Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jul 30, '13, 3:12 pm
TheHolyTrinity9 TheHolyTrinity9 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 24, 2013
Posts: 126
Religion: Catholic
Thumbs up Process of Holy Orders.

Can anyone please explain the process of Holy Orders to all the way to Bishop please? I find this very interesting and would like to know more.
__________________
I love the Catholic Church and our Holy and Blessed Trinity.

God Bless your day!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jul 30, '13, 3:28 pm
tbtcom1213 tbtcom1213 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 22, 2009
Posts: 464
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Process of Holy Orders.

1. Discernment and Application Process.

http://vocationspaterson.com/cand2.html

2. Formation Process.

http://vocationspaterson.com/program.pdf
__________________
Ut in Nomine Iesu
Salus Animarum Suprema Lex
O Crux Ave, Spes Unica!
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree
Laudetur Iesus Christus nunc et in saecula Amen
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jul 30, '13, 4:38 pm
triumphguy's Avatar
triumphguy triumphguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 6, 2011
Posts: 8,246
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Process of Holy Orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyTrinity9 View Post
Can anyone please explain the process of Holy Orders to all the way to Bishop please? I find this very interesting and would like to know more.
Planning a career?

Just kidding.

Three levels of Holy Orders are

Deacons
Priests
Bishops
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jul 30, '13, 4:49 pm
MorEphrem MorEphrem is offline
Account Under Review
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: October 16, 2012
Posts: 798
Religion: Syro-Maronite
Default Re: Process of Holy Orders.

It depends on the Ritual Church within the Catholic Church, but yes the Latin Church is deacon/priest/bishop. In the some of the Eastern Catholic Churches (and I know the Latin Church use to have more orders but I'm not quite sure as many) there are 9 orders to reflect the 9 orders of angels.

I'm curious to ask: we would say that they're literally 9 different ordinations and the 7th (bishop) is kind of where you reach the fullness of ordination; is this the same mentality in the Latin Church? I don't think I've ever heard a Latin say that someone is being ordained bishop.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 30, '13, 5:28 pm
fred conty fred conty is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 15, 2010
Posts: 5,593
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Process of Holy Orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyTrinity9 View Post
Can anyone please explain the process of Holy Orders to all the way to Bishop please? I find this very interesting and would like to know more.
First the person must listen and pray to the Holy Spirit for the call to follow Christ. This may take longer for some than others to know if they are called, or that they have a strong inclination for it even tho unsure.

Then they will talk to their parish priest to see what to do next to follow this call. I believe the priest has to apply to the bishop for this person, and if ok, then the person will be assigned to a school to start their studies. This schooling will depend on their age and background.

As I understand it, they must complete four years of college, and then another four years of theology. In theology, they study the bible and related subjects, moral theology, faith theology, spiritual theology, History, Fathers, Sacraments, speech and sermons, and so forth.

At the end of their 3rd year of theology, they are ordained deacon, which allows them to preach, baptise, bless, and to be ordinary ministers of the Eucharist. It is at this point they take the vow of chastity. Next year they are ordained to the priesthood.

Some after this may go on to further studies. The bishop will usually assign them to their first duties and assignments.

As an assistant priest to the pastor in the parish, they eventually will become a pastor.
As a pastor, if they are recognised as a holy or well favored priest among the other priests, then Rome may look more closely at them for being a bishop. If this is favorable, then when an opening for a bishop comes up, their name may be placed before the Holy Father as one of several candidates for being a new bishop. If this proves favorable, then they receive a call from Rome asking them if they would consider the position of bishopric. If they accept, then they are ordained by the laying on of hands by another bishop.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 31, '13, 5:18 pm
DeepeningFaith DeepeningFaith is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2009
Posts: 251
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Process of Holy Orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyTrinity9
Can anyone please explain the process of Holy Orders to all the way to Bishop please? I find this very interesting and would like to know more.
Could you explain a little more what you are asking for? Perhaps what I say below will be helpful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MorEphrem
It depends on the Ritual Church within the Catholic Church, but yes the Latin Church is deacon/priest/bishop. In the some of the Eastern Catholic Churches (and I know the Latin Church use to have more orders but I'm not quite sure as many) there are 9 orders to reflect the 9 orders of angels.

I'm curious to ask: we would say that they're literally 9 different ordinations and the 7th (bishop) is kind of where you reach the fullness of ordination; is this the same mentality in the Latin Church? I don't think I've ever heard a Latin say that someone is being ordained bishop.
Traditionally (as in those that maintain use of the pre-Vatican II books) the order goes as follows: Tonsure (Conferral of the Clerical State)
Porter, Lector, Exorcist, Acolyte (The Minor Orders)
Subdeacon, Deacon, Priest (The Major Orders)
Bishop

Today, it is just Deacon, Priest, Bishop with Lector and Acolyte being Institutions but not Orders.

Theologically, it has been argued both ways: that you are actually ordained a Bishop OR that it is a consecration. The Vatican II documents lean towards it actually being an ordination, and while this is Magisterial teaching, because it is not completely clear, as far as I know, there is no definitive teaching. The second mentality is that once ordained a Priest, you have the fullness of the Priesthood and that the consecration as a Bishop simply is one of jurisdiction. However, having read the old ordinations, I personally lean towards the Bishop being an Ordination. It seems as though the Priest is called to share in the BISHOP's power of sanctifying, governing, and teaching, but to a lesser degree.

I recommend looking at both St. Thomas Aquinas's Summa Theologicae and the Vatican II documents.

Also, seeing that (Pius XII) defined the form and matter of the sacraments of the Deaconate, Priesthood, and Episcopate; I believe this leans credence to the notion of the Bishop being an ordination rather than simply a conferral of jurisdiction.

I hope this helps you both.

In Corde Jesu et Mariae,
DeepeningFaith
__________________
The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Aug 1, '13, 1:15 am
malphono malphono is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 15, 2008
Posts: 7,410
Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)
Default Re: Process of Holy Orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorEphrem View Post
It depends on the Ritual Church within the Catholic Church, but yes the Latin Church is deacon/priest/bishop. In the some of the Eastern Catholic Churches (and I know the Latin Church use to have more orders but I'm not quite sure as many) there are 9 orders to reflect the 9 orders of angels.

I'm curious to ask: we would say that they're literally 9 different ordinations and the 7th (bishop) is kind of where you reach the fullness of ordination; is this the same mentality in the Latin Church? I don't think I've ever heard a Latin say that someone is being ordained bishop.
AFAIK, it's only the Syriac Churches who maintain the 9 orders: 3 Minor (Cantor, Lector, Sudeacon), 3 Major (Deacon, Priest, Bishop), and 3 Median (Archdeacon, Periodute, Chor-Episcopus). The first 6 follow in order, IOW, each is a prerequisite for the next, although it is very traditional for a deacon to be non-transitional. The last 3 are more honorifics than anything else and do not. The first of the Medians is rightfully conferred on Deacons. The priesthood is a prerequisite for second two Medians but, while they may follow in order, it is not necessarily the case that the second is prerequisite to the third. Long, confusing story shorter, it would ever have been rare for a bishop to have received all 8 of the other Orders. More often than not it would have been 7, but 6 or even 5 would not have been all that unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeningFaith View Post
Traditionally (as in those that maintain use of the pre-Vatican II books) the order goes as follows: Tonsure (Conferral of the Clerical State)
Porter, Lector, Exorcist, Acolyte (The Minor Orders)
Subdeacon, Deacon, Priest (The Major Orders)
Bishop

Today, it is just Deacon, Priest, Bishop with Lector and Acolyte being Institutions but not Orders.

Theologically, it has been argued both ways: that you are actually ordained a Bishop OR that it is a consecration. The Vatican II documents lean towards it actually being an ordination, and while this is Magisterial teaching, because it is not completely clear, as far as I know, there is no definitive teaching. The second mentality is that once ordained a Priest, you have the fullness of the Priesthood and that the consecration as a Bishop simply is one of jurisdiction. However, having read the old ordinations, I personally lean towards the Bishop being an Ordination. It seems as though the Priest is called to share in the BISHOP's power of sanctifying, governing, and teaching, but to a lesser degree.

I recommend looking at both St. Thomas Aquinas's Summa Theologicae and the Vatican II documents.

Also, seeing that (Pius XII) defined the form and matter of the sacraments of the Deaconate, Priesthood, and Episcopate; I believe this leans credence to the notion of the Bishop being an ordination rather than simply a conferral of jurisdiction.
Yes, despite the insistence of some Scholastics that the episcopacy was not considered a part of the Sacrament of Holy Orders in the Latin Church, I believe that the facts are, as you suggest, pretty clear that it is. And even most of the Scholastics would agree that the episcopate represents the "fullness of the priesthood" so it would perhaps be clearer to say that the episcopate was considered separate from "Major Orders" in a juridical sense rather than a Sacramental sense.

The Sub-Diaconate is a bit of different story. It was, for many centuries, considered a "Major Order" but that was really only in a juridical sense. Had it been in a Sacramental sense, the order could not have been suppressed. Nor, for that matter, would it have been so easily dispensed: it was never much of an issue for a sub-deacon to be laicized, since there was no "ontological change" involved in the ordination.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8474Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3330Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3286Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3114For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:43 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.