Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 29, '13, 11:59 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default How to pick a patron saint?

Hi everyone, I am still several months away from convertion to the Church (Easter probably), but Im sure that I will convert, no doubt

Even though Im in no hurry to pick my patron Saint, Ive been looking at some lists of Saints and finds it hard to pick one of them that I relate to and its soooooo many Saints to choose from.

How do one pick a patron Saint? I figured that it cant do any harm to pick my patron Saint even before converting, if so please let me know.

I also feel that I have a vocation, possibly to the Fransiscans. Should I keep my vocation in mind when Im looking for a patron Saint? Should I pick St Francis becouse of that?

Any feedback would be greatly appriciated

God Bless!
Old Sep 29, '13, 12:20 pm

Default Re: How to pick a patron saint?

Pick someone you feel you have a connection with! Read up on the lives of the saints that interest you, and one of them will stick out for sure.

I have two patron saints because I couldn't decide on one. I chose St. Joan of Arc because she was a strong, independent woman and leader whose faith was rock solid in the face of death... things that I greatly admire in a person, especially a woman. She was also an equestrian, which is a big part of my life, and I pray to her for saftey and courage while working and riding horses. I also chose St. Francis later in life because I have a deep connection to him and his faith. I have been lucky enough to have spent a lot of time in Assisi and have had life changing spiritual experiences there. I feel like St. Francis is a friend and I pray and talk to him daily for protection and guidance. I also chose him because he is the patron saint of Italy (a place I deeply love and where I will be moving in a few years), loved and respected animals, and valued humility and simplicity.

I have faith that you will find saints that are important to you in similar ways. Have fun choosing!
Old Sep 29, '13, 2:20 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

First of all, welcome home to Rome. Hope your RCIA goes well.

And before picking a saint, sit back a bit and see what a saint is. Saint is believed to be a person of virtue who was in full communion with God, and from that communion, emerged the very person that God designed when the soul was created. With this in mind, look for a saint with the same type of spirituality (if they're down to earth, or more of the mystical-type), their theology (if you base your faith on your feelings of love and conciliate them with God, or if you base them on reason, for isntance) and how they lived their lives.

Let's take me as an example. My name is a Portuguese translation of Peter (Pedro), so my patron saint, by fault, is the Apostle Peter. I felt that every aspect of Peter as described in the Gospel was lived by myself in different ways when I converted ("Get away from me Lord, for I am a sinful man", and I was trying to keep my spiritual high alive as Peter did during the Transfiguration, and I even refused the offer of having my feet washed during the Holy Week), and he easily entailed with me, especially when I felt the need of going out and showing others the wonders of the faith in Jesus.

But, St. Peter isn't alone, as I have a patron saint per se, which I knew after Peter, but it was amazing how much in common we've had theology-wide, and that is St. Thomas Aquinas. We both stood for natural theology (based on reason, to put it short), and his way of thinking about Christ and conciliating Aristotelian philosphy and science (I'm a science type of guy) was so similar to mine, that I started theorizing that they gave me his brain when I was a baby (not trying to call myself as great as Thomas was, but I think you get my point ). We were so similar, that I bought a medal of him which I bring everywhere I go. One key difference I had from him was the force of will to counter lust. But since I have this medal, he's helped me in keeping myself in control (with no real reasonable way of explaining how, but it simply works!). I chose him because he was the expression of who I was turning out to be as a Christian, and I may even feel that I have a vocation to join the Dominicans like he did, they just seem a fit for what I want to do for life!

About the vocation, don't rush about just yet, and but keep your vocational discernment open to any possibility (if you want some quick help about this, watch this and this). You may be in a spiritual high right now and feeling that's the way to go, but you may not even pass the postulate phase. Just slow down!

If you think that the Franciscan spirituality and theology is similar to yours, you might want to look at the saints of the Order. For instance, the saint of the people (he's non-official, but everybody loves him because he was born here) in Lisbon is St. Anthony of Lisbon and Padua. He was an awesome preacher, was really inspiring to many people and even made St. Francis consider on his thoughts on people that were theological scholars like Anthony grew to be, being a canon regular before being a Franciscan. I'd seriously recommend him, his most famous miracle and a legend that everyone learns at school is his preaching to the fish in order to attract the people's attention. I love him and I ask him to pray for me before I go to Mass, and I think you could too!

Good luck choosing a patron saint, and may he bless you and pray for you. I will be praying for you as well for a good RCIA. Welcome home!
and the clouds let drop the dew."
- Book of Proverbs

"God had one son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering." - St. Augustine
Old Sep 29, '13, 4:07 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (newbie)

Did you have any specific difficulties? I identify with St. Therese (the "Little Flower") because she had very sensitive hearing, and little noises were a trial for her. I identify with St. Francis de Sales because he struggled with the idea that he was not Predestined. Maybe you'll come across someone who worried about the same things you did?
“...one cannot arrive at Bethlehem by skipping over Jerusalem, or rather, without taking into account what the Scriptures say. The star–in the heavens and in one’s heart–confirms that the Messiah is born, but where and why are revealed by the prophets.”
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Sep 29, '13, 4:21 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Pick one that...

1) has the same name as you
2) has the same interests as you
3) you feel a connection to
4) you look up to
5) was in a similar situation or lifestyle that you are in

Hope this helps! Also, congrats on entering the Church on Easter

Thank you CuteGirlsHairstyles for everything.

Abortion kills a beating heart every 24 seconds

Dear Jesus, protect all the unborn today and forever. Amen

Old Sep 29, '13, 5:03 pm

My patron saint is Saint Francis of Assisi, which I chose as my Condirmation name and is my actual middle name as well. I have always looked up to him since childhood and have always had him was my patron saint because he was so humble and caring for the poor, had the stigmata, and truly exemplified Christ in all he did. Try to find someone who did the same, which there are a lot of!
"And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20).

Christ is Risen! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Old Sep 29, '13, 8:21 pm

Pray about it; read about the different saints, and find the one you connect to. You may not realize why you are drawn to a saint, and may even be drawn to him or her for different reasons (I chose mine thinking it was because I loved her beautiful name). It may not become apparent to you why you chose that saint for many years, but trust me, if you let Him lead you, it will be the right decision.

Also, you aren't 'stuck' with just your confirmation or patron saint. I think of them as a large group of cousins or aunts and uncles or friends that I can turn to at any time.

God bless you!

(My saint is St. Dymphna, and chose her because I liked her name...or so I thought. Other reasons became more apparent around 10 years later and beyond.)

Christina

*bbhn/bow* Philippians 2:10-11
Please visit my blog: Life is an open book test
Old Sep 30, '13, 8:08 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmcmg View Post
Pray about it; read about the different saints, and find the one you connect to. You may not realize why you are drawn to a saint, and may even be drawn to him or her for different reasons (I chose mine thinking it was because I loved her beautiful name). It may not become apparent to you why you chose that saint for many years, but trust me, if you let Him lead you, it will be the right decision.

Also, you aren't 'stuck' with just your confirmation or patron saint. I think of them as a large group of cousins or aunts and uncles or friends that I can turn to at any time.

God bless you!

(My saint is St. Dymphna, and chose her because I liked her name...or so I thought. Other reasons became more apparent around 10 years later and beyond.)
Yes, Its a great blessing to have so many praying for us in heaven. Patron Saint is just one of many,many Saints praying for Our salvation I didnt think of it like that before you brought it up, Thanks.

One thing I Wonder about is, do I have to choose a male Patron Saint becouse Im a man myself?
Im just curious. It may be that I have a lot in common With a female Saint as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServantPD View Post
First of all, welcome home to Rome. Hope your RCIA goes well.

Good luck choosing a patron saint, and may he bless you and pray for you. I will be praying for you as well for a good RCIA. Welcome home!
Thanks for welcoming me home Im happy for every prayer I can get
God Bless you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdance View Post
Pick one that...

1) has the same name as you
2) has the same interests as you
3) you feel a connection to
4) you look up to
5) was in a similar situation or lifestyle that you are in

Hope this helps! Also, congrats on entering the Church on Easter
Thanks, I look so much forward to it. Its so many months to easter its hard to wait.
And thanks for the feedback everyone God Bless you all for reaching out to help me
Old Sep 30, '13, 10:57 am

Religion: Converting to Roman Catholic

One thing I Wonder about is, do I have to choose a male Patron Saint becouse Im a man myself? I'm just curious. It may be that I have a lot in common With a female Saint as well.

No, you can pick a female saint, just as a woman may pick a male saint.

Many feminine names are diminutives of masculine ones: Petra (Peter), Bernadette (Bernard), Jeanne (Jean = John)
Old Oct 1, '13, 6:59 am

Religion: catholic

There,s no specially way too pick a Saint,,for me I pick St Francis of Assi,may your Heart and God help you fine the Saint you want.
Old Oct 2, '13, 10:35 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Thanks for kind Words and tips everyone Ive been searching thru some of the Saints I like best and I think its Mary Magdalene Im going to choose

I love the humility of Mary Magdalene, she submits to Jesus 100 percent. Her love saved her from all sin she had committed. This is perhaps the greatest example of Jesus' mercy. When she realized who Jesus was then she completely let go of herself and her own egoism and pride and sacrificed her life to the Lord.
She let Jesus be the center of her life, this is an ideal I want to pursue in my life as a Catholic.

Last edited by HeadingBackHome; Oct 2, '13 at 10:39 am. Reason: no need for quoteation:)
Old Oct 2, '13, 1:43 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingBackHome View Post
Thanks for kind Words and tips everyone Ive been searching thru some of the Saints I like best and I think its Mary Magdalene Im going to choose

I love the humility of Mary Magdalene, she submits to Jesus 100 percent. Her love saved her from all sin she had committed. This is perhaps the greatest example of Jesus' mercy. When she realized who Jesus was then she completely let go of herself and her own egoism and pride and sacrificed her life to the Lord.
She let Jesus be the center of her life, this is an ideal I want to pursue in my life as a Catholic.
Good picking mate!

You know, Mary Magdalene may have been the founder of the first convent, as it is known that women joined togheter and lived a life of prayer and submission to Jesus, anticipating the coming of the nuns. If we face that as a possibility, you can still see her mark today in the world.
and the clouds let drop the dew."
- Book of Proverbs

"God had one son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering." - St. Augustine

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism