Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 20, '13, 7:14 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (newbie)
Default Praying with distractions?

I came across an examination of conscience that asks if I have focused on prayer, or if I have said prayers with deliberate distractions instead.

I like to pray the Rosary on my fingers while I'm mowing (I maintain lawns and gardens for a living). It's "brainless" work and I can spend a lot of time thinking about other things while I'm doing it. Is it a deliberate distraction to do so, or are "distractions" more like internet or other things that are attractive and take a lot of my attention?

Thanks!
“...one cannot arrive at Bethlehem by skipping over Jerusalem, or rather, without taking into account what the Scriptures say. The star–in the heavens and in one’s heart–confirms that the Messiah is born, but where and why are revealed by the prophets.”
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Sep 20, '13, 8:20 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite
Default Re: Praying with distractions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryMonday View Post
I came across an examination of conscience that asks if I have focused on prayer, or if I have said prayers with deliberate distractions instead.

I like to pray the Rosary on my fingers while I'm mowing (I maintain lawns and gardens for a living). It's "brainless" work and I can spend a lot of time thinking about other things while I'm doing it. Is it a deliberate distraction to do so, or are "distractions" more like internet or other things that are attractive and take a lot of my attention?

Thanks!
I don't think there is anything wrong with reciting the Rosary while mowing the lawn. However, "distractions" are things which divert one's focus, not just attention. Praying the Rosary while mowing the lawn may not be a distraction for you, but may very well be for many others. However, I think you can still recite the Rosary while mowing the lawn, I would still recommend that you also pray the Rosary (or another prayer) while in a quiet place too. Try to make sure "lawn mower time" isn't the only time you pray

BTW - personally, I could never do it unless I was mowing a huge field or something (otherwise, I might run over a flowerbed)
Old Sep 20, '13, 9:03 am

Religion: Catholic Convert

I find that walking and praying the Rosary helps me maintain focus. If I stay in my room and pray it quite often something interrupts me. I take a rosary with me when I walk. If you can maintain focus then don't worry about it. You aren't required to pray the Rosary anyway.
Old Sep 20, '13, 9:55 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:

Thanks!
You're doing it right. Jesus knows you are working and that not to pray would be easier for you. You have chosen what the sister of Martha chose, to curl up at the feet of Jesus and keep him company. He appreciates that, and the distractions just come with the territory. And remember the poor souls and especially the poor sinners.

May God bless and keep you. May God's face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
Old Sep 20, '13, 10:32 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I think that what you are doing is fine, as long as you are truly focusing on the Holy Mysteries. May God bless you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	18335  
Old Sep 20, '13, 11:05 am

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic Christian

Quote:

Thanks!
As long as you are not intentionally being distracted, you are fine. If you get distracted while mowing the lawn, that is an unintentional distraction. Deliberate distractions is when you choose let yourself be distracted or choose to only give God times that you know are distracting. For example: one may choose to pray with the TV on knowing that he will want to watch it even though he could turn it off or go into another room.

In the East, each person has a rule of prayer that he prays each day. I pray my rule of prayer in the quiet of my room. I can pray any additional (above and beyond) prayers even if I am slightly distracted because I am not subtracting quality from my minimal prayer time with God.

I hope that I am clear. Try not to be distracted with your minimum prayer time with God. Extra prayer, even when distracted, is a good thing.
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite
Old Sep 20, '13, 11:18 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (newbie)

Thanks, everyone!
“...one cannot arrive at Bethlehem by skipping over Jerusalem, or rather, without taking into account what the Scriptures say. The star–in the heavens and in one’s heart–confirms that the Messiah is born, but where and why are revealed by the prophets.”
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality