Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 9, '13, 5:20 pm

Religion: searching
Default how does the Holy spirit call you?

Many of you that have responded to my previous posts have told me that The Holy spirit is calling me. But what exactly does that mean? I've changed of late and I know somethings happening, I also feel in my bones like something is going to happen..I feel unsettled and I don't like it!! I've lost friends and distanced myself from those who are ridiculing my change. Another battle of conscience I have is that I work here in the uk with teenagers with learning disabilities..the main thrust of this work is that I've developed and teach a programme to help keep these kiddies safe wthin society including alcohol and drug exposure, internet safety, eating healthy and sexual relationships. I also work with children that are in care and I see many vulnerable disabled teenagers expolited and abused sexually resulting in pregnancy and their children also being taken into care..the knock on effect mentally and emotionally to the young people and their babies is heartbreaking and as part of my programme I taught about 'safe sex' and not getting pregnant..now I have learned and agree with the Catholic sytance on contraception (I'm having my iud taken out in 3 daysa time) I don't feel I can run this programme anymore as I don't agree with what I'm teaching and don't think I should be promoting abortive options as being the right choiveto this already vulnerable group. I know that my employers are going to go mad when I say that I can't deliver this part of my programme anymore particularly as it has been viewed as potentially saving my local Government money..what do I say? I've already been looked down upon by my doctors for wanting my iud removed due to the expense of the device..I feel like I'm being shunned for what I believe. Faith seems to be so taboo!!
Old Jun 9, '13, 7:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: how does the Holy spirit call you?

Ok, God does not scare us away from or into something. Fear and anxiety are not of the Spirit of Truth. You must get over them and find the one corner of peace amidst tribulation - there you will hear the gentle whisper that is God's voice.

Focusing on what you are losing (objects, people, status) is not focusing on Christ. All of those things are not bad, but they must be irrelevant before God: Christ is the pearl of great price that one must prefer above all other possessions - those who don't understand this don't realize that when we stand before the All Holy we will only be clothed by our merits and we will only be surrounded by the souls we have helped attain heaven.

Clearly you must learn why the Church, defender since Her first apostolic days of the Way of Life, calls contraception and abortion intrinsically evil and a grave sin. They are a patch to a terrible issue, but is also a green light, a "go ahead". Also, it is not a panacea - it doesn't always work. The consequence is tragic: people forget that the focus should be on sexuality outside of wedlock, not on whether this includes contraception or not...if one accepts the idea of sex outside of matrimony, he has already embraced and promoted all the evils that result from it! All sorts of abominations can then be brought forth to ease those evils - but they are mere patches, and only make the situation worse because they don't address the main issue.

Have you seen all those metal pipes they place on buildings being built or repaired?

If the building is falling apart, will adding more and more pipes fix the problem? It will only make it a bit better and give a false illusion, making us forget that unless we embrace the sacrifice involved in fixing the foundation, the building will keep falling apart and looking worse every day.

Your employers must respect your religious beliefs and cannot discriminate you for them. If this however leads to a terrible sacrifice such as a job loss, you have to consider whether or not you trust in Christ, who promised to give a hundredfold in this life as well as in the next to those who lose or renounce to important things for the sake of God's will, as well as whether you can bear the fact that this teaching being promoted does not make things better, it only alleviates the pain and making the people ignore the illness that is causing it.

As for doctors looking down upon you, it is your body we are talking about, and above all else your soul. Perhaps it will be you who one day will look down towards them, filled with mercy and pity, like Lazarus of the parable.

Stay strong and grow closer to the Church of Christ, "pillar and foundation of the truth", and God will love you and abide in your heart and give you a share in His love, the Holy Spirit of truth that the world cannot receive. Then you will find peace amidst tribulation, and discover that true joy is in serving our brothers, in laying down our live for the least of our brothers - nothing in this world will bring us greater joy than this. It is not about "feeling joyful", but about being joyful, of the joy described by Christ:

Quote:
So you have sorrow now, but I will see you again; then you will rejoice, and no one can rob you of that joy.

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
Let us strive to be "the Lord's helpers" (2 Cor 6):

Quote:
through great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, beatings, imprisonments, tumults, labors, watching, hunger; by purity, knowledge, forbearance, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love, truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; in honor and dishonor, in ill repute and good repute.
Quote:
We are treated as impostors, and yet are true;

as unknown, and yet well known;

as dying, and behold we live;

s punished, and yet not killed;

as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing;

as poor, yet making many rich;

as having nothing, and yet possessing everything.
Old Jun 9, '13, 8:20 pm

When R_C says "Fear and anxiety are not of the Spirit of Truth", he's not saying that your fear and anxiety are leading you wrong. I think that they can lead you to the Spirit of Truth.

When you get there, you will have a rock-solid certainty. But you can still feel anxious about your prospects; you will just know with absolute certainty that you can no longer promote the "safe sex" lie.

Praying for you,
Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. Psalms 42:11 (KJV)
Old Jun 9, '13, 9:30 pm

You have to have ears to hear Him. How do we hear Him? by hearing and hearing the Word of God is how we aspire to the gift of faith. How does one recieve the gift of faith? by grace and mercy one recieves from being baptised in the blessed Trinity.

If you are not baptised? how does the Holy Spirit call you? By obedience to the unction of the Holy Spirit, upon your obedience the Holy Spirit will confirm your hearing Him with signs and wonders that will bring joy and Love for God that surpasses all understanding. What is the Holy Spirit calling you too? Baptism first, so that God may grace you with the gift of faith.

peace be with you
Old Jun 10, '13, 3:28 am

Religion: Church of England

I've started to recognise his actions, his retooldd, his guidanee. But I am still having trouble responding to them properly.
Old Jun 10, '13, 9:11 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyloo0209 View Post
Many of you that have responded to my previous posts have told me that The Holy spirit is calling me. group. I know that my employers are going to go mad when I say that I can't deliver this part of my programme anymore particularly as it has been viewed as potentially saving my local Government money..what do I say? I've already been looked down upon by my doctors for wanting my iud removed due to the expense of the device..I feel like I'm being shunned for what I believe. Faith seems to be so taboo!!
I can offer a suggestion is to read about Abbey Johnson...who worked in an abortion clinic but turned catholic.

I hope you do find help in her story:

http://www.abbyjohnson.org/tag/catholic-church/

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...ic-conversion/
Old Jun 10, '13, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indifferently View Post
I've started to recognise his actions, his retooldd, his guidanee. But I am still having trouble responding to them properly.
If you find it hard to respond? pray and ask Him for guidance and pray again "God come to my assistance, Lord make haste to help me", giving glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit as it was in the beginning is now and forever shall be (alleluia), offer your petitions followed by the Lord's prayer (Our Father) ending with the sign of the cross, if you are baptised?

Simply talk with God, He is always lovingly waiting to hear from us and believe.

Peace be with you
Old Jun 10, '13, 3:45 pm

Religion: searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablope View Post
I can offer a suggestion is to read about Abbey Johnson...who worked in an abortion clinic but turned catholic.

I hope you do find help in her story:

http://www.abbyjohnson.org/tag/catholic-church/

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...ic-conversion/
Thank you..more than you realise, I hope this helps me. I will definately read.
Old Jun 10, '13, 4:48 pm
Banned

Religion: CATHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyloo0209 View Post
Many of you that have responded to my previous posts have told me that The Holy spirit is calling me. But what exactly does that mean? I've changed of late and I know somethings happening, I also feel in my bones like something is going to happen..I feel unsettled and I don't like it!! I've lost friends and distanced myself from those who are ridiculing my change. Another battle of conscience I have is that I work here in the uk with teenagers with learning disabilities..the main thrust of this work is that I've developed and teach a programme to help keep these kiddies safe wthin society including alcohol and drug exposure, internet safety, eating healthy and sexual relationships. I also work with children that are in care and I see many vulnerable disabled teenagers expolited and abused sexually resulting in pregnancy and their children also being taken into care..the knock on effect mentally and emotionally to the young people and their babies is heartbreaking and as part of my programme I taught about 'safe sex' and not getting pregnant..now I have learned and agree with the Catholic sytance on contraception (I'm having my iud taken out in 3 daysa time) I don't feel I can run this programme anymore as I don't agree with what I'm teaching and don't think I should be promoting abortive options as being the right choiveto this already vulnerable group. I know that my employers are going to go mad when I say that I can't deliver this part of my programme anymore particularly as it has been viewed as potentially saving my local Government money..what do I say? I've already been looked down upon by my doctors for wanting my iud removed due to the expense of the device..I feel like I'm being shunned for what I believe. Faith seems to be so taboo!!

Loobyloo,

I am no doctor, but I can see/read you have all the symptoms that the Holy Spirit is indeed calling you.

Mathew 19: 29 And every one that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall possess life everlasting. 30And many that are first, shall be last: and the last shall be first.

Ufam Tobie
Old Jun 12, '13, 3:24 pm

Loobyloo, here are a couple of prayers for you:

Oh Lord my God, depart not from me. Oh my God, have regard to help me; for diverse evil thoughts and great fears have risen up against me, afflicting my soul. How shall I pass them without hurt? How shall I break through them?

(Personally, I add the quote in my sig to this. It's repeated 3 times in Ps 42 & 43, which are both "out of the depths" of depression and seeming defeat.)

I will open the gates of the prison, and reveal to thee great secrets. Do, Lord, as Thou sayest, and let all these wicked thoughts flee from before Thy face. This is my hope and my only comfort, to fly to Thee in all my tribulations, to confide in Thee, to call on Thee from my heart, and patiently to look for Thy consolation. (Imitation of Christ, book III)

I got both those prayers from Fulton Sheen's Wartime Prayer Book. (Aren't we all always in a war? A spiritual one, against sin and despair!)
Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. Psalms 42:11 (KJV)
Old Jun 12, '13, 3:32 pm

Religion: Orthodox in the Greek communion

In a very subtle way, not in a "I Have chosen you way."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions