Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 13, '05, 11:25 am

Religion: Catholic, Easter Vigil 2006
Send a message via MSN to arieh0310 Send a message via Yahoo to arieh0310
Default Catholic/Jewish similarities

I have head it said that Catholicism has a lot of similarities to Judaism and I would like to know what they are. I have never gone to synagogue (I probably should some time) and have no knowledge of Jewish traditions and practices. Are there any current or former Jewish members on this forum that can share what similarities there are?

Conversi Ad Dominum
Old Oct 13, '05, 11:49 am
Book Club Member

Default Re: Catholic/Jewish similarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by arieh0310
I have head it said that Catholicism has a lot of similarities to Judaism and I would like to know what they are. I have never gone to synagogue (I probably should some time) and have no knowledge of Jewish traditions and practices. Are there any current or former Jewish members on this forum that can share what similarities there are?
I am sure Roy Schoeman mentions it in his book, "Salvation is from the Jews".
Old Oct 13, '05, 11:52 am

Religion: Orthodox Jewish

Hi arieh0310!

Roman Catholicism & orthodox Judaism (despite our rather obvious differences) have much in common. Our views on many ethical & moral issues are similar. But beyond that, ours are faiths with rules, with authority & structure & with discipline. Ours are not make-it-up-as-you-go-along faiths & never have been (I suppose Protestantism & Reform Judaism are like that). Rather than mold the faith to fit the individual, I think that we believe that it is the individual who must mold him/herself to fit the faith. The late former Chief Rabbi of the British Commonwealth, Lord Immanuel Jakobovitz (of blessed memory) once said that a faith which demands nothing is worth nothing. To be an orthodox Jew demands a great deal & I have learned to be a Roman Catholic is similarly very demanding.

Back in March 2000, I was fortunate enough to work on the late Pope John Paul II's historic visit here to Israel (see http://tinyurl.com/4co5r). I have very great admiration for the late Pope's work in furthering dialogue & conciliation between our respective faiths. If Benedict XVI continues in the footsteps of his saintly predecessors, John Paul II & John XXIII (and there is every indication that he is; see http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=78221 & http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...ict#post875077), I have no doubt that Jewish-Catholic dialogue will continue to make considerable progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arieh
I have never gone to synagogue (I probably should some time) and have no knowledge of Jewish traditions and practices.
http://www.jewfaq.org/toc.htm would be a good place to start.

Be well & be in touch!

ssv
"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

["Gather your wits and hold on fast." [The Who]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

http://tinyurl.com/bmz3r
Old Oct 13, '05, 12:16 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arieh0310
I’m not Jewish. But I do know that some of our (Jewish & Catholic) Liturgies contain similar language. One part that comes to mind is when the Catholic Celebrant prays over the gifts:
Through your goodness we have this bread to offer, etc … and the response is “Blessed be God forever.” This is the same call and response in the Sabbath Liturgies of the Jewish people when they respond “Baruch at’ah Adonia.” This is: “Blessed be God forever”
The Epistle of St. Paul to the Churches of Galatia 5:25, 26
If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us have no self-conceit,
no provoking of one another, no envy of one another.

Old Oct 13, '05, 12:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I just posted a link to some posts by forum member Ghosty (who came to Catholicism "by way of Judaism") in another post, #14 here. The topic of my post was the comparison of the Seder and the Last Supper (a Seder meal) and the usage of unleavened bread and its symbolism in Judaism and western Catholicism. The thread it is posted in refers to a Jewish feast compared to the institution of Peter's papacy.

I've re-read the preceeding a number of times and don't know if you will make heads or tails of it. The point is that the thread I linked to has interesting posts at #1 and #14.

I believe the church heirarchy, vestments, feast and fast days, etc also reflect our Jewish roots. For instance, the 1st century Jews fasted on Monday and Thursday. Catholicism kept the custom, but changed the days to Wednesday (the day Judas betrayed Jesus) and Friday (the day Jesus died on the Cross) to distinguish themselves. The role of priest being distinct from the laity, and only the priest being able to do priestly duties at the altar, are also Jewish in origin.
For when you turn away and weep, then you will be saved.
--Saint Basil

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions