Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 14, '13, 9:09 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Is Job the OLDEST Book in the Bible?

I here ever so often that the Book of Job is the OLDEST book in the Bible, is that truly so?

If such is the case, I then ask again to double check: Is the Book of Job older even than the Torah?

The Apostle Saint Jude Thaddeus is
"The Miraculous Saint," the Catholic
Patron Saint of "lost causes" and of
"cases despaired over."
Old Oct 14, '13, 10:38 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Is Job the OLDEST Book in the Bible?

Yes.

EDIT: So as not to let you feel incomplete with my one-word answer, () I will say more.

Job lived before Abraham, and thus all the other books of the bible must have been written after his death.

However, if your question is more about the order with which the books were written, I do not know. I daresay it is possible other books were written before Job was written, but Job himself lived before any of them.
Old Oct 14, '13, 11:20 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Thaddeus View Post
I here ever so often that the Book of Job is the OLDEST book in the Bible, is that truly so?

If such is the case, I then ask again to double check: Is the Book of Job older even than the Torah?
Hi Judas:

My Interpreters Commentary on the bible dates Job at 6th-3rd centuries BC (p. 239) , and my Jerome Biblical Commentary sets it more likely at the first half of that time frame around 600-450 BC (p. 512). Jerome gives the date of Hosea at about 750 BC, (p. 253), Amos "probably before 750" BC (p. 245) and Nahum (around 650 BC) (p. 293). As for the Pentateuch/Torah, dating that depends on the time periods you assign to the Jahwist (J), Elohist (E), Deuteronomic (D) and Priestly (P) contributions; the J-narratives appear to have been codified about 10th century BC, the E-narrative post 922 BC, the D-narrative in the first half of the 7th century BC, and the P-narrative around 500 BC (p. 3-4).

I don't know if this is useful, but there's a simplified wiki on "Dating The Bible" which may be of some help here, because this is an enormously complicated problem (little bits of books and traditions and narratives spring up everywhere, and it is tortuously difficult to assign hard and fast dates to any of this stuff). It is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_the_Bible

There is a lot of controversy about this, and scholars have been haggling over this for centuries. But it seems clear the Biblical Scholars would say that Job is not the oldest book of the Bible, it being predated by much of the Pentateuch and several other Old Testament books.

Jacques
Old Oct 14, '13, 11:58 am

WHAT!?

Everything I know is a lie!

Are you a proud Hispanic Catholic too? Come join the group!

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1318
Old Oct 14, '13, 12:03 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtheway View Post
WHAT!?

?
Old Oct 14, '13, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtheway View Post
WHAT!?

I don't know exactly, but I wouldn't read too much INTO this discussion.
If Job (the book) is older, that's no hill to die on.

The Apostle Saint Jude Thaddeus is
"The Miraculous Saint," the Catholic
Patron Saint of "lost causes" and of
"cases despaired over."
Old Oct 14, '13, 12:58 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshix View Post
Job lived before Abraham, and thus all the other books of the bible must have been written after his death.

However, if your question is more about the order with which the books were written, I do not know. I daresay it is possible other books were written before Job was written, but Job himself lived before any of them.
The context itself of the introductory parts of the book suggest so, I agree!

I sincerely don't if it's the oldest though. The entire dialogue that is delivered throughout dozens of chapters might suggest it was not too far after his life, as the detail of extensive discussions like that one can be easily lost with time. Not that I don't think some things were added to it, but if we are to consider the core authentic, it may be older than the Torah.
and the clouds let drop the dew."
- Book of Proverbs

"God had one son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering." - St. Augustine
Old Oct 14, '13, 8:00 pm

NAB seems to suggest it may have been composed between the 7th and 5th centuries BC.
Old Nov 9, '13, 7:16 am
Prayer Warrior

I would put my bet on Genesis but it doesn't matter.
Old Nov 9, '13, 8:11 am

This is from the Navarre Bible (Wisdom Books):

The dating of the book is something else we cannot be sure of. The prose passages set Job in patriarchal times when the head of the household was responsible for his family and relatives and offered sacrifices on their behalf, since there were neither priests nor temple. For these reasons, ancient rabbinical tradition (with some exceptions) puts the date of composition back in the twentieth century B.C. However, the earliest Christian commentators and many Church Fathers were of the view that the book could not have been written earlier than the reign of Solomon.
In Modern times, scholars have identified clues which would seem to suggest a more recent date, between the seventh and fourth century B.C., probably during the Persian period (fifth-fourth centuries B.C.). That was the time when, after the Jews' experience of exile in Babylon, they pondered deeply over the problem of pain and suffering: how could God allow an innocent person or an innocent people, the people of Israel, to undergo such a traumatic experience? Besides, it was in that period that the use of Aramaic became widespread--and it was, moreover, the time when wisdom literature flourished. Also, the figure of Satan as a supernatural "tempter" may owe something to Persian influences (cf. Zech 3:1).
Old Nov 9, '13, 9:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

I'm not sure how old the book of Job is but I heard he wasn't Jewish. He is from the land of Uz (not the same as Oz ). So it illustrates how other people can have a relationship with God even if they weren't Jews. We tend to focus on the Jews as God's chosen people and forget about the rest of the people.

Also, I heard that the Talmud says that Job was around during the days of Moses. So he wouldn't be pre Abraham.
Old Nov 9, '13, 10:40 pm
Banned

Religion: Secular Humanist

According to my sources, when the great Babylonian exile occurred starting in 597 BCE, several of the learned Israelites carried with them various scrolls and letters from their private collections. There was, at that time, nothing sacred about any of those writings, and they were not regarded as being precious. In writing the Books of the OT Bible, there was nothing to stop scribes from changing the words in those documents when transcribing them. Since much of the Hebrew liturgy was based on oral tradition and scrolls of questionable accuracy, who knows what the original stories were, especially when many of the original scrolls were lost? Ezekiel was supposed to have eaten some of them. The Books of the OT were copied over and over by scribe after scribe, and there really was not an official version of the OT until the Rabbis of the time of Jesus began to try to standardize the Bible. By that time the Greek Septuagint version had already been produced. The final edition of the official canon of the Old Testament was not set down until well into the Midrash and Talmudic era.
Old Nov 10, '13, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgauss View Post
According to my sources, when the great Babylonian exile occurred starting in 597 BCE, several of the learned Israelites carried with them various scrolls and letters from their private collections. There was, at that time, nothing sacred about any of those writings, and they were not regarded as being precious. In writing the Books of the OT Bible, there was nothing to stop scribes from changing the words in those documents when transcribing them. Since much of the Hebrew liturgy was based on oral tradition and scrolls of questionable accuracy, who knows what the original stories were, especially when many of the original scrolls were lost? Ezekiel was supposed to have eaten some of them. The Books of the OT were copied over and over by scribe after scribe, and there really was not an official version of the OT until the Rabbis of the time of Jesus began to try to standardize the Bible. By that time the Greek Septuagint version had already been produced. The final edition of the official canon of the Old Testament was not set down until well into the Midrash and Talmudic era.
In A.D. 73, Josephus took the Holy Books from the destroyed temple in Jerusalem, which filled up a wagon, and had them transported to Rome. That Torah probably forms the basis of the modern Old Testament.
Old Nov 10, '13, 11:41 am

Religion: practicing Catholic...one day I'll get it right
Send a message via Yahoo to kentuckyliz Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyliz

Exodus 15 is one of the oldest bits of the Bible.

Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world!
Have mercy on us and grant us peace.

Old Nov 10, '13, 1:00 pm
Banned

Religion: Secular Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyliz View Post
Exodus 15 is one of the oldest bits of the Bible.
Jewish and Christian tradition viewed Moses as the author of Exodus and the entire Pentateuch, but by the end of the 19th century the increasing awareness of the discrepancies, inconsistencies, repetitions and other features of the Pentateuch had led scholars to abandon this idea. According to current thinking, a first draft (the Yahwist) was probably written in the 6th century BCE during the Babylonian exile; this was supplemented and completed as a post-Exilic final edition (the Priestly source) at the very end of the 6th century or during the 5th century, and further adjustments and minor revisions continued down to the end of the 4th century.

Meyers, Carol (2005). Exodus. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521002912.

Johnstone, William D (2003). "Exodus". In James D. G. Dunn, John William Rogerson. Eerdmans Bible Commentary. Eerdmans. ISBN 9780802837110.

Kugler, Robert; Hartin, Patrick (2009). An Introduction to the Bible. Eerdmans. ISBN 9780802846365

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture