Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jul 6, '13, 1:57 pm
RCIAGraduate RCIAGraduate is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 26, 2013
Posts: 145
Religion: Catholic
Default Are nuns part of the clergy?

Are nuns considered part of the clergy or are they considered part of the laity? Or is it something in-between?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jul 6, '13, 2:38 pm
Ad Orientem's Avatar
Ad Orientem Ad Orientem is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 22, 2013
Posts: 1,729
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are nuns part of the clergy?

Strictly speaking, clerics / clergy are only those who have received ordination. Everyone else, religious included, are laity.

Due to other uses of the word "layman" (as opposed to professional or expert), however, "laity" is sometimes used to mean only those who are neither ordained nor religious; and by extension, or due to ignorance, non-ordained religious are called clergy.

In other religions (Buddhism, for example) the words "ordination" and "clergy" are sometimes applied to their version of religious. And in Protestantism there are "ordained" women ministers. In a pluralistic or ecumenical society, these uses sometimes influence Catholics, but they are not traditional Catholic uses of terminology.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jul 6, '13, 3:25 pm
NovusAugustus's Avatar
NovusAugustus NovusAugustus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 21, 2012
Posts: 287
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are nuns part of the clergy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Orientem View Post
Strictly speaking, clerics / clergy are only those who have received ordination. Everyone else, religious included, are laity.

Due to other uses of the word "layman" (as opposed to professional or expert), however, "laity" is sometimes used to mean only those who are neither ordained nor religious; and by extension, or due to ignorance, non-ordained religious are called clergy.

In other religions (Buddhism, for example) the words "ordination" and "clergy" are sometimes applied to their version of religious. And in Protestantism there are "ordained" women ministers. In a pluralistic or ecumenical society, these uses sometimes influence Catholics, but they are not traditional Catholic uses of terminology.
So, nuns are properly categorized as religious which is technically a form of laity distinct from a regular person but not the same as clergy, which are ordained? Just want to clarify.
__________________
“We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject, for both have labored in the search for truth, and both have helped us in finding it.”
St. Thomas Aquinas
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jul 6, '13, 4:29 pm
Usige's Avatar
Usige Usige is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 17, 2007
Posts: 1,674
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are nuns part of the clergy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovusAugustus View Post
So, nuns are properly categorized as religious which is technically a form of laity distinct from a regular person but not the same as clergy, which are ordained? Just want to clarify.
This is kinda mixing two sperate things here.

Nuns are relgious, but religious are not a type of laity. There are the laity and clergy which are distinguished by reception of holy orders (i.e. deacons, priests, and bishops). And a seperate but related concept of secular versus religious which are distinguished by solemn vows. Since nuns are female they can never receive holy orders and are always members of the laity, but male religious could be either members of the laity (nonordained brothers) or clergy (religious priests).

Here are examples of each combo:

Secular laity - majority of Catholics
Secular clergy - most diocesan priest, Pope Benedict and Pope John Paul II also
Religious laity - Carmelite nun
Religious clergy - Franciscan priest, Pope Francis is in this category
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 6, '13, 10:18 pm
NovusAugustus's Avatar
NovusAugustus NovusAugustus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 21, 2012
Posts: 287
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are nuns part of the clergy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usige View Post
This is kinda mixing two sperate things here.

Nuns are relgious, but religious are not a type of laity. There are the laity and clergy which are distinguished by reception of holy orders (i.e. deacons, priests, and bishops). And a seperate but related concept of secular versus religious which are distinguished by solemn vows. Since nuns are female they can never receive holy orders and are always members of the laity, but male religious could be either members of the laity (nonordained brothers) or clergy (religious priests).

Here are examples of each combo:

Secular laity - majority of Catholics
Secular clergy - most diocesan priest, Pope Benedict and Pope John Paul II also
Religious laity - Carmelite nun
Religious clergy - Franciscan priest, Pope Francis is in this category
Thanks, that definitely clears the waters.
__________________
“We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject, for both have labored in the search for truth, and both have helped us in finding it.”
St. Thomas Aquinas
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8569Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5241CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3896Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3464Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3171For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: eschator83



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:35 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.