Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 21, '13, 10:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Evangelical Covenant Church

How pro-life is the denomination? Does it oppose same-sex "marriage" and artificial contraception?
Old Sep 21, '13, 11:06 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Evangelical Covenant Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxirad View Post
How pro-life is the denomination? Does it oppose same-sex "marriage" and artificial contraception?
Is this a corner building, a regional presence, or some form of national or international organization?
Old Sep 21, '13, 11:08 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
Is this a corner building, a regional presence, or some form of national or international organization?
http://www.covchurch.org/

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Sep 21, '13, 11:11 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
From there website (easily found by a Google search, BTW )

Quote:
We deplore the use of abortion as an alternative to abstinence or, within the covenant of marriage, other appropriate contraceptive measures. We affirm women who continue their pregnancies to full term despite personal hardship, distress, suffering, and even the risk of death. We affirm and encourage women who choose to place their newborn infants for adoption, preferably through Christian placement agencies. We believe abortion to be wrong and grieve whenever an abortion takes place. However, we recognize that in some tragic instances abortion may need to be considered to safeguard the life of the mother. In all cases we urge immediate steps to seek medical and pastoral assistance. Aware of our own frailties and living in an imperfect world, we humbly seek God’s guidance in all matters of sexual behavior, and pregnancy.
http://www.covchurch.org/resolutions/2004-abortion/

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Sep 21, '13, 11:21 am

Religion: Catholic- Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter

I was baptized in that denomination. They are pretty orthodox as far as those issues
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:22 pm

Quote:
However, we recognize that in some tragic instances abortion may need to be considered to safeguard the life of the mother.
This really concerns me. Direct abortion is always intrinsically evil. I remember the case of a nun who was excommunicated a few years back for participating in an abortion performed to save a pregnant woman's life.
Old Sep 21, '13, 8:47 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
My experience has been very positive with them very pro life and fairly catholic friendly

On a number of their local congregation websites they list all the other local Christian churches they agree with links to their websites.

I'm fairly sure they were started by Lutherans that had no Lutheran church near them and needed a church
Old Sep 22, '13, 11:37 am

If the ECC is against all forms of direct abortion, TPTB need to make that clear.
Old Sep 22, '13, 11:41 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
My experience has been very positive with them very pro life and fairly catholic friendly

On a number of their local congregation websites they list all the other local Christian churches they agree with links to their websites.

I'm fairly sure they were started by Lutherans that had no Lutheran church near them and needed a church
Perhaps, as they say they came out of the pietist movement.

Jon
Chemnitz
Old Sep 22, '13, 5:57 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxirad
Quote:

However, we recognize that in some tragic instances abortion may need to be considered to safeguard the life of the mother.

This really concerns me. Direct abortion is always intrinsically evil. I remember the case of a nun who was excommunicated a few years back for participating in an abortion performed to save a pregnant woman's life.
how do you define "direct abortion"? I never heard that term before.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android
Old Sep 22, '13, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretecamper View Post
how do you define "direct abortion"? I never heard that term before.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android
Click on the following link, concretecamper:

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestio...irect-abortion
Old Sep 30, '13, 7:36 am

Uh-oh! Judie Brown of American Life League answered someone's question about the ECC on the EWTN web site. Sorry, but Ms. Brown's response doesn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old Sep 30, '13, 8:51 am

Religion: Pentecostal

Quote:
Uh-oh! Judie Brown of American Life League answered someone's question about the ECC on the EWTN web site. Sorry, but Ms. Brown's response doesn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.
Well, most evangelical Protestants are pro-contraceptive (or at least open to its use between two married people as they judge best in the light of God's word), so you're probably not going to find many evangelicals who go to the position of the Roman Catholic Church on this issue.

As to the actual resolution on abortion, it contains two parts:

1) the statement that abortion is wrong, a rejection of its use as an alternative to abstinence or contraceptive (in the case of a married couple)

and

2) a recognition that in tragic instances abortion "may need to be considered" to save the mother's life; medical and pastoral assistance should be sought in all cases.

While that may be liberal from a Catholic perspective, it is well within the bounds of current evangelical thought.

Relax, stay calm, and no matter what happens don't feed the trolls.
Old Sep 30, '13, 11:42 am

Unhappy I'm distressed!

Sorry, but I'm really feeling distressed about the situation. Michael Voris of St. Michael's Media has said that one cannot truly consider oneself pro-life if one doesn't oppose contraception as well as abortion. CAF members should feel free to send me a private message if they would like to know why I'm particularly distressed.
Old Sep 30, '13, 11:52 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I'm distressed!

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm really feeling distressed about the situation. Michael Voris of St. Michael's Media has said that one cannot truly consider oneself pro-life if one doesn't oppose contraception as well as abortion. CAF members should feel free to send me a private message if they would like to know why I'm particularly distressed.
That is because the early "pill" caused a lot of problems with side effects. The "pill" was then reformulated in that a major component of the contraception is thinning of the wall of the uterus. This is to prevent the attachment of the baby to the wall of the uterus. So, if one believes that life begins at conception, and uses the "pill", that person may indeed have caused an abortion.

You can prevent life by terminating it or causing it not to occur. Either way....it is not pro life.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions