Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 7, '13, 9:42 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Is masturbating 1 day a week better than everyday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Read the OP's opening post. He knows its wrong (knowledge) but still does it (full consent). No mental incapacity and no coercion. Mortal sin.
The alcoholic knows drinking whiskey isn't good for him and the heroin addict knows that heroin is bad for him. Is what they do mortally sinful?
Old Sep 10, '13, 11:01 am

Religion: Catholic

Has the Church made any specific comments relative to the known health benefits of masturbation?

For instance, medical studies have shown that masturbation helps prevent cervical infections and helps relieve urinary tract infections for women, and helps prevent cancer in men, it is associated with improved cardiovascular health and lower risk of type-2 diabetes, helps work against insomnia naturally through hormonal and tension release, increases pelvic floor strength, helps treat premature ejaculation in men, etc, etc.

If anyone can provide me links to official Church comments on this I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Sep 10, '13, 11:07 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan2 View Post
Has the Church made any specific comments relative to the known health benefits of masturbation?

For instance, medical studies have shown that masturbation helps prevent cervical infections and helps relieve urinary tract infections for women, and helps prevent cancer in men, it is associated with improved cardiovascular health and lower risk of type-2 diabetes, helps work against insomnia naturally through hormonal and tension release, increases pelvic floor strength, helps treat premature ejaculation in men, etc, etc.

If anyone can provide me links to official Church comments on this I would greatly appreciate it.
The Church doesn't generally comment on medical health "discoveries."

For the sake of argument, let's assume that the popular media's perception of these studies is 100% accurate, or even understated. Masturbation will prevent disease and cure cancer and make sick little puppies get well again, etc., etc.

That does not change the morality of the act. The end does not justify the means. We may never do evil that good may come of it. That's Christian Morality 101.

I don't put much stock in these studies, though.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Sep 10, '13, 4:26 pm

Talking Re: Is masturbating 1 day a week better than everyday?

Dumb thoughts about Heath issues concerning Mrs Palmer coming over to visit...
Reminds me of a nut case I once worked with... He had health facts about the issue almost everyday... One was.. You should never have Mrs Palmer entertain you while you are in control of a speeding Motor vehicle ...... Could be a cause of an accident ....lol
Old Sep 10, '13, 8:09 pm

Religion: Christian

Yea...that's it...I was doing it for health reasons!
Old Sep 10, '13, 8:35 pm

The Things I could say.......lol...... best not.....
Old Sep 11, '13, 7:18 am

I think I'll post this here instead of starting a new thread.

I've been suffering from the same sin. Mastetbation is hard to break, especially when you started years and years ago. Since coming back to the church, I've gone almost a month without doing it; twice. I ended up doing it again after being triggered by personal things ; an ex getting back in touch with me. it stinks cause I was making good progress. More prayer and hardly any urges at all. Does anyone have any advice on fighting off these triggers?
Old Sep 11, '13, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
The Church doesn't generally comment on medical health "discoveries."

For the sake of argument, let's assume that the popular media's perception of these studies is 100% accurate, or even understated. Masturbation will prevent disease and cure cancer and make sick little puppies get well again, etc., etc.

That does not change the morality of the act. The end does not justify the means. We may never do evil that good may come of it. That's Christian Morality 101.

I don't put much stock in these studies, though.
It is natural for people to discount studies that contradict their currently-held opinions, regardless of what the topic in question is. However, the results of these studies are now the basis for commonly held medical viewpoints, so they are in fact quite valid.

I suspected that the Church has not formally commented on these health benefits - at least I could not locate any formal comments - which is why I asked the question in my earlier post.

Only recently did I discover the Church's official position on masturbation, and I was quite surprised. I have tried to understand it, but I cannot wrap my head around it no matter how hard I try. For instance, if someone lives a good life, is a good worker, a good spouse, a good parent, a good friend, and an upstanding member of the community - but he or she masturbates - they are condemned??? That doesn't make sense to me.
Old Sep 12, '13, 6:44 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
It is natural for people to discount studies that contradict their currently-held opinions, regardless of what the topic in question is. However, the results of these studies are now the basis for commonly held medical viewpoints, so they are in fact quite valid.

I suspected that the Church has not formally commented on these health benefits - at least I could not locate any formal comments - which is why I asked the question in my earlier post.

Only recently did I discover the Church's official position on masturbation, and I was quite surprised. I have tried to understand it, but I cannot wrap my head around it no matter how hard I try. For instance, if someone lives a good life, is a good worker, a good spouse, a good parent, a good friend, and an upstanding member of the community - but he or she masturbates - they are condemned??? That doesn't make sense to me.
Can you provide evidence for the assertion that this is a "commonly held medical viewpoint"?

I guess there was never a point in my life where I did not recognize the damage that masturbation causes. It's always been easy for me to see it as a sin, even during those parts of my life where I doubted Catholic teaching on other things. It trains us to be selfish and to see the pleasure of sex as something solitary and divorced from its proper context.

I question the idea that someone could be a good worker, spouse, parent, friend, etc. while committing this sin and seeing it as no big deal. It's going to spill over into other aspects of the person's life.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Sep 12, '13, 7:18 pm

Well if people do it strictly for health reasons, then I should live to be 110 ,
Because as a teen I was at it on average 6-7 times per day 7 days a week...
Tried in vain to average 10 times per day.,,, really really tried,,,, but just couldn't do it,,,
With work or school....
Well I turned out ok,,,,,
Old Sep 12, '13, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Can you provide evidence for the assertion that this is a "commonly held medical viewpoint"?
This article is representative of this.

http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationshi...urbation-guide

Quote:
I question the idea that someone could be a good worker, spouse, parent, friend, etc. while committing this sin and seeing it as no big deal. It's going to spill over into other aspects of the person's life.
Really? How so? Considering that the vast majority of people masturbate, do you really think that the vast majority of people are not good workers, spouses, parents, friends, etc? Perhaps I am misinterpreting your comments, but it seems like you have a dismal view of humankind.
Old Sep 18, '13, 6:15 am

Religion: Christian

Something my priest recommended for me, may be of help to some of you...

http://www.reclaimsexualhealth.com/
Old Sep 18, '13, 12:04 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Considering that the vast majority of people masturbate...
Source?
Old Sep 18, '13, 7:20 pm

Religion: Catholic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
For some people, especially if they have a touch of OCD, the more they fight temptation the worse it can get.

You have to get behind and underneath the temptation and build healthy loving relationships, which means that you have to be healthy and loving yourself.

This can take time and much effort.
Bingo.
In many cases we are talking about a person with a perverted will and deformed conscience, trying to fight an evil that is more powerful than him.

(we are admitting that grave evil is at work here, right?, and if the evil were not more powerful than the individual, the individual would not be succumbing to the evil, right? That's why we need The Cross, right?).

When a person has been enslaved to lust, this "willpower" strategy is a pointless and destructive exercise and causes a person to become trapped in a vicious cycle of temptation, sinning, shame, despair, new resolutions, renewed effort, temptation, etc... This is why posters are objecting to the simplistic "suck it up and stop sinning" advice. It is not that simple, or we would all be sinless, eh? Heaping more of a person's deformed willpower on a problem does not sound like a wise thing, does it?

If a person is stuck in an addiction or habitual sin, the individual needs to swallow the pride and admit that his spiritual makeup is not sufficient to just "suck it up and fight off" temptation like the saints did. We Catholics fortunately have an alternative for that, called conversion to Jesus Christ, in whom rests the power to deal with temptation. It is a long and difficult process that requires a person to surrender his ill-formed will and conscience and be conformed to Christ. Sin comes from the inside, that's where the battle lies.

For some posters, keep in mind that hammering home how sinful habitual actions are is likely to get you a blank stare and a "no kidding Sherlock, tell me something I don't know". It's counterproductive and might even be sinful itself, considering that it may further beat down a person, when being beaten down is part of what contributes to the sinful lifestyle.
Old Sep 19, '13, 9:31 am
Trial Membership

Quote:

I understand exactly what you are saying about trying to wrap one's head around it - it is quite hard! I did read a priest's reply on another thread that the sin had more to do with the fantasies that contextualise masturbation that the latter per se. On reflection it has to be the insidious fantasies that are ultimately damaging as they can come to dominate people, develop dangerously and provide opportunities for theologically bad entities to enter. In the end, until it isn't, it is a grave sin despite the admissible health benefts.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology