Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 11, '13, 1:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Latin Mass - Ordinary Form

I am (hopefully) attending my first Latin Mass this Saturday. It's in the Ordinary Form. I've been looking online to try to find out what to expect, but it seems that everything written about Latin Mass is about the Extraordinary Form. Can anyone enlighten me? What will the rules for Communion be? Will there likely be missalettes? Do I need to cover my head? Etc.
Old Jul 11, '13, 1:33 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Latin Mass - Ordinary Form

Hope this helps.

http://www.angilella.it/missa/missa_la_en2.pdf

Where I've attended them, they have been quite reverent.
Old Jul 11, '13, 2:29 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

You will not need to cover your head but you may see several women who do. I attend a Latin Novus Ordo and most of the women do not cover. You probably won't feel out of place if you choose to wear a veil.

We have a Latin/English missalette.

I have been to this type of Mass at a couple different parishes and the amount of Latin varies a bit from church to church.

Communion - I have only received on the tongue. I really don't know if there are any rules. At our church everyone receives on the tongue at the request of the pastor, and he uses the method of intinction which would make it impossible to receive in the hand from a priest.

Basically it will be the same as any other Novus Ordo Mass, but some prayers and responses will be in Latin instead of English. The order of the Mass should be identical to what you are used to.
Old Jul 11, '13, 2:59 pm

I've attended a Latin OF a couple of times and Communion was by intinction (maybe it was the same one 1love attends) at an altar rail.

NS, if they aren't doing intinction, I would guess you should feel free to receive either way, but I would expect most people to be receiving on the tongue.

At the one I've been to, some women covered their heads, others didn't. I did the first time, but not the second. I didn't feel out of place either time.

There were missalettes. I bet there will be some for you too.

I'm actually going this Sunday too.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Jul 11, '13, 3:12 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Talking Re: Latin Mass - Ordinary Form

You may do everything the same way as at a normal Ordinary Form Mass.

BUT...

I would recommend that under any circumstance you would wear a chapel veil; the two most precious vessels to be found in our Churches are indeed the Tabernacle and the Chalice. These vessels are covered in a veil to show their sacredness and how truly precious they are to the world. To think that a woman would also be covered in such a way also shows how much regard we, as Catholics, give to women, particularly bearing in mind the way Our Blessed Lord held women on such high regard. Wear a Chapel Veil please. You ARE special.

I would also recommend that you receive Holy Communion both Kneeling and on the Tongue... Our Blessed Lord and Saviour is truly present, immolated upon the altar before you. WHY WOULD YOU NOT CRAWL BEFORE HIM? And I assume you know the most venerable reasons that Communion in the Hand is not to be encouraged. Just sayin'

And certainly, use the Missallette that has been posted earlier; they are very handy!

On the whole, it will surely be a great experience for you. The Latin language gives a defined atmosphere of prayer and reverence, and it points our minds to higher things. Please, in prayer and in spirit, make the most of this opportunity!

God bless

Pray for Pious Vocations.
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei; Ora pro nobis!
GO TO CONFESSION!
Old Jul 11, '13, 3:20 pm
Book Club Member

Is it the Novus Ordo Latin Mass? We had a priest say Mass in Latin at our parish following the Novus Ordo. This is not the Tridentine Latin Mass. All the behaviors for Mass on a regular Sunday apply.
Old Jul 11, '13, 4:37 pm

In addition to head covering, receiving in the proper posture, if you intend on frequenting the Latin Mass! Invest the resources in becoming proficient in speaking and comprehension of proper Latin.

there are so many Who profess the superior reverence of the form, but because of their lack of linguistic preparation are probably there because "it sounds and looks neat" instead of properly assisting in Mass as we are all called to do.
Old Jul 11, '13, 5:46 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofight View Post
In addition to head covering, receiving in the proper posture, if you intend on frequenting the Latin Mass! Invest the resources in becoming proficient in speaking and comprehension of proper Latin.

there are so many Who profess the superior reverence of the form, but because of their lack of linguistic preparation are probably there because "it sounds and looks neat" instead of properly assisting in Mass as we are all called to do.
One needs only to be familiar with fewer than 1000* words in Latin to "properly" assist at a Latin Mass. In fact if you know all of them you could more easily follow the Spanish Mass as well.

* there are about 600 distinct words in the EF Masses but I allowed for extra EP's in my estimate for the OF.
Old Jul 11, '13, 6:02 pm

Religion: RC
Wink Re: Latin Mass - Ordinary Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
One needs only to be familiar with fewer than 1000* words in Latin to "properly" assist at a Latin Mass. In fact if you know all of them you could more easily follow the Spanish Mass as well.

* there are about 600 distinct words in the EF Masses but I allowed for extra EP's in my estimate for the OF.
My Missal has English on the right side and it is very easy to follow - the pictures are nice, too.

Is it the Novus Ordo Mass in Latin?

Mass is the same in any language.
Old Jul 11, '13, 8:39 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdandy View Post
My Missal has English on the right side and it is very easy to follow - the pictures are nice, too.

Is it the Novus Ordo Mass in Latin?
How does it begin?
Old Jul 11, '13, 8:52 pm

Also, the communican says "Amen." like normal when the Host is presented before him, with the words "Corpus Christi" or "Sanguis Christi" in a Latin Novus Ordo Mass. (in contrast to the fact that communicants do not say Amen in the EF)
"Loquere, quia audit servus tuus." - 1 Samuel 3:10
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments