Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 24, '05, 8:44 am

Default RCIA Sponsors

Alright I was wondering, I am in R.C.I.A. right now and I remeber hearing it on the first day. What exactly is a sponsor? Why do we have them? how do I ask someone?
Old Oct 24, '05, 8:50 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Sponors

I am surprised you don't already have a sponsor. They are a practicing Catholic who goes through RCIA with you to help you on your journey by praying with you and helping you with any questions or needs you may have along the way. If you don't know anyone to fill the bill, then ask your RCIA director(s) to find someone for you (something they should already have done by now!).
Old Oct 24, '05, 9:01 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

The parish should provide your sponsor for the first part of RCIA, up until the beginning of Lent before you enter the Church. This person is a good faithful Catholic who represents the parish in welcoming you, introducing you to participation in parish life and Christian service, and modelling the Christian life. He is your companion throughout the process and will try to attend all the classes and rites with you. At the beginning of Lent, if you are to be baptized at Easter you will choose a Godparent, or a Confirmation sponsor if you are to be confirmed. (the requirements will be given to you at some point). If you don't know anyone to be a godparent the Parish will appoint a good person for you. The sponsor for the first part of RCIA is not the same person as the Godparent or Confirmation sponsor, although they could be if everyone agrees.
Old Oct 24, '05, 9:16 am

I'm in the RCIA program as well, about 2 weeks ago we had to submit the name of the person who's going to be our sponsor. I asked who could it NOT be, and I was told that they had to be catholic and after that it could be anyone. So since I don't anyone outside my family who I would select as a sponsor, I chose my mother.

But we were never told any of the things Della and puzzleannie said. Aside from giving the name of the person and them being Catholic, that was it.

I had a email conversation last night with a friend who knows I'm in the RCIA program, and she asked me how it was going. She asked this because I had expressed to her before that I felt I was learning more from reading stuff off of Catholic.com website and forums and from buying Catholic books. She told how on the EWTN program "The Journey Home" the guest, Ken Henderson the operator of "True Knights.org", said how he didn't feel like he got anything out of the RCIA program. Which so far up to now I would say I feel the same way, although I know it's still early in program.

Nelson
Old Oct 24, '05, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMaMaXiMuS
I'm in the RCIA program as well, about 2 weeks ago we had to submit the name of the person who's going to be our sponsor. I asked who could it NOT be, and I was told that they had to be catholic and after that it could be anyone. So since I don't anyone outside my family who I would select as a sponsor, I chose my mother.

But we were never told any of the things Della and puzzleannie said. Aside from giving the name of the person and them being Catholic, that was it.

I had a email conversation last night with a friend who knows I'm in the RCIA program, and she asked me how it was going. She asked this because I had expressed to her before that I felt I was learning more from reading stuff off of Catholic.com website and forums and from buying Catholic books. She told how on the EWTN program "The Journey Home" the guest, Ken Henderson the operator of "True Knights.org", said how he didn't feel like he got anything out of the RCIA program. Which so far up to now I would say I feel the same way, although I know it's still early in program.

Nelson
Puzzzleannie et. al. have answered the question quite well. In our parish in Wisconsin we have potential sponsors lined up to be with the group from day one. After a short time a sponsor is chosen or assigned and is expectyed to be at as many RCIA classes and functions as possible( only occasional misses allowed). I guess I am struck by how much variation in quality that seems to exist from parish to parish. It is discouraging to see some of the problems that crop up in what is a very excellent program on paper.
Old Oct 24, '05, 2:20 pm
Forum Master

Default Re: RCIA Sponsors

Montie, if you are attending OLOL, I think you may want to ask Michael Strother to be your sponsor (A little inside information can go a long way). Tell him, his cousin Cheryl's husband sent you.

Notworthy
Old Oct 24, '05, 3:52 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMaMaXiMuS

Nelson
A Sponsor must be a Practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church and should be Confirmed. In order to be a Confirmation Sponsor or Godparent they must be Confirmed. A parent CANNOT be a Godparent or Confirmation Sponsor to their own child.
Old Oct 24, '05, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy
Montie, if you are attending OLOL, I think you may want to ask Michael Strother to be your sponsor (A little inside information can go a long way). Tell him, his cousin Cheryl's husband sent you.

Notworthy
Thanks. For some reason I didn't think to ask the teacher to be a sponser. Thanks I'll ask him.
Old Oct 24, '05, 4:33 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

we discussed this not long ago on another thread, probably in response to a question from ParisBlue. The confusion is in the use of the word sponsor. The RCIA sponsor (for a catechumen, who is unbaptized) is the person appointed by the parish to accompany the catechumen during the RCIA process, especially during Breaking Open the Word (teaching based on Sunday lectionary readings), and sometimes also in the doctrinal class. The catechumen will choose a Godparent closer to Lent, the person who will be the official witness to his baptism and confirmation.

The already baptized person who is preparing to enter into full communion with the Church will choose a sponsor (same requirements as Godparent cited above) for Confirmation. Same word, slightly different function and role.
Old Oct 24, '05, 8:50 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic and loving it!

This is certainly a timely thread for me! I was assigned a sponsor at the beginning of RCIA. She seems nice enough but she works nights and comes to the class (the breaking open of the word is from 8:30 am-9:00 then our sponsors come in with us until 10am on Sunday morning) exhausted and barely able to comprehend what is going on. Sunday a week ago she came very late. Yesterday she was not there at all. I realize that she will miss from time to time, but I kind of feel like I am floating along by myself here and it is kind of uncomfortable. I have to say I love the class and for the first time in my life I actually look forward to going to Church! But, it would be nice to have a sponsor that is a little more involved with the process and "there" for me.

Tamie Walcott
Old Oct 25, '05, 6:48 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamie
This is certainly a timely thread for me! I was assigned a sponsor at the beginning of RCIA. She seems nice enough but she works nights and comes to the class (the breaking open of the word is from 8:30 am-9:00 then our sponsors come in with us until 10am on Sunday morning) exhausted and barely able to comprehend what is going on. Sunday a week ago she came very late. Yesterday she was not there at all. I realize that she will miss from time to time, but I kind of feel like I am floating along by myself here and it is kind of uncomfortable. I have to say I love the class and for the first time in my life I actually look forward to going to Church! But, it would be nice to have a sponsor that is a little more involved with the process and "there" for me.

Tamie Walcott
Remember that a Sponsors key purpose is to meet with you once a week outside of the RCIA sessions to talk and answer
questions. It is good if they can be there for Catechetical sessions and BOW and should as much as possible. They should also attend Holy day Mass with you.
Old Oct 25, '05, 9:23 am

Religion: Christian Catholic since 9/9/06
Send a message via AIM to djrakowski

Good heavens, it sounds like my RCIA experience is even worse than I thought! Our fourth class is tonight, and I haven't heard a single word about needing a sponsor. We don't have anything called "Breaking Open the Word," and I haven't learned anything I didn't already know by reading and listening to apologetics resources. Class discussions are dominated by cradle Catholics asking about a variety of private revelations and devotions, rather than on the assigned texts of the Catechism and the Bible. And, this parish is considered one of the most 'orthodox' in our archdiocese!

If this is what passes for adult education in most parishes, I can understand why the church has trouble keeping people from converting to Protestantism.
Old Oct 25, '05, 9:44 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrakowski
Good heavens, it sounds like my RCIA experience is even worse than I thought! Our fourth class is tonight, and I haven't heard a single word about needing a sponsor. We don't have anything called "Breaking Open the Word," and I haven't learned anything I didn't already know by reading and listening to apologetics resources. Class discussions are dominated by cradle Catholics asking about a variety of private revelations and devotions, rather than on the assigned texts of the Catechism and the Bible. And, this parish is considered one of the most 'orthodox' in our archdiocese!

If this is what passes for adult education in most parishes, I can understand why the church has trouble keeping people from converting to Protestantism.
Because your class isn't perfect, it only places greater responsibility on you. There are numerous books and even some good websites that talk about the Church and its teaching. PM me if you want me to give you some references. Too many people have the misunderstanding that RCIA is the end all about learning about the Church. Its basically a primer. Learning is a life-long experience required of us all.

Regarding not talking about a Sponsor by your fourth meeting, don't despair. Different Pastors do it differently. In our Parish, we have parishioners who are attending class with the Candidates/Catechumens from the beginning. At the class prior to the Rite of Welcome (about our 10th class), Father assigns sponsors based on who develops relationships with who. The role of the sponsors are to support them on the remainder of the journey and to be a resource after Confirmation. However, Father makes it clear that they are not catechists for their Candidate/Catechumen.
Old Oct 25, '05, 9:50 am

Religion: Christian Catholic since 9/9/06
Send a message via AIM to djrakowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionthehunter
Because your class isn't perfect, it only places greater responsibility on you. There are numerous books and even some good websites that talk about the Church and its teaching. PM me if you want me to give you some references. Too many people have the misunderstanding that RCIA is the end all about learning about the Church. Its basically a primer. Learning is a life-long experience required of us all.
Thanks for the offer, but believe me, I've spent much $$$ on resources over the last year or so. Really, I don't expect any class to be perfect, nor do I expect it to be the end-all of learning about the Church, but I expect it to teach something!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionthehunter
Regarding not talking about a Sponsor by your fourth meeting, don't despair. Different Pastors do it differently. In our Parish, we have parishioners who are attending class with the Candidates/Catechumens from the beginning. At the class prior to the Rite of Welcome (about our 10th class), Father assigns sponsors based on who develops relationships with who. The role of the sponsors are to support them on the remainder of the journey and to be a resource after Confirmation. However, Father makes it clear that they are not catechists for their Candidate/Catechumen.
Oh, I'm not in despair. I was more surprised that I didn't even know I needed a sponsor until I read this thread.
Old Oct 25, '05, 9:56 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrakowski
Thanks for the offer, but believe me, I've spent much $$$ on resources over the last year or so. Really, I don't expect any class to be perfect, nor do I expect it to be the end-all of learning about the Church, but I expect it to teach something!
Another thing, you have only had four classes. We spend our first five classes talking about Salvation History and certain Truths that we hold in common with all Christians as a bridge to explain the Church's Teaching that differ from Protestantism and to aid in the discernment process. Maybe because you are beyond that in your development, you aren't getting anything so far.

Finally, it might be that your parish is suffering from the results of the poor catechisis to Catholics over the last 30 years. Maybe after your confirmation, your mystogia calling might be to help your Pastor next year make the class better!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization