Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 19, '13, 2:45 pm
Banned

Religion: deist/atheist.
Default Scary vision of Hell by Sister Faustina

www.divinemercysunday.com/vision.htm

Is this vision supposed to be taken literally?

Do you think her vision and personal testimony is enough for skeptics, so they don't find any excuse against the existence of Hell?

If sister Faustina is right that most of those in Hell are disbelievers, that means the majority of believers are going to Heaven or to purgatory, that's a good news for believers.
Old Sep 19, '13, 3:59 pm

Default Re: Scary vision of Hell by Sister Faustina

The book 23 minutes in hell basically backs up all that she is saying. It was a enlightening book and my husband and I couldn't put it down. Very short read. Scary stuff. We gave to some people to read but non believers just poo pooed it. Hopefully at some point they will remember something from it that they might change their lives in one way or another.
Old Sep 19, '13, 4:12 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibralAteoJesus View Post

Do you think her vision and personal testimony is enough for skeptics, so they don't find any excuse against the existence of Hell?

If sister Faustina is right that most of those in Hell are disbelievers, that means the majority of believers are going to Heaven or to purgatory, that's a good news for believers.
One does not believe in hell because St Faustina had a vision. One believes in hell because it has been revealed to us by God, in Holy Scripture. St. Faustina's vision is a private revelation, and not to be taken more seriously than the Word of God.

It doesn't take a vision to believe that the majority of those in hell are unbelievers. That's why they are in hell, and Jesus Himself said that.

I personally think one should be familiar with the Word of God and what it contains before anything or anyone else, and base their beliefs on that. And I make no apologies for that.
Old Sep 19, '13, 4:37 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic ^.^ (Easter Vigil, 2014)

Personal revelation is a gift from God to reinforce ones own life and perhaps to serve as a testimony to other believers. If an unbeliever is already in denial over the weight of prophecy, scripture, and the continual guidance of of the apostles through the Holy Spirit, then it's unlikely they are going to believe personal revelation.

Sister Faustina's vision adds relatively little more to what is already known. Hell is eternal and with it comes everlasting sorrow, pain, darkness, and separation from God. I believe the knowledge of Hell was revealed to help further motivate believers into edification, not to pull the damned away from it. God has already foreknown their doom, and compulsion will not fix their heart.

Ben Sira 20: 4
Like a eunuch lusting to violate a young woman
is the one who does right under compulsion.
Old Sep 19, '13, 5:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic revert

Quote:
Not necessarily...see: http://www.romancatholicism.org/jans...rs-fewness.htm
Old Sep 19, '13, 5:38 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

Only if you are baptised, inside the Catholic Church, and die in a state of grace will you be saved.
Old Sep 19, '13, 5:41 pm

Quote:
Do you think her vision and personal testimony is enough for skeptics, so they don't find any excuse against the existence of Hell?.
"For those who believe, no proof is necessary For those who don't believe, no proof is possible". Stuart Chase.
Old Sep 19, '13, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Do you think her vision and personal testimony is enough for skeptics, so they don't find any excuse against the existence of Hell?.
John 10:25

25 Jesus replied: I have told you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father's name are my witness;

26 but you do not believe, because you are no sheep of mine.

27 The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me.

http://www.catholic.org/bible/book.p...apter=10&id=50
Old Sep 19, '13, 6:40 pm

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Only if you are baptised, inside the Catholic Church, and die in a state of grace will you be saved.
But the Catechism of the Catholic Church seems to say that Orthodox and Protestants should be all right.

Let us experience a Coptic Orthodox Gospel proclamation.

Pray for the world's persecuted Christians.
Old Sep 19, '13, 7:18 pm

Believing is not enough; we must persevere in charity.
Old Sep 19, '13, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
But the Catechism of the Catholic Church seems to say that Orthodox and Protestants should be all right.
"Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it. "
(CCC 846)

The EO catechism has something similar.

"Some truths are so obvious only experts can deny them."
-C.S. Lewis

http://www.CredoBibleStudy.com/
Old Sep 19, '13, 9:40 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
It does not. Show me where it says that.
The Church does not specify which individuals or groups might be captured under invincible ignorance because it doesn't know.
Old Sep 20, '13, 12:21 am
Banned

Religion: deist/atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearWater View Post
"For those who believe, no proof is necessary For those who don't believe, no proof is possible". Stuart Chase.
Not a proof when anyone is able to provide different and contrary personal testimonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Catholic View Post
One does not believe in hell because St Faustina had a vision. One believes in hell because it has been revealed to us by God, in Holy Scripture. St. Faustina's vision is a private revelation, and not to be taken more seriously than the Word of God.

It doesn't take a vision to believe that the majority of those in hell are unbelievers. That's why they are in hell, and Jesus Himself said that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearWater View Post
In this vision, most of them are disbelievers in Hell, it includes people of other faiths who believe in a god but not in Hell? Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, Jehovah's witnesses...
Old Sep 20, '13, 5:21 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:

On occasions, people do have faith that needs support from others. That is one of the nice features of CAF, that others can shore up and encourage a person to hold the line and continue in their faith. People experience a shakey time and it is consoling to hear from others.

St. Faustina is doing this very same thing for some. It may be that hearing it from a saint who actually had an experience makes the faith a little more solid and real. Testimony tends to have this effect.

Tho some may not need strengthening, others do. A private revelation does this for some.
And being an approved accounting, it does help. For others, nothing. So for the sake of some, it is a good thing.

Here is another person who speaks of what a private revelation did for them.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=545162
I grew up in a family that didn't go to church or know God. I often heard family members say that if God were real, why doesn't he do stuff like parting of the sea in the 10 Commandments? Where did He go after that? It's all stories, make belief. (My only catechism was Christmas carols at Christmas time. How I wish they would be played now instead of Santa Claus and Rudolf!)

One day a Catholic loaned me his book on Fatima. The miracle of the sun, told by the children before the event, was as good as the Red Sea parting long ago. Better even. It changed my life. I saw in that book that God did and does exist, He exists today, and He wants me to be close to him. What Good News!
Old Sep 20, '13, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
You are a fool! With ideas that only Catholics are In heaven you might be careful with the way you are judging others. What about Moses, Elijah? They were not Catholic.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality