Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 11, '13, 9:05 pm

Religion: Lutheran LCMS
Default American Girls Dolls

Does anyone know if the AG dolls are OK to buy again. Have they ended their relationship with charities that support PP?

If not, what alternatives out there are there of a good quality 18 inch doll?
Old Aug 11, '13, 10:36 pm

Default Re: American Girls Dolls

Ecce Homo Press has some 18" dolls and accompanying stories. American Catholic History.
http://0307843.netsolhost.com/literature/GLORY_home.htm
Old Aug 12, '13, 7:57 am

Thanks,

Those look actually really cool. I'm so disappointing with AG. They keep doing away with the cool Historical Dolls. Molly is the only original one left, and it's just sad. They don't have any of the fun historical and well made furniture for them anymore either. Thanks for the hint on where to look.
Old Oct 31, '13, 10:30 am

Never mind apparently they are discontinuing Molly this year now. Ugh, between supporting PP and eliminating all the original dolls I'm done.

Thanks for the suggestion above. I think we are going to go with these dolls.
Old Oct 31, '13, 12:13 pm

Religion: Catholic

there are all kinds of alternatives just google 18 inch dolls. you can read the reviews too. we have the cheep knock offs from target but they are still high quality.
Old Nov 13, '13, 9:47 pm

Wow, I've been calling them yearly asking, "where are the American Dolls made?"
R- china

It miffs me off that a company that uses the word "American" won't manufacture in the America's. Gosh the profit on these dolls must be huge!!! Now I'm more miffed they spend their profit on PP.
Old Nov 20, '13, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggly Giraffe View Post
Wow, I've been calling them yearly asking, "where are the American Dolls made?"
R- china

It miffs me off that a company that uses the word "American" won't manufacture in the America's. Gosh the profit on these dolls must be huge!!! Now I'm more miffed they spend their profit on PP.
Gosh!!! I didn't know about their affiliation with PP. I remember when they first came. I was a girl, myself, and wanted one so badly, but my mother thought they were too expensive then for a playdoll. She preferred to buy my porcelein dolls. They used to be made in America, but I guess greed got the better of them. I know that the original dolls go for a mint because they are the originals and because they were made in the U.S. Those Catholic dolls look like a good alternative.

Sort of like how I feel about Ethan Allen. We used to save up our money to purchase from them because they were made in the U.S.A. and I wanted to support the workers, but now much of it is made overseas.
Old Dec 6, '13, 11:59 pm

Target has "Our Generation" 18-inch dolls. There are also Springfield 18-inch dolls, and (if you're in Canada) Maplelea 18-inch dolls.
Old Dec 10, '13, 4:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian
Send a message via Yahoo to LoveGod102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
Does anyone know if the AG dolls are OK to buy again. Have they ended their relationship with charities that support PP?

If not, what alternatives out there are there of a good quality 18 inch doll?
You can buy American Girl dolls from eBay. That way you won't be supporting American girl, and you could maybe get one of the original ones. Also, just so you know, you are not required to boycott ag, but I applaud you for doing so.
Old Dec 10, '13, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveGod102 View Post
You can buy American Girl dolls from eBay. That way you won't be supporting American girl, and you could maybe get one of the original ones. Also, just so you know, you are not required to boycott ag, but I applaud you for doing so.
I know I'm not required to boycott them.....It's more of a list of things I don't like:

They are discontinuing the original dolls, and putting to much focus on the Girl of today
They are not made in America any more
Customer service isn't what it was when they were pleasant company
Quality has gone down
Donating to Planned Parent hood
Getting SUPER expensive

All together = me buying a doll or two or even three (for the price of 1 AG doll and accessories), from the company listed above. We also Live in Denver so the Mother Cabrini story is local history for us as well.

I figure I have to buy stuff from places I do not like their politics many times because there is not a feasible alternative, this is one place there is, so I should do it.
Old Dec 10, '13, 6:42 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Question Re: American Girls Dolls

I bought Molly and Kirsten for my then 11 and 8 year old daughters 20 years ago when it was still Pleasant Company (named after the founder), before it became American Girl. It's a shame to see how the marketing has turned away from the original attempt to provide a quality 'keepsake' historical doll for girls, each with a positive and moral storyline, into a bunch of 'mini-me' narcissistic expensive 'status symbols'.

I don't really regret buying the original dolls (I get a lot of fun working with the pattern books and coming up with my own designs for clothing them and the half-dozen Barbies that were gifts and outgrown and left with 'Mom"), but I surely wouldn't buy them now. I'd go with the Springfield dolls and have the girls write their own stories and make their own clothes for them. More frugal and a lot more fun!

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Dec 10, '13, 6:51 pm

I plan on ordering the dolls linked above, and making a bunch of clothes for them. I have BOXES of scrap fabric just asking to be turned into cute clothes.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting