Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 12, '13, 10:33 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Question Catholic vs. Christian

I need advice! I'm going to baptize my friends two boys. She is Christian and her husband is Catholic. They want to raise their kids with both religions; going to Christian church one day and Catholic Church another and want to let their children decide what path to take when they grow up. My family for generations are strong Catholic believers so in my mothers eyes that was wrong and I heard it from a few friends as well. Essentially both religions have the same God but they don't have the same beliefs so it makes it tough for me to accept their decision. Is it hypocritical for me to baptize these boys knowing that their parents are not going to commit to teaching them to be Catholic 100% but both? Is it wrong to mix both religions and to let your children decide what religion they want to take when the grow up? By the way the boys are 2 and 3.

In my opinion I think this will only confuse them when they get older; they should be one or the other not both. & if both then why baptize?

This has caused a huge argument in my family and I will greatly appreciate all the responses I get! Thank you and God bless!
Old Jul 12, '13, 10:54 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Catholic vs. Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosypink View Post
I need advice! I'm going to baptize my friends two boys. She is Christian and her husband is Catholic. They want to raise their kids with both religions; going to Christian church one day and Catholic Church another and want to let their children decide what path to take when they grow up. My family for generations are strong Catholic believers so in my mothers eyes that was wrong and I heard it from a few friends as well. Essentially both religions have the same God but they don't have the same beliefs so it makes it tough for me to accept their decision. Is it hypocritical for me to baptize these boys knowing that their parents are not going to commit to teaching them to be Catholic 100% but both? Is it wrong to mix both religions and to let your children decide what religion they want to take when the grow up? By the way the boys are 2 and 3.

In my opinion I think this will only confuse them when they get older; they should be one or the other not both. & if both then why baptize?

This has caused a huge argument in my family and I will greatly appreciate all the responses I get! Thank you and God bless!

Are you actually physically baptising them or are you participating as a godparent?

Catholics today are expected to be physically baptised by a Priest.

When we were talking with my friend's Priest about my responsibilities as a Godparent, he advised that my responsibility was to assist them in raising my godson in the Catholic faith in any way I can and their responsibility was to ensure their son was raised and educated in the Catholic faith.

The Baptism is the public declaration to God and the world of that promise.

I believe you must be committed to the Catholic faith to be a Catholic godparent, otherwise there is a conflict.

Please speak with a Priest about this.

There may not be any problems from the Protestant perspective but from the Catholic side there are considerations.
Old Jul 12, '13, 11:16 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:

If by baptise, You mean infant baptism, Then there is no such Biblical thing at it.
The Bible's way is,
[1]Here and understand the gospel.
[2]Believe and recieve it.
[3]Repent and get born again...Then and then only can one be baptsied.
Plus every Greek meaning for baptism, Is by total immersion.
Old Jul 12, '13, 11:51 pm

Religion: Orthodox in the Greek communion

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved75 View Post
If by baptise, You mean infant baptism, Then there is no such Biblical thing at it.
The Bible's way is,
So are the aborted damned?
Old Jul 13, '13, 12:51 am

Quote:
The Bible's way is,
Oh there is support for it. Just a matter of taking off those protestant glasses

Acts 2:38 - Peter says to the multitude, "Repent and be baptized.." Protestants use this verse to prove one must be a believer (not an infant) to be baptized. But the Greek translation literally says, "If you repent, then each one who is a part of you and yours must each be baptized” (“Metanoesate kai bapistheto hekastos hymon.”) This, contrary to what Protestants argue, actually proves that babies are baptized based on their parents’ faith. This is confirmed in the next verse.Acts 2:39 - Peter then says baptism is specifically given to children as well as adults. “Those far off” refers to those who were at their “homes” (primarily infants and children). God's covenant family includes children. The word "children" that Peter used comes from the Greek word "teknon" which also includes infants.
Old Jul 13, '13, 12:51 am

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaux

Catholics are Christians...

<_<
>_>

It's a pet peeve when people act like they're not.

Maybe by "Christians" you mean Protestants, I don't know.
- St. Thérèse of Lisieux

Real kings wear thorns.
Old Jul 13, '13, 2:11 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Old Jul 13, '13, 2:15 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Hey rosypink...you just drove a stake through my heart. are you Catholic ? If you are please enlighten yourself...it drives me crazy when I hear someone compare Catholicism to a Christian church...who do you think that is on the cross in the Catholic church...(although now days you may have to really hunt for the crucifix) ....We ARE and were the first Christians ....if you are Catholic please don't ever even remotely infer that being Catholic is somehow NOT Christian...I can't even begin to respond to the Baptism question...this just screams out poor catechesis....pray for me...
Old Jul 13, '13, 2:19 am

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsiukiewicz View Post
Hey rosypink...you just drove a stake through my heart. are you Catholic ? If you are please enlighten yourself...it drives me crazy when I hear someone compare Catholicism to a Christian church...who do you think that is on the cross in the Catholic church...(although now days you may have to really hunt for the crucifix) ....We ARE and were the first Christians ....if you are Catholic please don't ever even remotely infer that being Catholic is somehow NOT Christian...I can't even begin to respond to the Baptism question...this just screams out poor catechesis....pray for me...
- St. Thérèse of Lisieux

Real kings wear thorns.
Old Jul 13, '13, 3:05 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatianPhilo View Post
So are the aborted damned?

The aborted aren't damned, Why would you thing that??
Neither is an infant or a child until they come to an age of understanding of right and wrong, And chose to reject Jesus.
Old Jul 13, '13, 3:18 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCamp View Post
Oh there is support for it. Just a matter of taking off those protestant glasses

Acts 2:38 - Peter says to the multitude, "Repent and be baptized.." Protestants use this verse to prove one must be a believer (not an infant) to be baptized. But the Greek translation literally says, "If you repent, then each one who is a part of you and yours must each be baptized” (“Metanoesate kai bapistheto hekastos hymon.”) This, contrary to what Protestants argue, actually proves that babies are baptized based on their parents’ faith. This is confirmed in the next verse.Acts 2:39 - Peter then says baptism is specifically given to children as well as adults. “Those far off” refers to those who were at their “homes” (primarily infants and children). God's covenant family includes children. The word "children" that Peter used comes from the Greek word "teknon" which also includes infants.

The "Children" In Acts 2: 39, Means those of an age of understanding, The Greek word is,
"Teknos"", [Which DOESN'T include infants].
If Acts 2: 39 mean infants, The Greek word would be, "Brethos".

So Acts 2: 39 DOESN'T support infant baptism.
Besides comon sense tells us,
"How can an infant repent,chose Jesus and get born again".
Old Jul 13, '13, 3:44 am

Religion: Orthodox

I am reminded of a certain episode of Lutheran Satire...

http://youtu.be/PHv4s_hYs4c

By the way, where does it say in Scripture that can only be baptized after being born again? I can clearly point to the Gospel of John where the words of the Lord explicitly say that one is born again in baptism (just as the video humorously points out), but I have never seen a scriptural basis for this novel doctrine, that one can only be baptized after being reborn.
But God, he says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of His essence. But the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, are they all names of one essence? St. Basil Letter 234
Old Jul 13, '13, 4:15 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Genesis 17
1And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

2And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

7And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

10This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
11And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

12And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

13He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

23And Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all that were born in his house, and all that were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham's house; and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the selfsame day, as God had said unto him.

27And all the men of his house, born in the house, and bought with money of the stranger, were circumcised with him.

Genesis 21:4
4And Abraham circumcised his son Isaac being eight days old, as God had commanded him.

Colossians 2
11In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Acts 16:15 (King James Version)

15And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

1 Corinthians 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Acts 2:

Peter (said) to them, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
For the promise is made to you and to your children and to all those far off, whomever the Lord our God will call."
Old Jul 13, '13, 4:21 am

Quote:
The Bible's way is,
Salvation my friend is ONGOING, not a one-time experience. Catholics do not enshrine salvation as an event of the past, but merely another step in an ongoing transformation.
The reason many 'born again' people fall into sin is the expectations that arise over a past "event" do not materialize. So they rationalize they were never "saved" in the first place, or they need to (as I heard one Pentecosal preacher somewhat cynically refer) keep rededicating their rededications.
I got married once. My wife and I don't keep getting 'remarried' every time we quarrel. Years of marriage iron out the rough spots. That's what it means to be a Christian, as we grow all those rough spots get ironed out. We don't need another 'experience'. God put His mark on us at Baptism, now my behavior EXPRESSES that Baptism that happened to me as child.
I can't go back and start over.
God simply doesn't work that way.
For Catholics, we do not need an 'experience', what we need is to start living as the person God declared us to be at Baptism.
Personal responsibility.
Old Jul 13, '13, 4:22 am

Here's another illustration that can help our evangelical friends:
Reading thru a magazine once I came upon an interesting collection of photos. The first picture is of a tiny infant wearing a pair of oversized adult bluejeans. One could hardly see the baby. The next photos showed every year for the next fifteen years. At the age of fifteen the child has grown into his bluejeans.
That's Baptism.
You grow into who you are.
Baptism is not my announcment that I have enough faith to recieve it.
It is finally recieving by faith what was freely given to me in Baptism.
Is Baptism a symbolic witness or God's seal upon the believer?
Is it my commitment or God's committment?
In the Old Testament, circumcision was the mark on one's body that gave testimony to the Covenant God has made.
The sign IN the body represents a change in the heart.
Baptism is the 'brand' or the 'seal'. Salvation is conveyed to us by the operation of the Spirit through Baptism.
It is God's declaration, not ours.
A helpless infant is the recipiant of God's Grace.
A Grace that awaits our response.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions