Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 20, '13, 3:52 am

Religion: Catholic
Default House votes to let states run drug tests on food stamp applicants

From The Hill:
The House late Wednesday voted to give states the authority to conduct drug testing on people applying for food stamps under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

By voice vote, members approved the idea as an amendment to the farm bill that was proposed by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.). Hudson said the proposal would help ensure SNAP benefits go to needy families and children.

"If adopted, this amendment would join a list of good-government reforms contained in the farm bill to save taxpayer money and ensure integrity and accountability within our nutrition system," Hudson said.
Please note very carefully that this amendment does not mandate drug tests; it authorizes states to conduct them.

Your thoughts?
Old Jun 20, '13, 4:23 am
Banned

Default Re: House votes to let states run drug tests on food stamp applicants

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomalley View Post
From The Hill:
The House late Wednesday voted to give states the authority to conduct drug testing on people applying for food stamps under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

By voice vote, members approved the idea as an amendment to the farm bill that was proposed by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.). Hudson said the proposal would help ensure SNAP benefits go to needy families and children.

"If adopted, this amendment would join a list of good-government reforms contained in the farm bill to save taxpayer money and ensure integrity and accountability within our nutrition system," Hudson said.
Please note very carefully that this amendment does not mandate drug tests; it authorizes states to conduct them.

Your thoughts?
Please explain something to me about US Civics. This Bill did not go to the Senate and was able to be passed solely in the House. Why is that as compared to the Fetal Pain Bill which will die in the Senate?
Old Jun 20, '13, 4:55 am

On the surface it seems like a good idea but what about the children of an applicant that tests positive for drugs? I assume then they don't qualify for food stamps.
It's always the kids that suffer it seems.

Mary.
Old Jun 20, '13, 5:01 am

Sounds like it would be a waste of money. Besides, don't drug addicts deserve food?
Old Jun 20, '13, 5:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Peterson View Post
Sounds like it would be a waste of money. Besides, don't drug addicts deserve food?
It would cost more probably to implement than cost would be recovered for those hoping to cut back cost. I agree drug addicts deserve food but there is a black market Food
assistance culture in this city whereby someone buys someone say 100.00 worth of food
for someone else who gives them 50 or 75 in cash for the food and great savings. With the EBT card it's virtually easy as pie I'm told.

They use that money then to buy drugs and end up with no food.
Old Jun 20, '13, 5:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryT777 View Post
It would cost more probably to implement than cost would be recovered for those hoping to cut back cost. I agree drug addicts deserve food but there is a black market Food
assistance culture in this city whereby someone buys someone say 100.00 worth of food
for someone else who gives them 50 or 75 in cash for the food and great savings. With the EBT card it's virtually easy as pie I'm told.

They use that money then to buy drugs and end up with no food.
Yeah, I've witnessed that first hand. I said no to the guy but my fiance said that college students will usually take them up on their offer (this was near Boston University). I just asssumed, and hope, that these are exceptions. Seems like humiliating, sad work. I'm surprised they don't get kicked out of the store since I'm assuming it's illegal. Seems like it would be easier to try and prevent this than using drug testing (i.e. require an ID of some sort to use the card).
Old Jun 20, '13, 5:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
On the surface it seems like a good idea but what about the children of an applicant that tests positive for drugs? I assume then they don't qualify for food stamps.

Mary.
I suppose, the same thing that happens to children, of parents that lie on the application form, or are found otherwise cheating the system (they get barred from assistance for life).

But I suppose it depends on how the state structures the law. When you apply for assistance, you have to apply for each person individually. But only one person gets the card with the food. So the state could just debar the adult and still let the children receive food stamps. (This will reduce the total dollar amount received). Or perhaps another adult in the household will have to test negative.
Old Jun 20, '13, 6:16 am

Religion: Converting to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Peterson View Post
Yeah, I've witnessed that first hand. I said no to the guy but my fiance said that college students will usually take them up on their offer (this was near Boston University). I just asssumed, and hope, that these are exceptions. Seems like humiliating, sad work. I'm surprised they don't get kicked out of the store since I'm assuming it's illegal. Seems like it would be easier to try and prevent this than using drug testing (i.e. require an ID of some sort to use the card).
Being poor in childhood and then low income for a good portion of my adult life I have seen a lot of irresponsibility and fraud among other low income people. It's pretty common for food benefits to be traded for cash to cover everything from car repairs to cigarettes to utility bills to drugs to getting hair and nails done. Usually people sell their food stamp benefits to friends, family, and neighbors.

The way people do it here is offer to trade $2.00 in food stamps for $1.00 in cash. Then the seller goes to the grocery store with their benefit card and the buyer shops. The seller uses the benefit card to pay for the food as if it was their own and when the transaction is complete the buyer pays the food stamp seller in cash.

The problem is that requiring ID wouldn't change the system here since the food stamp card holder is there to buy the food. They can show their ID to the cashier. I can't think of a way to prevent this kind of fraud that people couldn't easily get around.

You don't even want to know how many people get Medicaid prescriptions (doctor visit for free and prescription filled for free) for anti-depressants and pain killers and then sell those to buy pot or harder drugs.

I support the idea of drug testing for welfare benefits. I also think that doctors who prescribe antidepressants and pain killers for Medicaid patients should be required to regularly check blood work for the appropriate levels to be present before writing a new prescription.

Honestly, though, my biggest pet peeve is that you can use food stamp benefits to buy chips, soda, and other unhealthy snacks and drinks. Stopping fraud is very difficult, but changing what can be purchased is easier. Poor people tend to have poor nutrition which leads to expensive health problems. If those people could only use their food stamp cards to buy healthier food they would be healthier and need less medical care.
Old Jun 20, '13, 6:41 am

Quote:

Mary.
Do you think its a good thing that kids are on drugs?
Old Jun 20, '13, 7:52 am

Good. Common sense at its finest.

"Your grace and your love are wealth enough for me. Give me these, Lord Jesus, and I ask for nothing more."

- St. Ignatius of Loyola

Our Lady of Good Help, pray for us!
Old Jun 20, '13, 8:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

This is really tough thread. Catholic Charities gave a talk at our parish. Assured all that if they enter a household that has requested help and see a pack of smokes this family is denied assistance. Darn, I may not have a lot of money to help a friend pay, say electric bill, but I can help out with a pack of cigs, one time, then he is judged undeserving of help.! God have mercy. No longer donate to CC.

I am poor so cannot give my child a soda because I am poor. Sorry, but if it brings a moment of joy into their hard knock life, God Bless Them. IMHO
Old Jun 20, '13, 9:00 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to qui est ce

Quote:

Mary.
At some point the parent has to take responsibility for their children. It's not the governments fault the parents don't care enough about their kids to get off drugs. I mean, they are getting food stamps, subsidized housing, medicaid. Then it's our fault we're not doing more.
Old Jun 20, '13, 9:32 am

Religion: Converting to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
This is really tough thread. Catholic Charities gave a talk at our parish. Assured all that if they enter a household that has requested help and see a pack of smokes this family is denied assistance. Darn, I may not have a lot of money to help a friend pay, say electric bill, but I can help out with a pack of cigs, one time, then he is judged undeserving of help.! God have mercy. No longer donate to CC.

I am poor so cannot give my child a soda because I am poor. Sorry, but if it brings a moment of joy into their hard knock life, God Bless Them. IMHO
I see where you are coming from, but the reality is that there is a lot of need out there and not enough funding to help everyone. Sad, but true. The purpose of charitable donations and of low income assistance food programs is NOT to bring joy to a life, but to provide food and necessary things to preserve that life. Besides, you don't need a soda and chips to find joy. Whatever happened to a joyful moment in a poor child's life being something simple like playing with a cousin or singing while doing household chores or catching fireflies in a jar?
Old Jun 20, '13, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post

Wow, that's an awful policy.
Old Jun 20, '13, 9:40 am

They should make drug tests and lie detector tests mandatory for all politicians including the president.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News