Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 29, '13, 10:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default My faith and my struggle.

Greetings to you all!

There has been something bothering me the past couple of days and I would like some help. You see, I have never really told anyone about what I have because I'm afraid that I'll be ostracized for what I'm going to say so here it goes...

I have a mild case of Bipolar Disorder.

There are days where I can never see the good the world has to offer, let alone God's love and grace he gives to us all. I fall into despair, thinking God doesn't love me which leads me to unhealthy thoughts like (in very VERY extreme times) suicide and what would happen if I were to attempt it. Then there are days where I'm functioning well and can laugh and have a good time and I feel "normal." There are times, too, where I feel my faith is slipping through my fingers and I can't stop it. That is why I'm here to ask for help.

Is there a patron saint for mental illnesses? Or a novena to relieve this anguish I suffer?
Is my faith being compromised because of the mental battle I fight? What can I do to work with my diagnosis and be a functioning member of society?

And do not worry. I am getting professional treatment and aid to help me get through these times of trial.
Old May 29, '13, 11:27 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: My faith and my struggle.

I don't have a lot of answers for you, but I do have one: Saint Dymphna.

Hear us, O God, our Savior, as we honor St. Dymphna, patron of those afflicted with mental and emotional illness. Help us to be inspired by her example and comforted by her merciful help. Amen.

There are others listed here as well. St. Dymphna is my 'go-to' Saint. My biological father has severe mental illness, and my sister and I have various issues. Her Feast Day was May 15; there are Novenas to her available as well.

She is my Confirmation Saint; the Holy Spirit truly guided me to her 30 years ago! I have a statue of her, a Saint card, and a religious medal with a relic (3rd class, probably).

I have to believe that God loves me as I am; that includes any 'illnesses', and He knows my heart and soul.

God bless you, and may the help you are receiving assist you in getting better.

Prayers

Good St. Dymphna, you placed all your hope in Christ's promises, and sacrificed even your life in that hope. The Lord, God, rewarded your constancy by making your name known and loved over many centuries by the thousands whom you have aided in time of difficulty. Please assist us now in our present necessity, and intercede before God for our intentions. Obtain for us a firm hope like your own in God's unfailing protection. Amen.

Christina

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGeorgesSquire View Post
Greetings to you all!

There has been something bothering me the past couple of days and I would like some help. You see, I have never really told anyone about what I have because I'm afraid that I'll be ostracized for what I'm going to say so here it goes...

I have a mild case of Bipolar Disorder.

There are days where I can never see the good the world has to offer, let alone God's love and grace he gives to us all. I fall into despair, thinking God doesn't love me which leads me to unhealthy thoughts like (in very VERY extreme times) suicide and what would happen if I were to attempt it. Then there are days where I'm functioning well and can laugh and have a good time and I feel "normal." There are times, too, where I feel my faith is slipping through my fingers and I can't stop it. That is why I'm here to ask for help.

Is there a patron saint for mental illnesses? Or a novena to relieve this anguish I suffer?
Is my faith being compromised because of the mental battle I fight? What can I do to work with my diagnosis and be a functioning member of society?

And do not worry. I am getting professional treatment and aid to help me get through these times of trial.

Christina

*bbhn/bow* Philippians 2:10-11
Please visit my blog: Life is an open book test
Old May 29, '13, 11:33 pm

Religion: Catholic

I have a friend with Bipolar Disorder.

I am glad you are seeking professional help. I am wondering if you also know of anybody who would be a good spiritual director...not to help with your bipolar disorder in the way a mental health professional does, but to teach you to grow closer to God through this particular cross you are carrying.
Old May 30, '13, 3:01 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

I have nothing to add to the advice already given, but I just wanted you to know that the sort of spiritual difficulties you have can happen to anyone. I am not bipolar nor am I currently afflicted with any other psychological conditions, but I have days such as those you describe. I have neither contemplated ending nor attempted to end my life for over 20 years, but I know what it is like to be in that frame of mind. So while neither I nor anyone here can say for certain that your condition compromises your faith, I can tell you that such a condition is not necessary for faith to be compromised. It happens all the time, to all kinds of people, for a variety of reasons.

As mentioned by Incomplete, a spiritual director can assist you with holding onto and growing your faith in light of your particular challenges. Please consider seeking one, if you do not already have one. In the meantime, pray for St. Dymphna's intercession. I will remember you in my own daily prayers. God bless!

Just as God's will is creation and is called "the world," so his intention is the salvation of men, and it is called "the Church."
- St. Clement of Alexandria

Old May 30, '13, 6:25 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, latin rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGeorgesSquire View Post
St. Dymphna.

May I suggest a Novena to Our Lady Undoer of Knots? It has helped me a lot in the unknotting of not just sins but a number of fears that used to paralyze me. Perhaps you could pray the novena and ask Our Lady to help you with the specific challenges you face due to your condition.
He is the link: http://catholicism.about.com/od/To-M...r-of-Knots.htm

Your faith is not compromised. It is a cross you are carrying. God understands what you are going through, He suffers with you and carries you. Our faith teaches us about redemptive suffering. Suffering can go to waste so to speak, when people just go on suffering without giving it over to God. But if you offer it up and ask God to use your suffering for something, or you can ask for a specific cause, then it doesn't go to waste. In this way we spiritualise every aspect of our lives, even the most difficult ones. And the cross we carry can in that way become the source of our holiness.

When you fall into despair just let it pass. They are just feelings. Remember that you will feel happy and optimistic again. That is what I do when I feel panicky or desperate. I am learning to detach from those feelings and always remind myself that God is in control even though I may not be aware of that.
Old May 30, '13, 6:51 am

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic Christian

I have depression and recently discovered St Ignatius of Loyola's Prayer for the Depressed:

"O Christ Jesus, when all is darkness and we feel our weakness and helplessness, give us the sense of your presence, your love, and your strength. Help us to have perfect trust in your protecting love and strengthening power, so that nothing may frighten or worry us, for, living close to you, we shall see your hand, your purpose, your will through all things."
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite
Old May 30, '13, 7:55 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic

I pray to St Dymphna daily for intercession with my anxiety in dealing with my child who has neurological/emotional/behavioral related to several diagnoses. I really feel that praying to her helps to calm me. It is nice to see that you are getting help both professionally and spiritually. You are on the right track. Hang in there!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality