Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 30, '05, 5:49 pm
Observing Member

Religion: CATHOLIC
Default when does your soul leave your body

after you die when does your sould leave your body?
Old Oct 30, '05, 6:04 pm

Religion: Christian -
Default Re: when does your soul leave your body

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana
after you die when does your soul leave your body?
Hey, I don't know, right, but I suppose most people would think that the soul leaves the body at the time of death.

You know, like in the movies....

I couldn't resist, but seriously, yeah, if this were a poll, I'd vote "at the moment of death."

Now, does that mean when your pulse stops, or when you're "brain dead" like some 5 or 6 minutes after your heart stops? Can your soul be brought back to your dead body and you "become" alive again? I don't know.

As you may expect, St. Thomas touched on this:

It is written (2 Corinthians 5:1): "If our earthly house of this habitation be dissolved, that we have . . . a house not made with hands, but reserved in heaven [Vulg.: 'eternal in heaven'; cf. 1 Pt. 1:4." Therefore, after the body's dissolution, the soul has an abode, which had been reserved for it in heaven.

That also some souls go down to hell immediately after death is evident from Lk. 16:22, "And the rich man died, and he was buried in hell."

But, that's not extremely helpful for considering details like you ask.

I would consider, that according to God's providence, perhaps souls are allowed to leave their body to have a brief glimpse of the afterlife, to either be scared by the pains of hell, or to be encouraged by the bliss of heaven, and that separation would take place perhaps when you go "flatline." But after "braindeath" there would be no recovery of soul to body.

I'm not a doctor, maybe I'm missing something important, but that seems reasonable.
Old Oct 30, '05, 6:45 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana
The Church has never defined when the soul leaves the body, but traditionally it was thought to occur at the moment of biological death. This was previously discussed in this thread on organ donation http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...organ+donation
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Oct 30, '05, 8:16 pm

Religion: Catholic

I heard Colin Donovan on EWTN Radio speak about this. He said that we really don't know when this happens, but some theologians think that it has to do with how strong the life force is. For example, the soul may leave the body of elderly person who suffers greatly much sooner than it leaves the body of a baby who was just born.
Old Oct 31, '05, 9:57 am
Forum Elder

All the TV docs don't seem to have a problem with glancing up at the clock and saying, 'time of death--9:24' and quickly moving on to the next patient. (If the soul hans't left by then, I suppose it's under doctor's orders to go now.)

In fact, on some of those shows, they seem to lose more than they save. I hope that the real life docs have a better percentage.
Old Oct 31, '05, 11:58 am

Religion: Catholic Christian of the Latin Rite

Obviously this is not something anyone can 'prove' one way or another, but I think there may be a little time after clinical death (heart stops beating, lungs stop breathing) when the soul may still linger.

I keep thinking of cases of 'near death experience' where someone has been declared dead and they have 'come back to life'.
Old Oct 31, '05, 12:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
All the TV docs don't seem to have a problem with glancing up at the clock and saying, 'time of death--9:24' and quickly moving on to the next patient. (If the soul hans't left by then, I suppose it's under doctor's orders to go now.)
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Feb 16, '11, 11:55 pm
Observing Member

I had a friend that passed away that had been on life support for 5 days before her death and was wondering if her soul would have left her body on Friday when they put her on machines to breath for her or tonight when the machines were turned off and her physical body actually died.
Old Feb 16, '11, 11:57 pm
Book Club Member

Brain Dead: Dead Means the Soul Has Left the Body

Answers the question, with solid Catholic teaching.
Old Feb 17, '11, 8:20 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin View Post
Brain Dead: Dead Means the Soul Has Left the Body

Answers the question, with solid Catholic teaching.
Hmm, listening to this video clip, I wondered, was Mrs Tore's body actually dead, but though technology, merely used as an incubator for the unborn child until the child reached viability?

In other words, she in fact was dead back in May, but between May and August, machines kept her heart beating and oxygen passing through her lungs and into her bloodstream, which fed the fetus.

But in all intense and purpose, she was actually a corpse.

Just wondering.

Anyway, when growing up, I was taught by the nuns, that the Church allowed for the last rites to be given to a person, up to one hour after death. The thinking was that the soul may stay with the body for one hour after death, but its not certain. Just to be safe, giving the last rites up to the hour after death was kind of a just in case scenario.

Jim
Old Feb 17, '11, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Just wondering.

Anyway, when growing up, I was taught by the nuns, that the Church allowed for the last rites to be given to a person, up to one hour after death. The thinking was that the soul may stay with the body for one hour after death, but its not certain. Just to be safe, giving the last rites up to the hour after death was kind of a just in case scenario.
Jim
It is another mystery of God. We wonder how God does it all, Our faiths tell us to trust and we will know all when we are with Him in His abode forever more,
Praise Him, and Peace, to all , Carlan
How often I have longed to gather your children as a hen gathers her brood under her wing.( Matthew 23:37)
Old Feb 17, '11, 3:19 pm
Book Club Member

Considering the entire body is alive, the soul has not left the body, you're playing with the definition of death.

Something very dangerous to do. Taking that responsibility on yourself, and hoping people will listen. Hope you're ready for any consequences of any mistakes.

We've got Catholic teaching on this already, something that doesn't change with the times to suit an 'ends justify the means' equation.
Old Feb 19, '11, 10:23 pm
Banned

Religion: [email protected]

Your soul leaves your body the moment life does. When you die your soul returns to god and you cease to exist good or bad. There is no such place as hell, that is a concept first created by the Greeks, and then continued when Rome finally adopted Christianity under Constantine. Artist along with the Catholic church, and politicians, created some horrific images of what they believed Hell to look like. These images frightened many, and kept them in line with the church which is a huge part of what kept the Catholic church so strong... It was government getting its hands into religion.

However though if you were good, meaning you had love in your heart for Jehovah god (god is just a title not a name), and you did your best (remember only Jehovah knows someone's true heart no man, no matter how holy he claims to be). You will be resurrected, which is the promise, and gift which Jesus (who is not god, but the son) spoke of. When you are resurrected in Jehovah's kingdom (because right now the world belongs to Satan) you will live and be as man was intended to be, before Adam and Eve disobeyed Jehovah which was also pretty much a test between Jehovah and Satan. Satan rose the question "why should man worship you?" Satan believed he was just as beautiful and important if not more than Jehovah god. Jehovah being the fair god that he is, allowed Satan to have contact with Adam and Eve.

The tree and the fruit in the story, are not important. Its the fact that they disobeyed Jehovah after constantly thinking about eating from the tree, after Satan tempted them. This theme of constantly thinking something bad is also in the story of Cain, and Abel, even the Exodus story when Pharaoh Ahmose' wife constantly instigates by calling Pharaoh Ahmose weak, and that he should go after them.. He thought about it and thought about it, then acted on it and well ran into trouble when the waters came crashing in.

The answer to Satan's question to Jehovah when Satan first challenges him, is the way the world has become.. Look at what we've become, what we do to each other, how we've destroyed the Earth. The hate, the suffering and it seems to only become worse.. This is why Satan's way is not the way, this is why Jehovah is god because the suffering of mankind and the destruction of the world hurts him, because he loves us so, and when the time comes he'll put an end to it.

Now about what happens when you're "bad". Being bad doesn't mean not going to church, or not believing in god, or even believing in another god because there are so many out there who haven't gotten a chance to know Jehovah, or had it presented to them the wrong ways, or were hurt by people who claimed to be a Christian but their actions show otherwise. Bad means people who vehemently reject everything the father and the son are about, have hate in their heart wanting to watch the world burn. People who enjoy the suffering of others with absolute no remorse in their hearts, meaning their hearts are without light and impossible to know, and remember again only Jehovah knows a man's true heart.

These people are not resurrected when the time comes, they remain non existent, and will not be missed or mourned.
Old Feb 19, '11, 10:27 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana View Post
No one know for sure. A priest told me that if they have instructions to try to give Anointing and Absolution to a dead person up to two hours after they died because its a possibility the soul is still with the body.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality