Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 24, '05, 4:24 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Weirdest Penance Services

Over the years I've attended various penance services. Fortunately, I have'nt experienced anything crazy in recent years. But, back in the 80's things were different.

Here's the goofiest-

Three priests stood in the sactuary in front of a tall stand. On the top of the stand was a plate of sand. The penitent would approach a priest and, in the sand, print the first letter of the sin committed. So, for example, the letter "L" for lying. Of course, the priest only got the first letter. So, could I have been confessing "lying" or "lust"? I guess it didn't matter then!!

After that I quit going to communal penance services for a LONG time.

Micki
Old Oct 24, '05, 8:56 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Weirdest Penance Services

the strangest was my first time at our new parish, only one priest out of several scheduled showed up for Lenten penance service. He directed everyone to examine their conscience, distill everything they had to confess into one word, then to come up, and tell him that one word. At least we were given individual absolution. We all made an act of contrition and penance (the Our Father) together afterwards. Believe me it took all my English language skills to come up with a good word that encompassed everything-similar to supercallafragilisticexpialidocious.
Old Oct 24, '05, 2:58 pm

Some years ago in the diocese of Richmond they had everyone pick up a rock out of a basket. After the service you were supposed to put the rock back in the basket, symbolizing that you are no longer carrying the burden of sin around.
Old Oct 24, '05, 3:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Re: Weirdest Penance Services

Do these services replace the regular one-on-one confession?

- Kathie
Old Oct 24, '05, 4:06 pm

Bless me Father for I have sinned. I have committed 100 Mortal sins.

Ok my son, say 1 Hail Mary, now go in peace your sins are forgiven.

Gee, thanks Father!
Old Oct 24, '05, 4:20 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

It was a Sunday afternoon about a year ago.
The confirmation class of young people and their sponsors met in church. There was little heat so we stood together in the pews with our jackets on.

The Diocese of Rochester requires that before the Sacrament of Confirmation one must receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Instead of individual confession the pastor of our parish gave a blanket penance service. The priest asked those receiving confirmation to turn to their sponsors and confess sins. The sponsors were asked to turn to the confirmatee and confess sins. Then everyone suppose to forgive each other......all in about 5 minutes or less. The priest did not offer himself for individual confession.
Terrible...
We then practiced for Confirmation which was to be held 3 days later.
Later...the following Monday morning....I had the person I was sponsoring make an appt. for a real Sacrament of Reconciliation.
I had a word with the offending priest....he felt that most people were ill equiped to go to confession....he felt that most people don't know what they are doing.....I thought the priest was full of hogwash.
Old Oct 24, '05, 5:18 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I was going to post my weirdest penance service experience, but I sure can't match the ones that have already been posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harinkj
Do these services replace the regular one-on-one confession?

- Kathie
They're not supposed to. In a proper penance service, the service itself is designed to help you examine your conscience. This is followed by individual confession to a priest, often with several priests stationed around the church (the ones I've been to, you can choose between the traditional confessional box or face-to-face).

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
Old Oct 24, '05, 6:45 pm

The first time I went (two years after first Communion, yeah) I didn't know what I was doing. The priest asked me if there was anything special I wanted to tell him about, and I shrugged and said "no, not really."
Old Oct 24, '05, 6:57 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki
Over the years I've attended various penance services. Fortunately, I have'nt experienced anything crazy in recent years. But, back in the 80's things were different.

Here's the goofiest-

Three priests stood in the sactuary in front of a tall stand. On the top of the stand was a plate of sand. The penitent would approach a priest and, in the sand, print the first letter of the sin committed. So, for example, the letter "L" for lying. Of course, the priest only got the first letter. So, could I have been confessing "lying" or "lust"? I guess it didn't matter then!!

After that I quit going to communal penance services for a LONG time.

Micki
Maybe your "L" was for Long.
Old Oct 24, '05, 7:17 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Bombay

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady
Some years ago in the diocese of Richmond they had everyone pick up a rock out of a basket. After the service you were supposed to put the rock back in the basket, symbolizing that you are no longer carrying the burden of sin around.
I would've been tempted to chuck a rock at one of the priest's heads, symbolizing that I think they have rocks in their heads.
Old Oct 24, '05, 9:35 pm

I can say that the strangest (but still legit) penance service I went to was on a college retreat. We were scheduled to leave the student center to go to an area camp with cabins for the weekend, but we got snowed in. So we ended up sleeping at the student center, but the nearby Lutheran student center was gracious enough to let us use their facilities for the rest of the retreat.

When it came time for the reconciliation service, we used their chapel. It's rounded, and we stood in a big circle around the altar, passing around questions for examination of conscience. Then they darkened the room and (duck-duck-goose style) tapped people on the shoulder to go write their sins on an index card and go confess to one of the priests. Every priest had a coffee can where you burned your sins after absolution.

It does make me smile everytime I think, "Yeah, I had Catholic confession in a Lutheran church!" Maybe someday, not too far off, we really can be one again.
Old Oct 24, '05, 9:42 pm

Wow, these are interesting stories! We had a cheesy penance service once with a priest that was only here a couple of years because he caused such an uproar. He set up a huge widescreen TV in the front of the church and we watched a little media presentation about reconcilliation that was extremely touchy feely in nature, and more sounded like something that Leo Buscalia would put out, if anyone remembers him. They did have several priests to provide individual confession though. The TV thing was really awful though. I'd never heard of a big TV being set up in the church, it was to the right of the altar.

Proverbs 15:25
"To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is!"

<<<<<>>>>>
Old Oct 26, '05, 5:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemplative
It was a Sunday afternoon about a year ago.
The confirmation class of young people and their sponsors met in church. There was little heat so we stood together in the pews with our jackets on.

The Diocese of Rochester requires that before the Sacrament of Confirmation one must receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Instead of individual confession the pastor of our parish gave a blanket penance service. The priest asked those receiving confirmation to turn to their sponsors and confess sins. The sponsors were asked to turn to the confirmatee and confess sins. Then everyone suppose to forgive each other......all in about 5 minutes or less. The priest did not offer himself for individual confession.
Terrible...
We then practiced for Confirmation which was to be held 3 days later.
Later...the following Monday morning....I had the person I was sponsoring make an appt. for a real Sacrament of Reconciliation.
I had a word with the offending priest....he felt that most people were ill equiped to go to confession....he felt that most people don't know what they are doing.....I thought the priest was full of hogwash.
Well, when I was seven years old, I was ill equipped to go to confession, I didn't know what I was doing -- and that did NOT stop my church from making ME learn how to make a good confession. I believe your hogwash theory is correct.
Old Oct 29, '05, 5:36 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalBean
I can say that the strangest (but still legit) penance service I went to was on a college retreat. We were scheduled to leave the student center to go to an area camp with cabins for the weekend, but we got snowed in. So we ended up sleeping at the student center, but the nearby Lutheran student center was gracious enough to let us use their facilities for the rest of the retreat.

When it came time for the reconciliation service, we used their chapel. It's rounded, and we stood in a big circle around the altar, passing around questions for examination of conscience. Then they darkened the room and (duck-duck-goose style) tapped people on the shoulder to go write their sins on an index card and go confess to one of the priests. Every priest had a coffee can where you burned your sins after absolution.

It does make me smile everytime I think, "Yeah, I had Catholic confession in a Lutheran church!" Maybe someday, not too far off, we really can be one again.
Wow! This sounds really eerie.....
Old Oct 29, '05, 5:41 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardenio
The first time I went (two years after first Communion, yeah) I didn't know what I was doing. The priest asked me if there was anything special I wanted to tell him about, and I shrugged and said "no, not really."
Of course you know now that your were suppose to receive the Sacrament of Penance before your First Holy Communion.

"Special"?!?!
I have heard of 'specials of the day' at diners....'special surprises' at birthday parties............but never 'special sins'

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments