Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 24, '13, 5:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Unhappy Syria: Cameron and Obama agree to military strike over chemical weapons

The US president sealed the deal in a 40-minute phone call to the Prime Minister at his holiday retreat in Cornwall...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...medium=twitter
Old Aug 24, '13, 5:56 pm

Default Re: Syria: Cameron and Obama agree to military strike over chemical weapons

Didn't this already happen with Iraq? America has amnesia. Those who thought that Obama would be against war sure were fooled. Where are the anti-war protesters who used to protest the Iraq war every day in front of the White House during the Bush admin? It's plain to see that they were frauds since almost all of them now support any war waged by Obama. And on top of it, we already know that the Syrian "rebels" are terrorists who behead Christians. But Obama chooses to help these terrorists take over Syria.
Old Aug 24, '13, 6:28 pm
Banned

Default Re: Syria: Cameron and Obama agree to military strike over chemical weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwordunity View Post
Didn't this already happen with Iraq? America has amnesia. Those who thought that Obama would be against war sure were fooled. Where are the anti-war protesters who used to protest the Iraq war every day in front of the White House during the Bush admin? It's plain to see that they were frauds since almost all of them now support any war waged by Obama. And on top of it, we already know that the Syrian "rebels" are terrorists who behead Christians. Yet this is the side that Obama chooses to help.
Yep, the Western-backed Syrian Rebels are not only guilty of torturing and murdering Catholics (like Father Francois Murad) but they are also guilty of the mass-murder of Syrians (mosty women and children) which they then blame on Assad with the complicity of the American Media. Obama and every other American who supports these Syrian Rebrls in any way are also complicit in the demonic Mass Murder that is taking place in Syria.

Once again it looks like we will witness another unconstitutional, unjust and unnecessary war. I wonder when the American Military is going to get sick of being used as a private mercenary force for the international corporate elite? "Just following orders" ain't an excuse. General Dempsey and others in the military know that the Congress and the President have been compromised by foreign interests but sadly they also know that there isn't much that can be done at this point. They (and we) are along for the ride.

In related developments:

The Vatican has cautioned against jumping to conclusions without facts regarding the latest chemical attack in Syria http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/vat...-without-facts

Syria has responded to the imminent, threatened American attack by saying that any such attack will have dangerous consequences. "A mass of flames will ignite the Middle East," said Syria's Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi, and added that attack on its country will not aid in any way. Regarding the use of chemical weapons, the minister said that "the use of the Syrian opposition's of chemical weapons shows their incompetence and confusion." According to him, the regime has proof that the rebels made use of chemical weapons. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...421631,00.html
Old Aug 24, '13, 6:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Didn't this already happen with Iraq? America has amnesia. Those who thought that Obama would be against war sure were fooled. Where are the anti-war protesters who used to protest the Iraq war every day in front of the White House during the Bush admin? It's plain to see that they were frauds since almost all of them now support any war waged by Obama.
This is true. I remember debates among some leftists when the intervention in Libya happened. Some stood by what they had said under Bush: civilian casualties were unjustifiable, the motive was imperialism, etc. Others changed their tune: the state could be an agent in revolutionary change, etc.
Old Aug 24, '13, 6:51 pm
Forum Master

It can't be that hard to trace the origin of the chemicals used and to determine the capability of rebels vs the government to manufacture them. Their use is a crime that cries out to God for vengeance. War should be avoided if at all possible - that doesn't mean tyrants should have free reign. Reagan, I admire very much for having understood the difference between short swift kicks in the you-know-where of the bad guys vs getting bogged down in prolonged 'unwinnable' wars.
From the age of pharaohs through myriad mutations of the enduring human inclination to oppress and exclude through unjust remuneration, the basic justification has remained unchanged. It is the fear, affected or real, propounded by countless leaders, scholars, and statesman, that extending justice to all, will lead to national impoverishment and decline. Cyclical retelling of the Exodus story among people of faith serves to celebrate the role of God's saving justice in the human cycle of oppression and redemption. It also serves as an admonition to be on the right side of this story in every age and time.
Old Aug 24, '13, 7:05 pm

It's déjà vu all over again and my guess is our military will be used to bomb Syria. American Catholics will once again break out with yellow ribbons and "support the troops" rallies whether or not the war is just according to the Holy Father. They will make the excuse that the morality of war is up to the prudential judgment of the elected officials and we like good little sheep must obey and support our military. America after all is exceptional and has been set apart to do God's work on earth. Anyone who says anything negative about the war will be considered traitors.

The heresy of Americanism will reer its ugly head again.
Old Aug 24, '13, 7:18 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Micelli View Post
It's déjà vu all over again and my guess is our military will be used to bomb Syria. American Catholics will once again break out with yellow ribbons and "support the troops" rallies whether or not the war is just according to the Holy Father. They will make the excuse that the morality of war is up to the prudential judgment of the elected officials and we like good little sheep must obey and support our military. America after all is exceptional and has been set apart to do God's work on earth. Anyone who says anything negative about the war will be considered traitors.

Americanism? How about plain old human compassion? Did you see the images of those dead children, limbs frozen in mid-air? Do you really think they'd care about the nationality of whoever could have prevented their torture? I'm thinking it should take scientists no great amount of time to figure out who is capable of making the weapons responsible. I have no desire to live in a world where these kids brothers and sisters grow up hating everybody for doing NADA. Yes, there are many sides in this conflict and many who suffer innocently, but there is such a thing as going too far.
From the age of pharaohs through myriad mutations of the enduring human inclination to oppress and exclude through unjust remuneration, the basic justification has remained unchanged. It is the fear, affected or real, propounded by countless leaders, scholars, and statesman, that extending justice to all, will lead to national impoverishment and decline. Cyclical retelling of the Exodus story among people of faith serves to celebrate the role of God's saving justice in the human cycle of oppression and redemption. It also serves as an admonition to be on the right side of this story in every age and time.
Old Aug 24, '13, 8:03 pm

FOX News still quoting Obama as saying more facts are needed http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...agel-suggests/ If anyone can face down America on this Frankenstein's monster course of aggression it's pursuing it's Vladimir Putin. I pray he's up to it.
Old Aug 24, '13, 8:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
Americanism? How about plain old human compassion? Did you see the images of those dead children, limbs frozen in mid-air? Do you really think they'd care about the nationality of whoever could have prevented their torture? I'm thinking it should take scientists no great amount of time to figure out who is capable of making the weapons responsible. I have no desire to live in a world where these kids brothers and sisters grow up hating everybody for doing NADA. Yes, there are many sides in this conflict and many who suffer innocently, but there is such a thing as going too far.
America is arming and funding these "Syrian Rebels" who are controlled by al-Qaeda. The United States is officially a state-sponsor of Terrorism. These terrorist "Syrian Rebels" are neither Syrian nor rebels. They are some of the most demonic, dangerous butchers on the planet. Before they were in Syria they were in Libya. They took the road to Damascus, but not to convert. These terrorist "Syrian Rebels" (and their enablers in Congress, the American Media, and within the American Populace) have innocent Syrian blood on their hands, mostly of women and children, and mostly Christian. These terrorist "Syrian Rebels" were behind all the massacres (Daraa, Homs, Houla, Tremesh, etc.) that were originally, falsely blamed on Assad. The "Syrian Rebels" had more to gain from this latest chemical attack than Assad who is actually supported by a majority of real Syrians.
Old Aug 24, '13, 8:31 pm
Forum Elder

Hey. Defense contractors have been on the phone with Obama ever since this Syria thing started. "Mr. President? Look, we're sittin' onna lotta inventory and we got kids tuh put thru college. Know what I'm sayin'?" And "Look, Mr. President, if we don't move some inventory soon, I gotta lay off some guys and I start losin' money. Ya know what I'm sayin'?"

The landscape has been changed in Libya, Egypt, and Iraq, and Syria is next, to be followed by Iran.

Pretty simple, actually.

Ed
Old Aug 24, '13, 8:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Neophyte (Easter, 2014)

I honestly do not know what should be done. I just hope whatever they do, they are extremely cautious in moving forward.
Old Aug 24, '13, 8:55 pm

So, just like Americans and Brits have given Russia a lot of grief for the past several weeks, maybe we should all start a campaign to boycott any American or British event then!
Old Aug 24, '13, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Didn't this already happen with Iraq? America has amnesia. Those who thought that Obama would be against war sure were fooled. Where are the anti-war protesters who used to protest the Iraq war every day in front of the White House during the Bush admin? It's plain to see that they were frauds since almost all of them now support any war waged by Obama. And on top of it, we already know that the Syrian "rebels" are terrorists who behead Christians. But Obama chooses to help these terrorists take over Syria.
Syria is rather different than Iraq, as are the reasons for intervening. As for Obama helping terrorists take over Syria, I hope you aren't labeling every Syrian who is tired of being under an oppressive regime a terrorist. The terrorists in Syria have such a presence because the Syrian regime has already either destroyed or imprisoned all the non-extremist opposition groups.
Old Aug 24, '13, 9:04 pm
Prayer Warrior

I'm like the last poster who doesn't know what to do. I don't know who's right and the government and the media are the last to tell us the truth. I'm talking about ALL the media!

Lord, let us pray. Teach us to pray for peace in this un-peaceful world.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen
God would not vouchsafe you the desire to be the Victim of His Merciful Love,were this not a favor in store...God never inspires a longing which He cannot fulfill. --St. Therese of Lisieux (Autobiography)
Old Aug 24, '13, 9:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Micelli View Post

I seem to remember seeing news stories almost daily about protests against the wars and elected officials making some rather negative statements about the war while I was eating chow in the DFAC on our FOB. What I don't seem to remember is anyone being considered, let alone called, a traitor for this.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News