Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 12, '13, 12:04 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic ☦
Default Road Rage Incident has frightened me

It seems like all I do is ask for prayers...

I had a frightning experience today. I parked the car at the store and was getting out. It jus so happens that the person parked next to me was walking back to his car at the same time. He started SCREAMING at me at that I hit his mirror when I opened my door. I did not. I looked at his mirror and said "i didn't hit your mirror. Threre's nothing wrong with it". He said I hit his truck and "you don't know if there's any damage to it". He was looking for an argument. I told him "sir, I really didn't hit your mirror and if you think I did, I'm sorry. But I have nothing else to say about it". He would not let it go. I said "look, I can call 911 for them to solve this" He said "call them, they'll arrest you for hitting my car". I wasn't going to bother the police with this, and he drove off. However, I get into the store and turn around, and he is back in the parking lot, behind the car, taking a picture of the license plate. At that point, I did call 911. The police came out, I explained to them what happened. There was no damage on my car, nothing in the parking lot, like broken pieces of mirror. And they said that no one else called in to the police about a parking lot accident. Well, he succeeded in scaring me because I'm afraid he'll be able to look up the license plate and find out where we live. The DMV in this state won't give out the info without a written request, and there has to be a legitimate reason for the request. Still, I'm nervous.

I know I shouldn't have engaged in an argument with him. I don't even know what exactly I'm asking you to pray for in relation to this event. I just feel scared.

Cancer Prayer and Support Group
Old Aug 12, '13, 1:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Road Rage Incident has frightened me

May our Lord Jesus Christ who is Incarnate Wisdom and Love enter into this situation with the peace that only he can bring.
Old Aug 12, '13, 1:45 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Sounds quite scary:

O Holy Angel of the Lord, Faithful guardian of DeniseNY, pray to God for protection from the Evil One. Keep DeniseNY on the sure path to salvation. Strengthen her mind in the true way, and illumine her soul with good thoughts.

Amen.
Old Aug 12, '13, 1:47 pm
Banned

I have addressed your generalized anxiety and attempted to help you to at least intellectually understand it. Very, very hard when in the middle of a biological fight/flight situation such as you had today.

It's not so easy to get driver name/address from a license plate without the help of police and for a specific purpose that involves the commission of a crime. This guy had a really bad day. Maybe he beats his wife. Maybe his wife beats him! Maybe he lost his job recently or someone dear to him is ill or worse. He took it out on you. Hopefully, he feels like an idiot right now and is dreadfully sorry and won't do it again.

You are perfectly safe, Denise, in terms of this guy. Of course, had it been me, the "old" me would have been in his face, the "new" me would now be locked behind my door with the drapes drawn waiting for all hell to break loose. This is what the loss of a beloved one does, it's called PTSD and it's real. Share this with your husband or whomever you live with or a close friend and neighbor. If you have serious worries about what this man can find out about you from your license plate, call your local police department (not 911) and they will put your mind at ease.

Something that might have annoyed us in the past now incites an internal riot. Something we could have laughed off now brings us to tears, for hours. This is the normal path of grief. Do you have a grief counselor? God bless you.
Old Aug 12, '13, 2:03 pm

It is a scam and he could come knocking seeking money. You should always call 911 when their is a sign of aggression. Get the license plate number next time.

Praying for you. Praying that I am wrong. Know it happens in CA frequently.
Old Aug 12, '13, 2:10 pm

I had a similar experience last year. I was stopped at an intersection and backed up a bit because of oncoming traffic. My car touched the one behind me so slightly that I was unaware of it. The driver, a woman, got out and started screaming at me, saying I damaged her car and that she was going to call the police (she did, and filed a hit-and-run complaint, but I didn't get a summons). I didn't "hit" her car, and I didn't "run." I sat there till she stopped screaming at me and got back in her car.

A month later I saw the car going past near our neighborhood and took a picture. The woman and her husband stopped and I explained that I was taking a picture to show that there was no damage.

She called the police again and they sent four or five deputies and a dog to "protect" her from me. Only months later did I learn that she claimed that I forced her car to stop, leaned on it and looked in the window at her children--all lies.

Next she got a protective order against me, based on all these lies. The police believed her, the judge believed her, and I have had a lot of anxiety over it myself. I pray for her and her family every day but it still eats me up inside.
Old Aug 12, '13, 2:13 pm
Forum Elder

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may god rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Old Aug 12, '13, 2:19 pm

Praying that God will protect you.
Luke 12:25
Old Aug 12, '13, 2:23 pm

I was going to suggest that you keep a handgun in your car, and then I saw the location. The main thing to do in a situation like that is deescalation. Disengage from the person and let him have whatever little mental victory he wants.

There are a few ways to get the address from the plate, but they are not very easy. Unless the person has access to your state's DMV database, it probably won't happen unless you provided your license plate with some kind of loan application or something like that.
Old Aug 12, '13, 3:00 pm

Do some breath control exercises to calm down. Breath in to a count of 2 seconds, pause, and exhale to a count of 4. Next breath do 3 seconds in and 6 out, then 4 in and 8 out. Continue to 6 in and 12 out, then reverse doing 5 in, 10 out, then 4 in and 8 out till you get back to 2 and 4.

As for parking lots I don't like getting my car dinged so I park away from other cars. That would be good for you to do too, because no one is likely to park next to you to make a false accusation, plus it is good exercise to walk further to the store. It always astonishes me to see someone drive around and around waiting for a close spot to open up......and then they go into a gym and run for 30 minutes on a treadmill.
Old Aug 12, '13, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I was going to suggest that you keep a handgun in your car, and then I saw the location. The main thing to do in a situation like that is deescalation. Disengage from the person and let him have whatever little mental victory he wants.
Three reasons in this thread to escape from Sodom, umm NYC.
Old Aug 12, '13, 6:14 pm

Lord, have mercy on us. Christ, have mercy on us. Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us. Christ, graciously hear us.
God the Father of Heaven, have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God the Holy Ghost, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.
Holy Mary, Queen of the Angels, pray for us.
St. Michael, the Archangel, pray for us.
Most glorious attendant of the Triune Divinity, pray for us.
Standing at the right of the altar of Incense, pray for us.
Ambassador of Paradise, pray for us.
Glorious Prince of the Heavenly armies, pray for us.
Leader of the Angelic hosts, pray for us.
The standard-bearer of God's armies, pray for us.
Defender of Divine glory, pray for us.
First defender of the Kingship of Christ, pray for us.
Strength of God, pray for us.
Invincible Prince and warrior, pray for us.
Angel of Peace, pray for us.
Guide of Christ, pray for us.
Guardian of the Catholic Faith, pray for us.
Champion of God's people, pray for us.
Guardian Angel of the Eucharist, pray for us.
Defender of the Church, pray for us.
Protector of the Sovereign Pontiff, pray for us.
Angel of Catholic action, pray for us.
Powerful intercessor of Christians, pray for us.
Bravest defender of those who hope in God, pray for us.
Guardian of our souls and bodies, pray for us.
Healer of the sick, pray for us.
Help of those in their agony, pray for us.
Consoler of the Souls in Purgatory, pray for us.
God's messenger for the souls of the just, pray for us.
Terror of the evil spirits, pray for us.
Victorious in battle against evil, pray for us.
Guardian and Patron of the universal Church, pray for us.
Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, graciously hear us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.
V. Pray for us, O glorious St. Michael,
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray: Relying, O Lord, upon the intercession of Thy blessed Archangel Michael, we humbly beg of Thee, that the Sacrament of the Eucharist which we have received may make our souls holy and pleasing to Thee. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Old Aug 12, '13, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father_of_10 View Post
Three reasons in this thread to escape from Sodom, umm NYC.

Old Aug 12, '13, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literalman View Post
I had a similar experience last year. I was stopped at an intersection and backed up a bit because of oncoming traffic. My car touched the one behind me so slightly that I was unaware of it. The driver, a woman, got out and started screaming at me, saying I damaged her car and that she was going to call the police (she did, and filed a hit-and-run complaint, but I didn't get a summons). I didn't "hit" her car, and I didn't "run." I sat there till she stopped screaming at me and got back in her car.

A month later I saw the car going past near our neighborhood and took a picture. The woman and her husband stopped and I explained that I was taking a picture to show that there was no damage.

She called the police again and they sent four or five deputies and a dog to "protect" her from me. Only months later did I learn that she claimed that I forced her car to stop, leaned on it and looked in the window at her children--all lies.

Next she got a protective order against me, based on all these lies. The police believed her, the judge believed her, and I have had a lot of anxiety over it myself. I pray for her and her family every day but it still eats me up inside.
Hang in there. Our Lord was falsely accussed and you are suffering with Him.

Brian
Old Aug 12, '13, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XndrK View Post

Probably best if you are not one of the last 9...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions