Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Sep 16, '13, 8:21 pm
TheHolyGhost TheHolyGhost is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 4, 2013
Posts: 207
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default I feel despair.

Or at this very moment the temptation to despair.

Ive been dealing with an ongoing temptation for a little over a year until just a few weeks ago it really intensified and I crumbled and gave in. I kept asking God to remove thw te.ptation the whole time because I knew sooner or later Id give in and also because Id had been falling a lot due to the tenptations too. The temptations were at work and I dealt with them every day. I felt my will being weakened and I felt mad at God in some way yet I wanted to still do what God wanted, but I let Him down.

I started to feel like a brand new person in Christ, and felt my old selfish self slowly dying. But after this it feels like that new person I was becoming has been lost once again.

In a way I feel relieved that the temptations are now over but knowing more about the faith and even at times feeling Gods presence with me in my life, I feel just that much more horrible for having.mortally sinned this way, because I was not ignorant.

I plan to go to Confession this week, but I feel depressed. Will God love me again even though I hurt Him knowing full well the consequences with multiple chances to escape even during the steps i took toward sin?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Sep 16, '13, 9:47 pm
Oren's Avatar
Oren Oren is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2004
Posts: 735
Default Re: I feel despair.

Here's a quote: Be ashamed when you sin, not when you repent.

Temptations are life-long things for the most part. Falling is also a part of it. I've had temptations that I've been able to avoid for long periods, but they come back eventually and I fall again. I'm not ignorant either and I do these things willfully, so I know how you feel in that regard. Focusing on failure isn't going to get you anywhere though. Focus on Jesus instead and try to forget yourself (including your past failures).
__________________
"Materialists and madmen never have doubts." ~G.K. Chesterton in Orthodoxy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Sep 16, '13, 10:06 pm
R_C's Avatar
R_C R_C is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 13, 2012
Posts: 4,717
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGhost View Post
Will God love me again
Again?

Do you consider that at some point God loved you less or stopped loving you altogether?

"Deus caritas est! " "God is love!"

And "God proved his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." It is written: "We love, because He loved us first". It is also written: "I have loved you with an everlasting love [...] I will not forsake you! Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands".

What have you to fear? Listen to the wisdom of the blessed apostle Paul:

Quote:
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst.

But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. [...]

I was given a thorn in the flesh, a messenger from Satan to batter me and prevent me from getting above myself. About this, I have three times pleaded with the Lord that it might leave me; but he has answered me, 'My grace is enough for you: for power is at full stretch in weakness.'

It is, then, about my weaknesses that I am happiest of all to boast, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me;and that is why I am glad of weaknesses, insults, constraints, persecutions and distress for Christ's sake. For it is when I am weak that I am strong. [...]

[G]ive thanks always for all things, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to God and the Father [...]

[T]hose who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God [...] And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [...] Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. [...] In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. [...] And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him [...]

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [...] I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Confess your sin, and leave your sin behind you. Do not be a hostage of your past sin, but be a free man in Christ, who is the same yesterday, today, and forever: the Holy One.

A good book worth reading, and a favorite of St. Francis de Sales: "The Spiritual Combat" by Dom Scupoli.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Sep 16, '13, 10:18 pm
Skyhighblue34's Avatar
Skyhighblue34 Skyhighblue34 is offline
Junior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: March 3, 2013
Posts: 382
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Try not to let them get you down. The last thing you want is to feel so sorry that you give up... God's mercy is limitless and he sees your honest attempts. He will not hold it against you, just keep relying on Him. Being in a state of mortal sin isn't fun though... One thing that brightened me up was learning that when God forgives you of your sins, he looks the other way and forgets that you ever did them. And so should we. What's done is done, and dwelling on the past won't help you get over it. Be like God and forget about it. After confession of course. Maybe try finding a prayer that will help you? Most people would recommend the Rosary with all its benefits. And it certainly does help. So keep at it! Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Sep 16, '13, 11:32 pm
TheHolyGhost TheHolyGhost is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 4, 2013
Posts: 207
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

I am reminded everyday of my sin because I work with the person I have sinned with. I feel.bad for affirming their lifestyle of sin and for the other people who saw my interaction that could have potentially been scandalized by.

I wanted to commit myself to the Rosary everyday but now I feel like I cant do it because I feel like a hypocrite. I want to pray for this person who I have sinned with. I want to strive for purity of heart again. I want to continue being that new person in Christ but I feel like Im.back at square one again.

How can I be free when Im reminded every day?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Sep 17, '13, 12:21 am
R_C's Avatar
R_C R_C is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 13, 2012
Posts: 4,717
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGhost View Post
I wanted to commit myself to the Rosary everyday but now I feel like I cant do it because I feel like a hypocrite. [....] How can I be free when Im reminded every day?
You speak words of divine inspiration, for the Psalmist also wrote:

Quote:
All day long my disgrace is before me,
and shame has covered my face
"If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

This is what the Lord God has spoken:

Quote:
Fear not, for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame.For thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth
"Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals."

It is written concerning hypocrites: "This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me". But if you love God, where is your hypocrisy? And if you treasure Christ, is it not also written: "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also"? If your heart is in Christ, you are no hypocrite, but redeemed.

"By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one for another."

"We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other."

The word of the Holy Spirit through the prophet Samuel:

Quote:
Fear not, you have done all this evil: but yet depart not from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart.
The word of the Lord to the prophet Isaiah:

Quote:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!

Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?

I am making a way in the wilderness

you have burdened me with your sins and wearied me with your offenses.

I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and your sins I will remember no more!
The song of the Spirit through the Psalmist:

Quote:
Since he clings to me in love I will free him;
Protect him for he knows my name.

When he calls, I will answer, ‘I am with you.’
I will save him in distress and give him glory.

With length of life I will content him.
I shall let him see my saving power.
Pray, pray constantly, and give up all fear. Confess your sin, and rejoice at the words of the One who is Savior:

Your sins, which are many, are forgiven, for you have loved much.
I do not condemn you: go, and sin no more.
For I have not come to call the righteous
but sinners to repentance.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Sep 17, '13, 1:57 am
Lasting faith's Avatar
Lasting faith Lasting faith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 7, 2013
Posts: 994
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

God love you and He will forgive you. You must forgive your self, that is important thing. We all sin, or at least I do, but when we fall we fall in the hands of God, not deeper. So what ever you have done, confess, you will feel better.
__________________
If you say yes to Christ you say no to the Devil.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Sep 17, '13, 4:59 am
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,485
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGhost View Post
Or at this very moment the temptation to despair.

Ive been dealing with an ongoing temptation for a little over a year until just a few weeks ago it really intensified and I crumbled and gave in. I kept asking God to remove thw te.ptation the whole time because I knew sooner or later Id give in and also because Id had been falling a lot due to the tenptations too. The temptations were at work and I dealt with them every day. I felt my will being weakened and I felt mad at God in some way yet I wanted to still do what God wanted, but I let Him down.

I started to feel like a brand new person in Christ, and felt my old selfish self slowly dying. But after this it feels like that new person I was becoming has been lost once again.

In a way I feel relieved that the temptations are now over but knowing more about the faith and even at times feeling Gods presence with me in my life, I feel just that much more horrible for having.mortally sinned this way, because I was not ignorant.

I plan to go to Confession this week, but I feel depressed. Will God love me again even though I hurt Him knowing full well the consequences with multiple chances to escape even during the steps i took toward sin?
Despair is a sin but depression is not a sin.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Sep 17, '13, 6:22 am
Lasting faith's Avatar
Lasting faith Lasting faith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 7, 2013
Posts: 994
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Despair is a sin but depression is not a sin.
Educate me please, how can despair be a sin?
__________________
If you say yes to Christ you say no to the Devil.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Sep 17, '13, 7:12 am
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,485
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasting faith View Post
Educate me please, how can despair be a sin?
CCC 2091 The first commandment is also concerned with sins against hope, namely, despair and presumption:
By despair, man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins. Despair is contrary to God's goodness, to his justice - for the Lord is faithful to his promises - and to his mercy.


Father John Hardon's Modern Catholic Dictionary:

DESPAIR. The sin by which a person gives up all hope of salvation or of the means necessary to reach heaven. It is therefore not mere anxiety about the future or fear that one may be lost. It is rather a deliberate yielding to the idea that human nature cannot co-operate with God's grace, or that the despairing person is too wicked to be saved, or that God has cast one away. It is a grave crime against God's goodness. Experience also shows that a tendency to despair can seriously injure one's physical and mental health, and ironically can lead to all kinds of sinful indulgence. (Etym. Latin de, the opposite of + sperare, to hope: desperatio, hopelessness, despair.)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Sep 17, '13, 7:36 am
Contra Mundum's Avatar
Contra Mundum Contra Mundum is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 18, 2009
Posts: 5,097
Religion: Catholic, latin rite
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGhost View Post
I started to feel like a brand new person in Christ, and felt my old selfish self slowly dying. But after this it feels like that new person I was becoming has been lost once again.
I think the emphasis should be on the old self slowly dying. It takes time.

This new person has not been lost. You are not back at the beginning. Our life is a process of conversion. We are never truly done with it. This new person will only be fully transformed in Heaven. Until then we are all work in progress.

OK, you fell, but you will pick yourself up again, go to confession and strive to sin no more. If you fall again, you do the same. And repeat.

As long as you don't despair and give up you are changing into this new person.

As for being reminded of your sin because of your co-worker daily presence in your life, try to accept this shame you are feeling as penance, and pray for them. It might feel really awkward at first, but you'll get over it. And praying for this person could prevent you from sinning with them again. Or anyone else for that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Sep 17, '13, 7:48 am
Michael Mayo's Avatar
Michael Mayo Michael Mayo is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 7, 2012
Posts: 2,269
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGhost View Post
I am reminded everyday of my sin because I work with the person I have sinned with. I feel.bad for affirming their lifestyle of sin and for the other people who saw my interaction that could have potentially been scandalized by.

I wanted to commit myself to the Rosary everyday but now I feel like I cant do it because I feel like a hypocrite. I want to pray for this person who I have sinned with. I want to strive for purity of heart again. I want to continue being that new person in Christ but I feel like Im.back at square one again.

How can I be free when Im reminded every day?
The reminder will keep you humble. There is nothing wrong with square one. It is a holy place if you are headed the right direction. It is the place of new beginings, fresh starts.
__________________


“Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love,
yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you.
I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace”.
- Pope Francis

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Sep 17, '13, 8:59 am
fred conty fred conty is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 15, 2010
Posts: 5,738
Religion: catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGhost View Post
Or at this very moment the temptation to despair.

Ive been dealing with an ongoing temptation for a little over a year until just a few weeks ago it really intensified and I crumbled and gave in. I kept asking God to remove thw te.ptation the whole time because I knew sooner or later Id give in and also because Id had been falling a lot due to the tenptations too. The temptations were at work and I dealt with them every day. I felt my will being weakened and I felt mad at God in some way yet I wanted to still do what God wanted, but I let Him down.

I started to feel like a brand new person in Christ, and felt my old selfish self slowly dying. But after this it feels like that new person I was becoming has been lost once again.

In a way I feel relieved that the temptations are now over but knowing more about the faith and even at times feeling Gods presence with me in my life, I feel just that much more horrible for having.mortally sinned this way, because I was not ignorant.

I plan to go to Confession this week, but I feel depressed. Will God love me again even though I hurt Him knowing full well the consequences with multiple chances to escape even during the steps i took toward sin?
During the Easter Services, somewhere in the divine liturgy it say "O wonderful sin" referring to the sin of Adam and Eve. It says this because it was precisesly this sin that Mary gave the world Jesus, and without the sin the world would not have had him.

Even in this a sin, an evil, God uses to bring about a good for us. It brought us the gift of Jesus himself.

In any sin, if we understand that it can be used as a means of bringing us closer to him, then we can profit from even this. It can bring us closer by our appreciation and the love that he shows us.

May God bless and keep you. May God's face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Sep 18, '13, 1:29 am
Lasting faith's Avatar
Lasting faith Lasting faith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 7, 2013
Posts: 994
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
CCC 2091 The first commandment is also concerned with sins against hope, namely, despair and presumption:
By despair, man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins. Despair is contrary to God's goodness, to his justice - for the Lord is faithful to his promises - and to his mercy.


Father John Hardon's Modern Catholic Dictionary:

DESPAIR. The sin by which a person gives up all hope of salvation or of the means necessary to reach heaven. It is therefore not mere anxiety about the future or fear that one may be lost. It is rather a deliberate yielding to the idea that human nature cannot co-operate with God's grace, or that the despairing person is too wicked to be saved, or that God has cast one away. It is a grave crime against God's goodness. Experience also shows that a tendency to despair can seriously injure one's physical and mental health, and ironically can lead to all kinds of sinful indulgence. (Etym. Latin de, the opposite of + sperare, to hope: desperatio, hopelessness, despair.)
Far away from the topic, but, isn't it so that we try God's patience if we don't feel despair? I mean, if I am standing on the edge of a high mountain and I have two choises, one is to jump thinking that God will make sure I will not get hurt or to stay and wait for some guys chasing me and most likely will kill me, but thinking God will save me so I just wait. I must obey The Church, and I do so and have very little problems with that, but if despair is a sin I need to confess ASAP.
__________________
If you say yes to Christ you say no to the Devil.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Sep 18, '13, 4:04 am
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,485
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I feel despair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasting faith View Post
Far away from the topic, but, isn't it so that we try God's patience if we don't feel despair? I mean, if I am standing on the edge of a high mountain and I have two choises, one is to jump thinking that God will make sure I will not get hurt or to stay and wait for some guys chasing me and most likely will kill me, but thinking God will save me so I just wait. I must obey The Church, and I do so and have very little problems with that, but if despair is a sin I need to confess ASAP.
Who am I to question the Church teachings? I know the Church is right because Christ gave it authority in matters of faith and morals. You asked me to show you how despair can be a sin. I showed you the Church teaching.
I doubt if you are in despair because despair would mean you wouldn't even think about going to Confession.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8569Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5241CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3896Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3464Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3171For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: eschator83



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:35 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.