Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 21, '13, 6:27 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Major theological differences between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches

I've been reading about the Eastern Orthodox Church and can find little difference in doctrine either than the teaching of the immaculate conception and the question of whether the Holy Spirit emanates from god the father or the son. There is also the question of papal infallibility. Is this it, or is there more I've missed?

In the ever growing destructive exchanges between extreme liberal and conservative Roman Catholics, the Eastern Orthodox Church seems to be beckoning me as a sea of tranquility. Am I mistaken as seeing the Orthodox Church as basically united on doctrine?
Old Sep 21, '13, 6:39 am
Banned

Religion: Greek Orthodox
Default Re: Major theological differences between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen52 View Post
I've been reading about the Eastern Orthodox Church and can find little difference in doctrine either than the teaching of the immaculate conception and the question of whether the Holy Spirit emanates from god the father or the son. There is also the question of papal infallibility. Is this it, or is there more I've missed?

In the ever growing destructive exchanges between extreme liberal and conservative Roman Catholics, the Eastern Orthodox Church seems to be beckoning me as a sea of tranquility. Am I mistaken as seeing the Orthodox Church as basically united on doctrine?
Hello.

I would recommend that you take the time to pray on this. Don't let your head get spun up on doctrinal controversies. An internet forum can help you find some information, but there is a lot of back and forth which can cause an inquirer (of any faith) to be twisted in knots.

I would recommend that you attend a Divine Liturgy at your nearest Orthodox Church. Talk to a priest....but I would also say that you should talk to your own Latin Priest and really discern where it is you want to go. God be with you in your discernment.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:04 am

Default Re: Major theological differences between Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Book View Post
Hello.

I would recommend that you take the time to pray on this. Don't let your head get spun up on doctrinal controversies. An internet forum can help you find some information, but there is a lot of back and forth which can cause an inquirer (of any faith) to be twisted in knots.

I would recommend that you attend a Divine Liturgy at your nearest Orthodox Church. Talk to a priest....but I would also say that you should talk to your own Latin Priest and really discern where it is you want to go. God be with you in your discernment.
Thank you, words of wisdom.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:12 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

I would encourage you to stay in the Catholic Church.The Church has always suffered persecution, but has survived. Do not leave the Church because a few people do not accept the Church's teachings. Talk to your pastor.

Satan is tempting you. Do not fall to his temptations. The Catholic Church is the One, True, Church.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:16 am

Quote:

First I would say go where God is leading you but don't repent in leisure. One of my friends is Russian Orthodox, I find her first very anti catholic, until I told her I am not anti Orthodox so why was she anti Catholic, they seem to have a thing about the Catholic Church.

What you said on the differences are correct, but unfortunately they are a bit like the Protestants, there are different branches and not any two are connected to each other, for example, the Russian Orthodox, are not united with the Greek/Serbian or any other Orthodox nor they with the Russian Orthodox, they don't have any clear up to date doctrine, for instance I asked my friend what is the stand from the Orthodox on abortion/contraception/going to Liturgy etc, there is none. There teachings have not kept up with modern times. One Orthodox might not recognize another Orthodox Church, they are divided among themselves. To me this is like all the different Protestant denominations, plus they don't like one another. I am a Convert to the Catholic Church from the Jewish Religion, and I see the Orthodox like the Jewish Religion with Progressive/Orthdox/ultra Orthodox/Messiah Jews/ the list goes on a house divided. No thanks, not for me.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:19 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Maiden View Post
First I would say go where God is leading you but don't repent in leisure. One of my friends is Russian Orthodox, I find her first very anti catholic, until I told her I am not anti Orthodox so why was she anti Catholic, they seem to have a thing about the Catholic Church.

What you said on the differences are correct, but unfortunately they are a bit like the Protestants, there are different branches and not any two are connected to each other, for example, the Russian Orthodox, are not united with the Greek/Serbian or any other Orthodox nor they with the Russian Orthodox, they don't have any clear up to date doctrine, for instance I asked my friend what is the stand from the Orthodox on abortion/contraception/going to Liturgy etc, there is none. There teachings have not kept up with modern times. One Orthodox might not recognize another Orthodox Church, they are divided among themselves. To me this is like all the different Protestant denominations, plus they don't like one another. I am a Convert to the Catholic Church from the Jewish Religion, and I see the Orthodox like the Jewish Religion with Progressive/Orthdox/ultra Orthodox/Messiah Jews/ the list goes on a house divided. No thanks, not for me.
God leads everyone to the Catholic Church.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:28 am
Banned

Quote:

This is not accurate information. We are not like "the Protestants" (which in itself is a multi faceted thing), secondly we are quite united in Faith. At my Greek Orthodox Cathedral we had a Russian Orthodox Bishop con-celebrate Divine Liturgy. I could fly to Moscow, Serbia or Georgia tomorrow and present myself to the priest for confession...and take Holy Communion. We don't like each other? That is news to me....I just had some delicious Liver pie that was made by the wife of the Ukrainian priest here the other day. I ask for his blessing just as surely as I ask for it from my own priest.

As for "up to date"....I am not sure what you mean. We have a stance on these issues, and you can find them on the official website of the Greek, Antiochian and Russian Church Abroad websites....the OCA (Orthodox Church in America) is also a good resource.

I post this not to attack you, as I believe this post was made in genuine ignorance and not out of malice.

To the OP: Please seek out the right information, and pray about it...don't take my word for it, go and see for yourself.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:40 am

Origen52,

Which "Orthodox Church" are you going to join?

There are the separated bodies associated with Constantinople (Greek, Russian, etc), which recognize seven Councils; some in communion with Bartholomew I and some not. With respect, I do not think it is one Church, nor a sea of tranquility. True, they didn't undergo the same upheaval we underwent in the late 20th century, and thus don't have the same crisis; but they've had their own upheavals of a different nature. Caesaropapism is one of the issues involved, not to mention jurisdictional conflicts and disputes over what constitutes "Orthodoxy."

Then there are the so-called Non-Chalcedonians (Coptics, Ethiopians, Armenians, etc) who recognize only three ecumenical Councils; and the separated Assyrians who recognize but two.

On what grounds will you decide which body or federation of bodies is the true Church? Because it brings relief to the crises in the Church you are in? -- only to be replaced by other crises.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Orientem View Post
Which "Orthodox Church" are you going to join?

There are the separated bodies associated with Constantinople (Greek, Russian, etc), which recognize seven Councils; some in communion with Bartholomew I and some not. With respect, I do not think it is one Church, nor a sea of tranquility. True, they didn't undergo the same upheaval we underwent in the late 20th century, and thus don't have the same crisis; but they've had their own upheavals of a different nature. Caesaropapism is one of the issues involved, not to mention jurisdictional conflicts and disputes over what constitutes "Orthodoxy."

Then there are the so-called Non-Chalcedonians (Coptics, Ethiopians, Armenians, etc) who recognize only three ecumenical Councils; and the separated Assyrians who recognize but two.

On what grounds will you decide which one is the true Church? Because it brings relief to the crises in the Church you are in? -- only to be replaced by other crises.
There is only one Orthodox Church, and it is rather unfair to bring up the Old Believers and Old Calendarist schisms when I could just as easily bring up the Old Catholics, SSPX, the Polish National Church, Roman Catholic Womenpriests, etc etc...) Does that mean that your Church has no unity? You would assert that this isn't the case.

As for the Oriental Orthodox and the Assyrians, why bring them up when the Latin Church is just as "implicated" in their separation as we are. I could hurl them at you as well and say "There you see? They aren't united either."

The Jurisdictional Conflicts you mention are an unfortunate result of the collapse of the Russian Empire. Multiple bishops in one area are not a uniquely Orthodox thing....I will point out the "Eastern Catholic" jurisdictions...How many Archbishops of Antioch does your communion have?
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Book View Post
the Latin Church is just as "implicated" in their separation as we are.
In a sense you're right. The salient difference is our divinely instituted center of unity. Without that our situation would be no better than yours if not worse; actually it would be the same situation.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:54 am
Banned

Quote:
In a sense you're right. The salient difference is our divinely instituted center of unity. Without that our situation would be no better than yours if not worse; actually it would be the same situation.

The Eucharist is the divinely instituted center of unity. No Patriarch or Bishop is superior to that.

Our Faith endures, Our Communion continues....as it always has.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:57 am

Again, in a sense you're right. But if having the Eucharist alone were sufficient to make one body, we would not be having this disagreement. Sigh, I do sincerely wish we were one.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:57 am

Quote:

Here are the biggest differences:
  • The Orthodox deny papal infallibility and supremacy
  • They deny that the saints and angels see the Beatific Vision
  • They permit contraception
  • They permit divorce and remarriage (you can divorce twice before you have to stick with someone)
  • They deny the Immaculate Conception
  • They deny the Filioque
  • They deny the doctrine of original sin
  • They deny purgatory
The things on that list are very important and if you knowingly reject the Catholic teaching on those things you put yourself in a state of mortal sin. So don't convert to Orthodoxy. But toward the bottom of that list you see things that are on the border between being "different doctrine" and "different emphasis." For example, although the Orthodox say that they deny original sin, they do believe that human nature is weak in fighting temptation and is headed toward death, and that this is a result of Adam and Eve's fall. To me, that's all the doctrine of original sin says. (Look it up in the Catechism.) The Orthodox also deny purgatory, but they do believe that some of the dead are somehow waiting to get to heaven, and our prayers can help them in that in-between state. I wonder if that isn't similar enough to our belief to qualify as being a purgatorial state. But classic Orthodox apologists deny that it is. On the other side of the "different emphasis" border there are these things:
  • There is the essence/energies debate.
This one is difficult to get our heads around in modern times because it's fallen out of discussion in Western circles. But God's energies are the substance of His actions. Grace is a divine energy; it flows from God into His creatures. The Orthodox say that God's energies are really distinct from God's substance, but they are still uncreated and eternal. Classically, Catholic apologists have argued that this idea constitutes heresy because if you have any real thing that exists eternally alongside God, you have multiple eternal beings, which is polytheistic even if the things are impersonal beings like energies. So Catholics have historically said that God's energies are just extensions of His own being. For example, when God pours grace into your heart, He pours Himself into your heart. So there's a difference about whether God's energies are extensions of His own essence or not.
  • There is a difference about whether the Old Testament should be translated from the original Hebrew or the Greek Septuagint.
Catholics value going to the original languages in our Bible translations. The Orthodox love the Greek Septuagint translation of the Old Testament, which is fine, but they often seem to like it so much that they prefer the translation over the originals, similar to KJV-onlyism but more ancient. I have seen Orthodox prayer books that explicitly reject Old Testament translations from the Hebrew and claim that Orthodox should only use the Greek Septuagint (or a translation of that) for the Old Testament. I don't think the Church would demand that they adopt the Hebrew Old Testament if the Orthodox wanted to come back into union with the Church; but it is a little weird.

There are a few other different points of emphasis like the Orthodox not liking Aristotelian philosophy and not accepting the idea that doctrine can develop over time a la Cardinal Newman's theory of doctrinal development. But faithful Catholics can disagree about those things too, so I don't think they make that big of a difference. The major ones I think I've mentioned by now.

Last edited by dmar198; Sep 21, '13 at 9:13 am.
Old Sep 21, '13, 9:43 am

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
No, not in a sense. They separated from you just as they separated from us. The Assyrians who you bring up don't even call themselves Orthodox, so I'm not sure why you throw them at us - especially since the Catholic Church teaches that we all believe the exact same thing (and yet you still have schism between you).

No, if anything this makes your schism worse. You believe it is over nothing, we believe there are serious issues.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Sep 21, '13, 9:50 am

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
When talking about people being "anti" something, it is important you define what you mean. I've heard people on this forum call others anti-Catholic just for disagreeing with the Catholic Church (by that measure every non-Catholic is anti-Catholic, just as every non-Orthodox person is anti-Orthodox).

There is also the danger of seeing ignorance on the subject of the other church as being "anti". Some of the posters in this thread are making statements that seem very anti-Orthodox, however I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it is just ignorance. I find Westerners have a very hard time understanding Eastern Christianity, often because they want to view it through the Latin framework (which doesn't work), you can see that in some of the comments here as well.

Sorry, it is just a pet-peeve of mine.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions