Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 31, '13, 6:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Catholic Scouts of St. Geroge

Catholic author and Eagle Scout Dr. Taylor Marshall is spearheading an effort to start a new scouting organization for boys. This is in response to the recent decision by the Boy Scouts of America National Council to admit homosexual members.

From reading his materials this will be a more traditional scouting movement based on Lord Baden-Powell's original vision for scouting.

More Here:
http://www.taylormarshall.com/2013/0...scouts-my.html

I am a 27 year old. I have 21 years in the scouts. I've been a camp program director for both cub and boy scouts. I have served as troop committee chair and as a scoutmaster. Finally, I serve on my diocese Catholic Committee on Scouting.

I feel like I'm being forced out of the organization that I've spent a lifetime loving. It looks as if we may be viewing the final days of Catholic scouting in the BSA. I hope this organization takes off.

Ask me about any of these wonderful organizations.
Old May 31, '13, 7:39 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic Scouts of St. Geroge

What a wonderful asset you have been to the scouts!
I hope this takes off as well. It could be the new trend; Catholic Scouting.
It's here but not very strong at all.
Old May 31, '13, 7:41 pm

I wouldn't give up on Boy Scouts so suddenly. They haven't agreed to teach homosexuality, simply to accept boys who identify as gay. As Catholics, we are called to treat homosexual people with respect and love and accepting a gay boy into a scout troop doesn't affirm his sexual feelings or actions as far as I can see. In addition, Girls Scouts has been known to promote all manner of unsavory things and nearly every parish in my area has a troop. I wouldn't expect to be pushed out of Boy Scouts any time soon.
Old May 31, '13, 7:51 pm

Read this before you decide to abandon the Scouts...

http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/20...ship-policies/

AND

http://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/20...y-controversy/
Old May 31, '13, 8:17 pm

I think it would be more effective if many of the Christian charters simply formed a new scouts, not just a Catholic scouts. Then each charter can develop it's own identity similar to what he describes here. But when it comes to resources, they can pool their resources and therefore afford the bigger events.

We are looking at more than half of all the BSA troops affected by this sort of nonsense. Why not just create a new scout organization with more individuality in each charter? The core Christian morality can easily be retained.
Old May 31, '13, 8:30 pm

Religion: Syro malabar

If you look at the new constitution, it is not out of line with Church teaching. A priest in the Midwest stated this. Search the news.
Old May 31, '13, 8:45 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am currently a very devoted Roman Catholic and I am very grounded in my faith and I also am a life scout in the Boy Scouts of America and I am also the go to religious guy in my troop the chaplain aide as it were. And I would like to say I could care less if they allow gays in scouts. For Christ turned and turns away nobody he was very welcoming to all so I will try and live his example by not turning away any race creed faith sexual orientation culture or background in my life and scouting career. I feel that I must live by Jesus' example in the bible by not turning away anyone. For I can't judge and should not judge for the only individual that can judge is God himself. Thank you all and God bless.
Old May 31, '13, 8:55 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
I wouldn't give up on Boy Scouts so suddenly. They haven't agreed to teach homosexuality, simply to accept boys who identify as gay. As Catholics, we are called to treat homosexual people with respect and love and accepting a gay boy into a scout troop doesn't affirm his sexual feelings or actions as far as I can see. In addition, Girls Scouts has been known to promote all manner of unsavory things and nearly every parish in my area has a troop. I wouldn't expect to be pushed out of Boy Scouts any time soon.
THIS . where is the op's caritas? love them. why do you want to exlude any of God's children? pretend that they just don't exist?

Domine, non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum: sed tantum dic verbo, et sanabitur anima mea.
Old May 31, '13, 10:43 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by datritle View Post
THIS . where is the op's caritas? love them. why do you want to exlude any of God's children? pretend that they just don't exist?
Telling a child that he should identify as "gay" or "homosexual" is child abuse.

Children should not define themselves, nor be defined, by adult sexual perversions. Or maybe the BSA should start admitting "S&M kids" too? Here's a 10-year old that says he likes to be restrained and flogged?

What is this world coming to?
Old Jun 1, '13, 1:30 am

I was involved in the scouts for years, so I've seen this organization's growing folly related to all things involved in the proper education of boys. E.g. the ongoing demasculinization in direct response to our litigous culture and the transformation of the rank system into another ugly facet of our ultimately utilitarian meritocracy. While the new ruling is, in itself, more in line with Catholic teaching than its predecessor, the circumstances surrounding its acceptance and the fact that the BSA (by design) has no firm moral/intellectual tradition give a pretty clear indicator of where this organization is headed. I think it is much better for Catholics to set up an alternative now, while there is still an option, rather than wait for the Catholic scouting world to descend into chaos once the BSA *does* decide to officially support something intrinsically evil.

"I do want to threaten you," said Father Brown, in a voice like a rolling drum, "I want to threaten you with the worm that dieth not, and the fire that is not quenched."
Old Jun 1, '13, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francoist View Post
Telling a child that he should identify as "gay" or "homosexual" is child abuse.

Children should not define themselves, nor be defined, by adult sexual perversions. Or maybe the BSA should start admitting "S&M kids" too? Here's a 10-year old that says he likes to be restrained and flogged?

What is this world coming to?
It is my understanding that the Boy Scouts are not telling a child that he should identify as gay, but they will allow him to be a member even if he does. Unless I'm missing something, and I admit I haven't spent a great deal of time researching the subject.
Old Jun 1, '13, 7:43 am

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Thumbs up Re: Catholic Scouts of St. Geroge

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslooking View Post
Catholic author and Eagle Scout Dr. Taylor Marshall is spearheading an effort to start a new scouting organization for boys. This is in response to the recent decision by the Boy Scouts of America National Council to admit homosexual members.

From reading his materials this will be a more traditional scouting movement based on Lord Baden-Powell's original vision for scouting.

More Here:
http://www.taylormarshall.com/2013/0...scouts-my.html

I am a 27 year old. I have 21 years in the scouts. I've been a camp program director for both cub and boy scouts. I have served as troop committee chair and as a scoutmaster. Finally, I serve on my diocese Catholic Committee on Scouting.

I feel like I'm being forced out of the organization that I've spent a lifetime loving. It looks as if we may be viewing the final days of Catholic scouting in the BSA. I hope this organization takes off.

Thanks for the link I love his blog. God bless him.

Pax.
Old Jun 1, '13, 12:39 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

People seem to be missing the real problems with the BSA accepting gay scouts.

1) "Gay" is not the same as same sex attraction. Identifying as "gay" is giving into an immoral lifestyle.

2) No scout (under the age of 18) should be sexually active and therefor should not identify themselves sexually.

3) Under BSA rules there is no hazing, all members beliefs must be accepted. i.e. Religious troops have to accept gay scouts and not teach that homosexuality is morally wrong.

4) Allowing gay scouts in is just a stepping stone to allowing gay leaders. What happens in two years when a self proclaimed gay Eagle Scout graduates out of Venturing (age 21) and now wants to become an adult leader? By the rules scouting would say no. It's just a matter of time before the media would pick up the discrimination banner again. I give it three years before openly gay leaders become allowed in the scouts.

5) Once homosexuality is allowed in scout leadership it will be mandated that all troops (including Catholic troops) follow the rules. In other words a Catholic troop would not be able to reject a gay man or lesbian woman who wants to volunteer.

These are the issues at hand. This isn't about allowing gay boys into scouting. This is the gay culture trying to corrupt society by teaching our youth that homosexuality isn't immoral.

Ask me about any of these wonderful organizations.
Old Jun 1, '13, 12:43 pm
Banned

Religion: RC

Quote:
4) Allowing gay scouts in is just a stepping stone to allowing gay leaders. What happens in two years when a self proclaimed gay Eagle Scout graduates out of Venturing (age 21) and now wants to become an adult leader? By the rules scouting would say no. ...
how did you not root out this evil years before? years of scouting and nobody noticed?

I'm not sure I'd want to send a kid to such a morally lax organization.
Old Jun 2, '13, 6:43 am

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Lightbulb Re: Catholic Scouts of St. Geroge

Quote:
People seem to be missing the real problems with the BSA accepting gay scouts.

1) "Gay" is not the same as same sex attraction. Identifying as "gay" is giving into an immoral lifestyle.

2) No scout (under the age of 18) should be sexually active and therefor should not identify themselves sexually.

3) Under BSA rules there is no hazing, all members beliefs must be accepted. i.e. Religious troops have to accept gay scouts and not teach that homosexuality is morally wrong.

4) Allowing gay scouts in is just a stepping stone to allowing gay leaders. What happens in two years when a self proclaimed gay Eagle Scout graduates out of Venturing (age 21) and now wants to become an adult leader? By the rules scouting would say no. It's just a matter of time before the media would pick up the discrimination banner again. I give it three years before openly gay leaders become allowed in the scouts.

5) Once homosexuality is allowed in scout leadership it will be mandated that all troops (including Catholic troops) follow the rules. In other words a Catholic troop would not be able to reject a gay man or lesbian woman who wants to volunteer.

These are the issues at hand. This isn't about allowing gay boys into scouting. This is the gay culture trying to corrupt society by teaching our youth that homosexuality isn't immoral.
Exactly! God bless you

+Pax

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life