Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 4, '13, 9:30 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Why Priest Can't be married?

I have been think about this and I am just wondering what other's think. I wonder if be allowing married Priest if it would help with the shortage of preist. I guess I am confused on why priest can't be married also. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 4, '13, 10:12 pm

Default Re: Why Priest Can't be married?

God does not need quantity ....He needs quality.

God was able to move a nation out of the hands of the Egyptians and through a dessert and made them His own through the hands of one faithful man.... Moses.

It IS permissible to allow priests to marry. There is nothing theologically wrong with it. It's simply a discipline of the church not to permit them (in most every case) to marry at this point in history.

The priests are EXTREMELY busy right now due to a shortage..... and you want to increase quantity and have these men juggle a family and church (and all that entails) ?

I know a priest who runs a school and works a large parish and IF HE'S lucky ...eats dinner around 11 if he can stay awake to cook.

I myself was considering priesthood ever since kindergarten and married a few years ago in my mid 20's. The idea of religious life still is very appealing to me. But I can honestly say..... knowing what it means to be a priest and what it takes to be a holy priest ...... I would NEVER take up the life of being a priest and a husband and father! never never never....it wouldin't be fair. Our priests need to be completely dedicated (body, mind heart and soul) to their people......it should be the same for a husband and father to his family.....it would be totally unfair.

God bless
Old Aug 4, '13, 10:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbike1 View Post
I have been think about this and I am just wondering what other's think. I wonder if be allowing married Priest if it would help with the shortage of preist. I guess I am confused on why priest can't be married also. Any thoughts?
The priest IS married, to the Church, just like Jesus Christ. Christ is the groom, the Church is bride. That's why the priest isn't married to a woman, he already has a spouse!
Old Aug 4, '13, 11:19 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrStevenJones View Post
The priest IS married, to the Church, just like Jesus Christ. Christ is the groom, the Church is bride. That's why the priest isn't married to a woman, he already has a spouse!
So would you say that Eastern Catholics and Anglican Use priests are bigamists?
Old Aug 4, '13, 11:33 pm

married men can be priest, but a priest cannot be married anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
St. Basil's Against Eunomius - Even if the Holy Spirit is third in dignity and order, why need He be third also in nature? For that He is second to the Son, having His being from Him and receiving from Him and announcing to us and being completely dependent on Him, pious tradition recounts....
Old Aug 4, '13, 11:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
The Ortodoxs will allow a married man to become an ordained priest but will not allow an ordained priest to marry.
AND they will only allow unmarried priests to become Bishops.

Consider that

Peace

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Aug 4, '13, 11:49 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryZ View Post
The Ortodoxs will allow a married man to become an ordained priest but will not allow an ordained priest to marry.
AND they will only allow unmarried priests to become Bishops.

Consider that

Peace
True but that doesn't answer Elizium's question. Fr. Jones mentioned the Church=spouse therefore no more wife. However, Elizium's question is fair because it did not address bishops. Fr. Jones' response was specific to priests and yes, Eastern Catholic and some Latin priests such as those ordained under the Pastoral Provision and Anglican Ordinariates are indeed married, in confirmity with ancient tradition. Yet none of us would say that they are bigamists.

It is a fact that celibacy is cherished throughout ALL apostolic churches but given that the Church herself is permissive when it comes to ordaining married men as priests, this reasoning of church=spouse therefore no wife isn't really suitable to explain the norm of Latin celibacy, especially given that there are married Latin priests. Or at least, that's how I read Elizium's question.

Old Aug 5, '13, 12:28 am

Quote:
I have been think about this and I am just wondering what other's think. I wonder if be allowing married Priest if it would help with the shortage of priest. I guess I am confused on why priest can't be married also. Any thoughts?
Priests can marry. The only reason that some (not all) Latin Rite priests are not married is a matter of discipline, and so can be changed. There are many good reasons, both theological and practical, for priests not to marry, and likewise there are some good reasons for priests to be married. However, I don't think making the vocation to the priesthood more attractive is one of them. The lack of vocations in our society isn't a marriage issue, it's a faith issue.
Old Aug 5, '13, 12:37 am

No, it wouldn't increase the number of vocations. The #1 reason given for why someone didn't choose the priesthood is not celibacy, but because nobody ever seriously asked them to consider the priesthood. Too many people are pushed into dating and marriage as if there were no other options. And with parents having fewer children, they want grandkids and are less likely to encourage their 1-2 children to discern a vocation.
Old Aug 5, '13, 1:15 am

I would just say that it is like trying to carry 2 full time jobs that both require AND mandate extra hours also.
It is very very hard to carry them both well.

And the Church having discerned Jesus's own words as well as that of the Apostles on the subject takes them very seriously.
That is why it prefers to have celibate priests.

Peace

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Aug 5, '13, 1:35 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
My very much Catholic pastor is very much married. His wife and children sat behind me today at liturgy. He was married before ordination.

Rome doesn't want cradle Roman Rite Catholic men having the dual vocation, but the Churches in Union with Rome mostly allow married priests.

And there are actually quite a few former protestant preachers who are now Roman Rite priests, as well.

The restriction, dating to the 200's, is that no man ordained a priest or deacon may contract a new marriage; a married man CAN be ordained.
Old Aug 5, '13, 2:36 am
Banned

I have mixed feelings about the question of married priests.

The main (and perhaps only) reason I can think of in favour is that we ask a lot of our priests and demanding celibacy on top of that is harsh.

I can think of lots of reasons against having married priests. From a purely practical point of view, the main reason is that we can't afford them.
Old Aug 5, '13, 4:14 am

I am a priest, and I don't find the discipline of celibacy particularly harsh (@ AuntyP ).

I think the original question has been mostly answered already. I just wanted to add that I think we can approach the issue from a better angle.

It is not a question of whether priests can marry: in no part of the Catholic Church may an already ordained priest contract a marriage (at least without prior laicization).

Instead, it is a question of who is chosen to be ordained. In the Eastern Churches, both married and celibate men may be chosen to be priests. Only celibate men may be ordained bishops.

In the Western Church (with a few exceptions, as was mentioned), priests are chosen only from among celibate men.

My point is that celibacy is not an obligation imposed "on top of" the priesthood; rather, the priesthood is one of the possibilities for those who are called to a life of celibacy.

God bless.

Father Louis Melahn, L.C.
Old Aug 5, '13, 4:33 am
Banned

Thank you, Imelahn, for the clarification. I thank God for your vocation and for all the priests He calls to serve us.
Old Aug 5, '13, 4:41 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Well, think about this: If a priest was married, he would be so worried about his wife and children that he would barely have any time to focus on his parish duties. If you enforce celibacy, the priest can dedicate his entire life to Christ, not only part of it.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism