Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 28, '13, 8:55 pm

Religion: Norse Heathen
Default What to do with a rosary?

So, courtesy of some overzealous yet well-meaning (I hope) relatives, I just received a rosary in the mail today as an unexpected gift. I have no idea what to do with it. I can't imagine actually using it and I wouldn't wear it as jewellery. I don't know whether I should just keep it and toss it in a drawer somewhere or whether it would be better to donate it to someone who will actually use it, even if it was a gift. It's apparently hand-crafted, so it seems a shame to just let someone's work go to waste. If I donate it, where would you recommend donating it? Also, if I keep it, are there any rules about storing it or anything? It's not my religion, but I'd prefer not to profane other people's religious objects anyway. Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 28, '13, 9:04 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What to do with a rosary?

If you don't wish to keep it, stop by a Catholic church in your area and donate it. Many parishes have a need for extra rosaries.
You are right not to wear it as jewelry, as that really isn't what its for.

In peace.......
Prairie Rose
He does not abandon us. Every Mass is a Second Coming, every Eucharist a revelation, every Communion an apocalypse. So it shall be until the skies roll back, the earth parts, and the living and the dead are summoned to judgment when the time of mercy has passed
Old Aug 28, '13, 10:56 pm

Thank you for being respectful of our religion. If you decide to keep it, the main thing is to treat it with respect. So for example one wouldn't throw it around carelessly or stack a bunch of stuff on top of it. If we drop it on the floor we are supposed to kiss it as a sign of respect. Our code of canon law states:
Can. 1171 Sacred objects, which are designated for divine worship by dedication or blessing, are to be treated reverently and are not to be employed for profane or inappropriate use even if they are owned by private persons.
In case you are curious what Catholics do with the beads, you can look at this site here.
Old Aug 29, '13, 12:43 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Smile Re: What to do with a rosary?

I have an alternative suggestion. Keep it.

There are different devotions that can be prayed using that set of beads.

Naturally, the Rosary itself. And the prayers for it can be found here.

Then, and I highly recommend this one; there is the Divine Mercy Chaplet which is shorter and has a different tone to it.

I love them both so it's a win/win so far as I am concerned.

Finally, no matter whether you use it or not, I would suggest that you hang it on a nail somewhere in your house simply because it is a gift given to you as a sign of their love for you, and in the context of our faith.

What can it hurt? Taken in this context it becomes a familial expression of love for you, and who doesn't need these reminders from time to time?

Old Aug 29, '13, 1:05 am

I have several rosaries. My hubby got one for me in Mexico and I hang it on my dresser. It's pretty. You could do that and be reminded of the person who gave it to you as a gift.
Old Aug 29, '13, 1:14 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

All the suggestions above are good ones; I have nothing to add. But I did want to thank you for respecting our beliefs, even though they are not your own.

I wish you all the best.

Just as God's will is creation and is called "the world," so his intention is the salvation of men, and it is called "the Church."
- St. Clement of Alexandria

Old Aug 29, '13, 5:40 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thank you for being so respectful. It's appreciated!
needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties."
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVl
Old Aug 29, '13, 9:31 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullveig View Post
So, courtesy of some overzealous yet well-meaning (I hope) relatives, I just received a rosary in the mail today as an unexpected gift. I have no idea what to do with it. I can't imagine actually using it and I wouldn't wear it as jewellery. I don't know whether I should just keep it and toss it in a drawer somewhere or whether it would be better to donate it to someone who will actually use it, even if it was a gift. It's apparently hand-crafted, so it seems a shame to just let someone's work go to waste. If I donate it, where would you recommend donating it? Also, if I keep it, are there any rules about storing it or anything? It's not my religion, but I'd prefer not to profane other people's religious objects anyway. Thanks in advance.
Since you are not Catholic and I don't even know if you are a Christian but the Rosary is a most beautiful prayer for Christians. It is wonderful to hold those beads and as you do imagine the scene each mystery portrays and imagine yourself in the picture. Suppose you are 13 years old and you loved God and delighted in the sun, moon, stars, the goats that give you milk, the figs you pick from the trees,etc. One day you are just thinking of God and suddenly a Angel comes to you and tells you that you are to be the Mother of the long awaited Messiah.....if you know the story you can take it from there. Anyway, learn what the mysteries of the Rosary are and read about them in the Bible. From there trust the Holy Spirt to lead you.
Old Aug 29, '13, 9:51 am

I doubt that I will ever use them. It's not that it's prohibited, exactly, but I would feel disloyal to my own gods by praying to another god. Gifting is a sacred thing and sacred objects can't be dismissed easily in my religion, though, so I'm not sure whether it would be better to give it to a Catholic who would use it or keep it because it was given to me. It's kind of like receiving a puppy out of the blue that I have no care and feeding instructions for. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just hang it up on my dresser or something until I can figure out what to do with it.

Thanks for the input.

Old Aug 29, '13, 4:40 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
I doubt that I will ever use them. It's not that it's prohibited, exactly, but I would feel disloyal to my own gods by praying to another god. Gifting is a sacred thing and sacred objects can't be dismissed easily in my religion, though, so I'm not sure whether it would be better to give it to a Catholic who would use it or keep it because it was given to me. It's kind of like receiving a puppy out of the blue that I have no care and feeding instructions for. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just hang it up on my dresser or something until I can figure out what to do with it.

Thanks for the input.
Just an opinion, but I think you should keep it since it was given in friendship. Just put it in one of the corners of a clothes drawer as a remembrance of that friendship.

May God bless and keep you. May God's face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
Old Aug 30, '13, 10:20 pm
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

But what if all this Catholic stuff is true? What would you do with it then?
Old Aug 30, '13, 11:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNomineDomini View Post
But what if all this Catholic stuff is true? What would you do with it then?
Well, if I was Catholic, I'd probably keep it and use it. Alas, I am but an ignorant heathen, so the best I can do is try not to offend your god by accidentally doing inappropriate things to one of his sacred objects.

Old Sep 11, '13, 10:05 am

Religion: Pagan/Wiccan

Quote:
Well, if I was Catholic, I'd probably keep it and use it. Alas, I am but an ignorant heathen, so the best I can do is try not to offend your god by accidentally doing inappropriate things to one of his sacred objects.
It makes me very happy to see such respectful interaction. My heart is warmed, and I am glad I'm not alone in my feelings regarding "objects of faith." I get angry and disgusted when I read news articles about the desecration of houses of worship, theft of items therefrom, damage inflicted on the sacred grounds of cemetaries, etc. As I would not want anyone to insult my faith, none of those insults to the faiths of others would be acceptable to me. I do my best to protect those being harmed in daily life, and as a result, sometimes I am gifted with things like the rosary you received.

In the presence of such respect, there is no reason why "Heathens" (such as you and I, Gullveig) can't keep a gift such as this, even if we find no personal "use" for it. A rosary (or other such object) does not have to be "used" to be respected and enjoyed. It seems this gift of a rosary came to you from someone's heart. If it is a gift of love, then keep it. I keep my items in what is my personal "sacred space." This may be a home altar, a devotional area, a bookcase containing photos or remembrances of your family tree, a steamer trunk in which private, meaningful items are kept hidden, etc. (Regarding rosaries in particular... similar items are being made by those who follow our paths. They are called prayer beads, Goddess beads, etc., and I possess some myself. I keep them with a Catholic rosary, a medal of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, and other items from various different religions all of which I use as devotionals for that which is the sacred feminine.)

I wonder if your rosary has been blessed. (Some such items may not be blessed at first, as part of the remarkable experience of obtaining a special item could be the actual participation in the blessings itself, i.e., holding it while the Priest blesses it, feeling his hand atop the believer's hand, enjoying the atmosphere of a holy place - the Church - while the blessing is performed, all of which adds to its "specialness.") Whether it's blessed or not, offering such respect as you are doing under the circumstances is refreshing. I don't think God/dess would be in the least offended by such positive efforts.

Namaste.
Old Sep 11, '13, 6:42 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Our Adoration chapel never has enough rosaries available for people to use while praying. I don't know if you live in an area that has them available, but you can look on the local Catholic church's/churches' website(s) and see if they have times listed for Adoration. If so, you could offer to donate your rosary for use there. At our chapel, there is a peg on the wall by the book shelf where they hang rosaries for people to use while they are visiting.

You could also look for a Catholic pregnancy center or maternity home that might be able to gift your Rosary to a new mother, or a Catholic school that could use it in a classroom.

No matter how beautiful, I too would feel uncomfortable or disloyal by owning something that belonged to a different religion. But if you do decide to keep it, you could make or buy a small cloth pouch to store it in. I keep mine in an organza pouch with a drawstring so it doesn't get tangled up with other things in my drawer.

Thank you for your consideration and respect. That's something I highly value. I can get along with people of any faith or lack thereof as long as we can respect each other.
Old Sep 11, '13, 6:49 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Discerning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Rose View Post
If you don't wish to keep it, stop by a Catholic church in your area and donate it. Many parishes have a need for extra rosaries.
You are right not to wear it as jewelry, as that really isn't what its for.

In peace.......
Prairie Rose
This!

But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.Gal 3:25-26

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality