a sacrament performed at a Tridentine Mass.

From the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia:
Because people who are devoted to the Tridentine Mass simply think differently than other people. It's a whole different mindset.
Old Oct 6, '05, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Because people who are devoted to the Tridentine Mass simply think differently than other people. It's a whole different mindset.
So basically it's not really a need, it's a want. So what is the mindset of those that don't attend a TLM? It must be a pretty important difference if you don't feel that you could ever use one of us as a sponsor.
Old Oct 6, '05, 4:02 pm

First, why this picking and choosing of when to get confirmed and by whom? I mean, if I was given the option of being confirmed at my normal parish with my usual priest or waiting a month and being confirmed by the pope when he visited our parish for a confirmation mass, I think I would postpone for the month. But all this going all over the country to pick and choose who will confirm you where seems odd to me. What does it matter what the faith of the priest is? What matters is YOUR faith.

Similarly, I find it odd that you want to find a sponsor who meets all these criteria to get confirmed within the month. While I can understand your desire to have someone who supports your views to be in the role of sponsor, you are then taking out all the "sponsor" jobs of helping you to grow in your faith and just sticking the person with the ceremonial duty of standing beside you. Why then does it matter who stands there, when you have diminished the role already?

Lastly, there have been several suggestions to help you in your search (contacting various bishops, for example) and you brush those away and instead want to charge forward on your own. What then are you looking for here? Someone to say s/he will sponsor you?
For when you turn away and weep, then you will be saved.
--Saint Basil

Old Oct 6, '05, 6:08 pm

I'm glad that at least in some places they have Confirmations and maybe Baptisms in the Traditional mold. Out here in San Diego you have to go through your normal Parish for the sacraments. They don't have permission from the Bishop here to have them here in the Traditional fashion. Maybe one day.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments