Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 25, '13, 12:28 am

Religion: Catholic
Default fashion

I love finding cute fashions and was just wondering if caring about such things are sinful?
Old Jul 25, '13, 7:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: fashion

Very good question!

I commend you for caring if it is. It is a very natural thing that drives women to adorn themselves and look cute/pretty. Man was created in the image of God, while woman was created in the image of man! A deep part of a female's "DNA" is to try to please God in pleasing man. She is made as the beautiful creature. She wants to be looked at as beautiful.

Now, Jesus came to offer us a better Spirit...a better nature. One that does not seek after corruptible things. One that is beautiful on the inside. One that will not break down into tears and insecurity when she does not have a cute dress or heals for the ceramony. One that wishes to please the Godly man...not the worldly man who looks lustfully and superficially at a woman.

That being said, It is good to look and dress nice. We each must look at ourselves to know where our heart is. Is it in material or outward appearance? First purify your heart, then what you wear will not dominate you. Its ok to want to dress cute

Michael

Paz de Cristo
Michael

They devoted themselves to the Apostle's teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers
Acts 2:42
Old Jul 25, '13, 7:30 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed is He View Post
I love finding cute fashions and was just wondering if caring about such things are sinful?
No it's not sinful.

It's an interest you have, which is no different than a person who likes nice cars or radio controlled airplanes.

If it becomes obsessive to the point of consuming your life where you let priorities slide, then it needs to be kept in check.

Also remember, enjoying these things helps keep people employed and therebye helping them with their well-being.

Stay Christ centered and you'll be OK.

Jim
Old Jul 25, '13, 7:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwitness View Post
I commend you for caring if it is. It is a very natural thing that drives women to adorn themselves and look cute/pretty. Man was created in the image of God, while woman was created in the image of man! A deep part of a female's "DNA" is to try to please God in pleasing man. She is made as the beautiful creature. She wants to be looked at as beautiful.

Michael
I respectfully disagree. As Catholics, I am absolutely certain that we believe that man (that is, human beings), male and female alike, were made in the image and likeness of God. Secondly, I think it's rather exaggerated to generalize about the female gender in such a way. Many women could care less about pleasing God or men. Beauty is unimportant to them and they also recognize themselves to be physically plain.

I'm not a feminist, but I did find these claims to be false and also quite insulting. If this was all said in a joking manner, though, then I sincerely apologize.
Old Jul 25, '13, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceofTruth View Post
I respectfully disagree. As Catholics, I am absolutely certain that we believe that man (that is, human beings), male and female alike, were made in the image and likeness of God. Secondly, I think it's rather exaggerated to generalize about the female gender in such a way. Many women could care less about pleasing God or men. Beauty is unimportant to them and they also recognize themselves to be physically plain.

I'm not a feminist, but I did find these claims to be false and also quite insulting. If this was all said in a joking manner, though, then I sincerely apologize.
Sorry you took this as insulting. I was not joking, but certain you are misunderstanding. When I say,"Woman was created in the image of man." It is not diminishing her being created in God's image, for man was in His image. You are correct...man is created male and female. They were not, however, created at the same moment, nor in the same manner. She was created from man, not man created from woman (1Cor.11). This is my meaning.

Further, Jesus taught us to not worry what we should wear...only the faithless set their hearts on these things. That was my reasoning behind our hearts revealing what is sin or natural. In our new nature (that of Christ) we struggle against our fallen nature (after our creation in Adam and Eve)

Please consider my intentions,
Michael

Paz de Cristo
Michael

They devoted themselves to the Apostle's teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers
Old Jul 25, '13, 9:40 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Me too my dear I like fashion, I think it is not a sin so long as it is not taking all my time & mind. GOD has to take the first priority in life & anything else should be secondary.

Old Jul 25, '13, 9:49 am
Book Club Member

Smile Re: fashion

Hello.

Me too. Love clothes. It drove me to teach myself how to sew.

In my opinion, if God always comes first in your life you've got nothing to worry about. In fact, wasn't God the first clothing designer when He didn't like Adam and Eve's fig leaf outfits so He made them something better?

Beauty is a thing of God.

However, beautiful and well-made clothing shouldn't be immodest or unsuitable for the occasion.

My two cents anyway...

Quote:
Old Jul 25, '13, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwitness View Post
Sorry you took this as insulting. I was not joking, but certain you are misunderstanding. When I say,"Woman was created in the image of man." It is not diminishing her being created in God's image, for man was in His image. You are correct...man is created male and female. They were not, however, created at the same moment, nor in the same manner. She was created from man, not man created from woman (1Cor.11). This is my meaning.

Further, Jesus taught us to not worry what we should wear...only the faithless set their hearts on these things. That was my reasoning behind our hearts revealing what is sin or natural. In our new nature (that of Christ) we struggle against our fallen nature (after our creation in Adam and Eve)

Please consider my intentions,
Michael
Thank you for clarifying and sorry if I seemed "snappish" in my last post. I know that woman was created differently from man, but personally I think this was for the simple reason that men and women were meant to be different, yet sharing the "likeness of God" equally. But despite our differing views, it seems we agree on the last part.

And I agree with you that we are taught not to care so much about what we wear (though decency is important, obviously) but more about the inside; that is, whether we are sinful-- even in modest clothes (!)-- or not.

Anyway, to everyone else: carry on! And to the OP: enjoying cute clothes is not sinful so long as it is not obsessive (i.e. that it distracts you from God, your prayer life, etc).
Old Jul 26, '13, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceofTruth View Post
Thank you for clarifying and sorry if I seemed "snappish" in my last post. I know that woman was created differently from man, but personally I think this was for the simple reason that men and women were meant to be different, yet sharing the "likeness of God" equally. But despite our differing views, it seems we agree on the last part.

And I agree with you that we are taught not to care so much about what we wear (though decency is important, obviously) but more about the inside; that is, whether we are sinful-- even in modest clothes (!)-- or not.

Anyway, to everyone else: carry on! And to the OP: enjoying cute clothes is not sinful so long as it is not obsessive (i.e. that it distracts you from God, your prayer life, etc).
Cool.

Not to carry on either, but I have a reason for addressing the way and the why woman was created because it is very relevant. You won't (in general) see a guy posting a question like this. That's certainly not to say men can't or don't have serious issues with fashion more of a priority than God in their lives. Men and women are prone to all sin regardless of anything. Nevertheless, it is a tendency directly related to woman's basic nature to adorn themselves and be a symbol of beauty far above the nature of man.

It matters to me, because I personally see this struggle with women close to me. I don't think I'm alone. The stress and anxiety that builds up when trying to look cute and pretty escalates into ugliness quite often Women are encouraged, in our society and culture to need to look perfect. I've never seen a guy cry and get bent out of shape and have a nervous breakdown because of a wardrobe malfunction before going to Mass or a class reunion...or whatever occasion.

OK...I've gone on enough. Sorry, to get so serious. But you can tell I've delt with this stuff. You are getting the guys perspective

God bless
Michael

Paz de Cristo
Michael

Old Jul 26, '13, 2:33 pm

"To the pure, all things are pure." Titus 1:14

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality