Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 19, '13, 4:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default What's the difference between someone who is Beatified and someone who is Canonized

Dispite the obvious one has 1 miracle and the other two, I'm looking to see if there is a difference in were they are in heaven. Or is it that someone who is canonized is definitely in heaven(Canonized) and the other is either in heaven or the threshold of heaven(Beatified) but still technically in Purgatory
Old Aug 19, '13, 5:39 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What's the difference between someone who is Beatified and someone who is Canonized

When the Church canonizes someone, she is telling the faithful that this person is a saint and definitively in the presence of God (heaven).

A person who is declared beatified is said to be worthy of public recognition and veneration, usually because they led a life worthy of imitation in the Catholic faith. There are no levels of heaven, so at this point the Church does not say definitely that the person is in heaven or purgatory. The Church requires miracles in order to later help establish that the beatified is, in fact, in the presence of God and therefore a saint.
Old Aug 19, '13, 5:57 pm

Default Re: What's the difference between someone who is Beatified and someone who is Canonized

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodito View Post
When the Church canonizes someone, she is telling the faithful that this person is a saint and definitively in the presence of God (heaven).

A person who is declared beatified is said to be worthy of public recognition and veneration, usually because they led a life worthy of imitation in the Catholic faith. There are no levels of heaven, so at this point the Church does not say definitely that the person is in heaven or purgatory. The Church requires miracles in order to later help establish that the beatified is, in fact, in the presence of God and therefore a saint.
Well that's what I though too but then I heard someone on EWTN say that a Person who is beatified enjoys the Beatific vision of God.
Old Aug 19, '13, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodito View Post

Wait, I thought beatified people were in heaven.

Take a look at Blessed John XXIII. Pope Francis signed a canonization decree for Blessed John XXIII. As Father Lombardi explained, this canonization is valid, as there still was the existing miracle for John XXIII. Read this article.http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-fran...ees-for-john-x
Old Aug 20, '13, 5:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiringperson View Post
Wait, I thought beatified people were in heaven.
You know, you may be right. I'm trying to research this more and so far all I'm coming up with are distinctions that allow public veneration by particular groups (beatification) vs the universal church (canonization). So since I'm kind of confused myself, I'm going to bow out and trust someone more knowledgeable than me to enlighten us.
Old Aug 20, '13, 12:10 pm

The Catholic Encyclopedia has it that majority of theologians, including St. Thomas Aquinas, hold canonization infallibly states a person is in Heaven, while with beatification it is generally agreed this is not a certainty. According to Wikipedia, in the current practice the feast of a Saint can be celebrated anywhere and parishes can be consecrated in his honor, while for a Blessed the feast is restricted to certain locations such as his home diocese, and usually parishes cannot be named after him.

Catholic Encyclopedia, Beatification and Canonization:

Quote:
Is the pope infallible in issuing a decree of canonization? Most theologians answer in the affirmative. It is the opinion of St. Antoninus, Melchior Cano, Suarez, Bellarmine, Bañez, Vasquez, and, among the canonists, of Gonzales Tellez, Fagnanus, Schmalzgrüber, Barbosa, Reiffenstül, Covarruvias (Variar. resol., I, x, no 13), Albitius (De Inconstantiâ in fide, xi, no 205), Petra (Comm. in Const. Apost., I, in notes to Const. I, Alex., III, no 17 sqq.), Joannes a S. Thomâ (on II-II, Q. I, disp. 9, a. 2), Silvester (Summa, s.v. Canonizatio), Del Bene (De Officio Inquisit. II, dub. 253), and many others. In Quodlib. IX, a. 16, St. Thomas says: "Since the honour we pay the saints is in a certain sense a profession of faith, i.e., a belief in the glory of the Saints [quâ sanctorum gloriam credimus] we must piously believe that in this matter also the judgment of the Church is not liable to error."
Quote:
Canonists and theologians generally deny the infallible character of decrees of beatification, whether formal or equivalent, since it is always a permission, not a command; while it leads to canonization, it is not the last step. Moreover, in most cases, the cultus permitted by beatification, is restricted to a determined province, city, or religious body (Benedict XIV, op. cit., I, xlii). Some, however, have thought otherwise (Arriaga, Theol., V, disp. 7, p. 6; Amicus, Theol., IV, disp. 7, p. 4, no 98; Turrianus on II-II, V, disp. 17, no 6; Del Bene, De S. Inquisit. II, dub. 254).

Wikipedia, Canonization, Roman Catholic procedure since 1983:

Quote:
This allows beatification, giving the venerable the new title "Blessed" (abbreviated "Bl.") or, in Latin, Beatus or Beata. A feast day will be designated, but its observance is normally restricted to the Blessed's home diocese, to certain locations associated with him or her, and/or to the churches or houses of the blessed's religious order, if they belonged to one. Parishes may not normally be named in honor of a Blessed.
Quote:
The saint is assigned a feast day which may be celebrated anywhere within the Catholic Church, although it may or may not appear on the general calendar or local calendars as an obligatory feast, parish churches may be built in his or her honor, and the faithful may freely and without restriction celebrate and honor the saint.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality