Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 18, '13, 11:05 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Unhappy Michael Voris takes EWTN to task

In a new video, Michael Voris basically blasts EWTN. He also takes Immaculate Heart Radio and the National Catholic Register to task. The issue was homosexual clergy in the Catholic Church. Should I be alarmed about what Mr. Voris is doing?

Last edited by Maxirad; Jun 18, '13 at 11:07 pm. Reason: Wasn't sure if "Homosexual" should've been capitalized after a colon
Old Jun 19, '13, 2:59 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Michael Voris takes EWTN to task

What was he actually saying?

Do you have a link to the video?

From my experience, Michael Voris is like the Ark of the Covenant: he'll blast anyone who comes in his orbit and is 110% holy.
Old Jun 19, '13, 3:35 am

He didn't blast anyone, nor did he specifically name NCR, or EWTN..although his comments rightly apply...he references Pope Francis' recent acknowledgment that there was a homosexual underground at the Vatican...I am ofcourse paraphrasing however the comments weren't just on Voris' site. Michael Voris' comments were aimed at the fact that these are things that will not be reported on main line Catholic programming..I wonder also why it's not being reported. a homosexual underground at the Vatican. hopefully the Holy Father 'cleans house' ...
Old Jun 19, '13, 5:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsiukiewicz View Post
...he references Pope Francis' recent acknowledgment that there was a homosexual underground at the Vatican...
Does he give a citation for this? I'd like to see it.
Old Jun 19, '13, 5:27 am

"Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow [Catholic]"

With apologies to RWR.

Deacon Jeff

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum
Old Jun 19, '13, 6:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_hili View Post
What was he actually saying?

Do you have a link to the video?

From my experience, Michael Voris is like the Ark of the Covenant: he'll blast anyone who comes in his orbit and is 110% holy.
"Special Report: Gay Clergy & The Catholic Media" is the title of the video. I didn't post a link to it because it's not appropriate for CAF.
Old Jun 19, '13, 6:20 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsiukiewicz View Post
He didn't blast anyone, nor did he specifically name NCR, or EWTN..although his comments rightly apply...he references Pope Francis' recent acknowledgment that there was a homosexual underground at the Vatican...I am ofcourse paraphrasing however the comments weren't just on Voris' site. Michael Voris' comments were aimed at the fact that these are things that will not be reported on main line Catholic programming..I wonder also why it's not being reported. a homosexual underground at the Vatican. hopefully the Holy Father 'cleans house' ...
The reason that these things won't appear on mainline Catholic news outlets has more to do with standards of journalistic integrity than anything nefarious.

Pope Francis' comments were off-the-cuff remarks at a private meeting. All we are seeing about them in news reports is second-hand (or third-hand or fourth-hand) speculation. That's not exactly the stuff of reliable news stories. I for one am glad to see Catholic news outlets not going for the bait.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, it’s more than that. It’s a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 19, '13, 6:21 am
Forum Elder

Okay, the story that "broke" about a Vatican gay lobby was reported, but not the fiction of a gay mafia or unsubstantiated rumors or conspiracies. He is basically criticizing Catholic media outlets for having some understanding of Catholic standards of what separates gossip from journalism. The Catechism sets high standards on the dispensation of Truth and forbids slander, gossip and calumny. For him to call others "cowardly" based on an absence of a report he thinks should exist shows a conflict with what the Catholic Church teaches on truth. These media outlets he criticizes are following the teaching of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. There is no "Church of Nice." That is a myth Mr. Voris made up as a propaganda term.

Mr. Voris is right, the secular media does report the way he does. They do not have an obligation to follow Catholic teaching. Mr. Voris is not operating a Catholic apostolate. Every so often, he shows why.
Old Jun 19, '13, 7:54 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton View Post
Okay, the story that "broke" about a Vatican gay lobby was reported, but not the fiction of a gay mafia or unsubstantiated rumors or conspiracies. He is basically criticizing Catholic media outlets for having some understanding of Catholic standards of what separates gossip from journalism. The Catechism sets high standards on the dispensation of Truth and forbids slander, gossip and calumny. For him to call others "cowardly" based on an absence of a report he thinks should exist shows a conflict with what the Catholic Church teaches on truth. These media outlets he criticizes are following the teaching of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. There is no "Church of Nice." That is a myth Mr. Voris made up as a propaganda term.

Mr. Voris is right, the secular media does report the way he does. They do not have an obligation to follow Catholic teaching. Mr. Voris is not operating a Catholic apostolate. Every so often, he shows why.
You're right. I didn't stop to think through that they actually have reported on it, just not in the way that Voris apparently would like them to. Here's a few articles from the NCRegister:

The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, it’s more than that. It’s a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 19, '13, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
The reason that these things won't appear on mainline Catholic news outlets has more to do with standards of journalistic integrity than anything nefarious.

Pope Francis' comments were off-the-cuff remarks at a private meeting. All we are seeing about them in news reports is second-hand (or third-hand or fourth-hand) speculation. That's not exactly the stuff of reliable news stories. I for one am glad to see Catholic news outlets not going for the bait.
Old Jun 19, '13, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
I think Voris did some type of satire piece a while back talking about the "Church of Nice". I don't know if Voris uses the term regularly or not.
I think the church is alive and well in Nice, currently headed by bishop Louis Albert Joseph Roger Sankalé.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...iocese_of_Nice

Old Jun 19, '13, 8:22 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jim View Post
I think the church is alive and well in Nice, currently headed by bishop Louis Albert Joseph Roger Sankalé.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...iocese_of_Nice

Touché.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 19, '13, 9:03 am

I personally follow Michael Voris' daily news and commentary (two separate entities) on his website, ChurchMilitant.TV. I find that he is generally on point on the issues of the day and he dares to bring up and point out various churches that call themselves Catholic but yet routinely have "Gay" Masses, as well as Bishops who support various cultural issues and stances that are not in line with church teaching. He is a hero and a whistleblower for the faith. I was initially shocked at some of the information he imparted and did more research wherever possible. I, too, always believed that we must never criticize our clergy, but must pray for them. In light of recent information that is gradually coming out in the open through various and sundry sources, I am more thoroughly convinced that Michael Voris is a proven warrior and a champion of the One True Faith. He has been pressured and black-balled by various bishops and priests, but yet he continues on his faith journey, travels the globe, teaching and preaching about the beauty and truth of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. We all realize in some way that there are evil people among us and some are even members of our own clergy. This is not new "news", harken back to the scandal in the priesthood which is now being handled properly. Let the light shine in and hold onto your faith.
Old Jun 19, '13, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2beSherryG View Post
I personally follow Michael Voris' daily news and commentary (two separate entities) on his website, ChurchMilitant.TV. I find that he is generally on point on the issues of the day and he dares to bring up and point out various churches that call themselves Catholic but yet routinely have "Gay" Masses, as well as Bishops who support various cultural issues and stances that are not in line with church teaching. He is a hero and a whistleblower for the faith. I was initially shocked at some of the information he imparted and did more research wherever possible. I, too, always believed that we must never criticize our clergy, but must pray for them. In light of recent information that is gradually coming out in the open through various and sundry sources, I am more thoroughly convinced that Michael Voris is a proven warrior and a champion of the One True Faith. He has been pressured and black-balled by various bishops and priests, but yet he continues on his faith journey, travels the globe, teaching and preaching about the beauty and truth of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. We all realize in some way that there are evil people among us and some are even members of our own clergy. This is not new "news", harken back to the scandal in the priesthood which is now being handled properly. Let the light shine in and hold onto your faith.
Very well stated.
Old Jun 19, '13, 10:18 pm

I watched the video. I'm saddened by how casually he made such uncharitable criticism of "establishment Catholic media".
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media