Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 13, '13, 3:38 am

Religion: Considering Catholicism
Default 24 yea, 15 nay, 16 abstain?! Council of Trent and the canon of Scripture

Was reading on Wikipedia, and this came up and intrigued me. (Yes I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable of places...)

"The Council of Trent on April 8, 1546, by vote (24 yea, 15 nay, 16 abstain) approved the present Roman Catholic Bible Canon including the Deuterocanonical Books."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Develop...uncil_of_Trent

Waaaait... what? Is this true? If the canon of scripture was set in stone as some Catholics like to claim before this point, then how come 15 cardinals/bishops voted no to the canon, and 16 abstained?! You'd think it would be a bit more unanimous than that??
Old Oct 13, '13, 5:59 am

Religion: Roman Catholic Church
Default Re: 24 yea, 15 nay, 16 abstain?! Council of Trent and the canon of Scripture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan Of Swing View Post
Was reading on Wikipedia, and this came up and intrigued me. (Yes I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable of places...)

"The Council of Trent on April 8, 1546, by vote (24 yea, 15 nay, 16 abstain) approved the present Roman Catholic Bible Canon including the Deuterocanonical Books."

Waaaait... what? Is this true? If the canon of scripture was set in stone as some Catholics like to claim before this point, then how come 15 cardinals/bishops voted no to the canon, and 16 abstained?! You'd think it would be a bit more unanimous than that??
A cursory Internet search produces a plentiful supply of protestant websites that use the exact verbiage as the wikipedia quote. Apparently, the statement (from-Wiki, Metzger pg. 246) is being used as an "Aha!" moment against the Catholic Church.
May cooler heads prevail:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03267a.htm & http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm

Last edited by Hieronymi; Oct 13, '13 at 6:14 am. Reason: Additional info
Old Oct 13, '13, 6:11 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: 24 yea, 15 nay, 16 abstain?! Council of Trent and the canon of Scripture

According to St. Alphonsus Liguori is his work on the Council of Trent, he states that, "all were of the opinion that the Council should approve of all the sacred books."

The only question where there was some difficulty was, "whether the books which we have of the Bible should be subjected to a new examination for approbation." St. Alphonsus goes on to say, "many, with Cardinal Del Monte and cardinal Pacecco objected to such an examination, saying that it was the practice of the Church not to call in question definitions already made. On the other hand, many maintained that the examination should be made in order to give greater authority to the truth . . ." He does not give a breakdown of the vote but I assume that this is what the article is referring to.
Christian, what will be your station at the last day the right hand or the left? If you would occupy the right, you must walk in the way which conducts thither; it is impossible to keep the way to the left, and at length arrive at the right. (St. Alphonsus Liguori)
Old Oct 13, '13, 6:14 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Oct 13, '13, 7:20 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

The Wikipedia article is inaccurate and it misapplies its source in Metzger. The vote re: the Deuterocanon was a unanimous vote -- not a single Council Father voted against the current Canon of Scripture. They all voted unanimously simply to repeat the Canon that had been listed at the Council of Florence, which included the Deuterocanon. The official language was: "Et omnes responderunt placet" -- "And all responded yes." After that, they held a vote on whether they should include an anathema which would excommunicate all who disagreed; that was where only 24 of them voted in favor of the anathema. But the Canon itself was unanimously approved with the Deuterocanon. source

Metzger's book itself, as quoted by Wikipedia, does not say that they voted 24-15-16 to "approve [] the present Roman Catholic Bible Canon" (as Wikipedia incorrectly infers) but rather that they voted 24-15-16 to make that Canon "an absolute article of faith [] confirmed by an anathema." There's a big difference between those two things. What Wikipedia should say is that the Council Fathers voted unanimously to "approve [] the present Roman Catholic Bible Canon" and then voted 24-15-16 to anathematize all who disagree.
Old Oct 13, '13, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieronymi View Post
A cursory Internet search produces a plentiful supply of protestant websites that use the exact verbiage as the wikipedia quote. Apparently, the statement (from-Wiki, Metzger pg. 246) is being used as an "Aha!" moment against the Catholic Church.
May cooler heads prevail:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03267a.htm & http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm
Is there a tally of votes in here?
Old Oct 13, '13, 7:32 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmar198 View Post
What Wikipedia should say is that the Council Fathers voted unanimously to "approve the present Roman Catholic Bible Canon" and then voted 24-15-16 to anathematize all who disagree.
Wiki got it wrong! Say it ain't so, dmoe. Thanks for the link and clarification. Well done.
Old Oct 13, '13, 7:41 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmar198 View Post
The Wikipedia article is inaccurate and it misapplies its source in Metzger. The vote re: the Deuterocanon was a unanimous vote -- not a single Council Father voted against the current Canon of Scripture. They all voted unanimously simply to repeat the Canon that had been listed at the Council of Florence, which included the Deuterocanon. The official language was: "Et omnes responderunt placet" -- "And all responded yes." After that, they held a vote on whether they should include an anathema which would excommunicate all who disagreed; that was where only 24 of them voted in favor of the anathema. But the Canon itself was unanimously approved with the Deuterocanon. source

Metzger's book itself, as quoted by Wikipedia, does not say that they voted 24-15-16 to "approve [] the present Roman Catholic Bible Canon" (as Wikipedia incorrectly infers) but rather that they voted 24-15-16 to make that Canon "an absolute article of faith [] confirmed by an anathema." There's a big difference between those two things. What Wikipedia should say is that the Council Fathers voted unanimously to "approve [] the present Roman Catholic Bible Canon" and then voted 24-15-16 to anathematize all who disagree.
Thanks for the Article - - Very informative...

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Oct 13, '13, 8:02 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Latin Catholic of the Roman Rite

Quote:

Sultan... As a practicing Catholic, I feel obligated to tell you that Wikipedia may not be the most accurate source for all things Catholic. In fact, except for minor topics (sports, etc...), Wikipedia is notoriously UN-reliable. They are the used car salesmen of online encyclopedias.

There are a great many online Catholic apologetics sites that cover the Deuterocanon, as well as the Council of Trent.

~http://catholiceducation.org/article...cs/ap0120.html
~http://catholicdefense.blogspot.com/...k-by-book.html
~http://catholicdefense.blogspot.com/...y-book_28.html
~http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15030c.htm

There are also many tracts and threads here on www.catholic.com about BOTH subjects. Good hunting!

Domine Iesu, dimitte nobis debita nostra, salva nos ab igne inferiori, perduc in caelum omnes animas, praesertim eas, quae misericordiae tuae maxime indigent. Amen.
Old Oct 13, '13, 8:15 am

Religion: Catholic of course!

Forum Rules and guidelines

Ecclesiastes 1:10 Nothing under the sun is new, neither is any man able to say:
Behold this is new: for it hath already gone before in the ages that were before us.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics