Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 17, '13, 5:28 am

Religion: Cynical Catholic
Default Lubrication

I know it is impermissible to use artificial contraception, but does the Church any objection to using artificial lubricants to help things go "smoothly" (as long as the lubricant does not have a contraceptive effect)?

And if so, what about some of these new lubricants on the market that contain some sort of magic pixie dust that is supposed to "enhance the experience"?
Old Oct 17, '13, 5:32 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Sheep View Post
I know it is impermissible to use artificial contraception, but does the Church any objection to using artificial lubricants to help things go "smoothly" (as long as the lubricant does not have a contraceptive effect)?
No.
Old Oct 17, '13, 6:57 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rau View Post
No.

(Though many of these specially formulated products can be irritating to skin - which really kills the mood! It doesn't matter from a moral perspective, but I'd think it'd be better to use something like coconut oil, that's a lot cheaper and has a bunch of uses, and is a much "simpler" product.)
Old Oct 17, '13, 7:18 am

It is A-okay!

I would not have had a honeymoon without it! Lol.
Old Oct 17, '13, 7:20 am

Here's something else to keep in mind: Many personal lubricant formulas have a tendency to draw water out of cells by osmosis. This dehydrates and weakens sperm cells and thereby has a contraceptive effect, even in products which are not labeled as contraceptive.

The key term here is osmolality, which is the tendency of a substance to take up water from its surroundings. To keep the sperm healthy, the lubricant osmolality should be close to that of semen or other bodily fluids. Most of the personal lubricants on store shelves have very high osmolalities and therefore are harmful to sperm.

One product that has the right osmolality is Pre-Seed Fertility-Friendly Personal Lubricant. I haven't used or tested it. I am just saying it has a good osmolality so it won't damage the sperm by dehydration.
Old Oct 17, '13, 7:28 am

The above is relevant information, but it doesn't mean that you are required to use that product. As you stated above, you are using it for things to go smoothly. If it has any minimal sort of contraceptive effect, that is a secondary unintended consequence, so it does not make the use of a standard lubricant immoral.
Old Oct 17, '13, 7:30 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryllos View Post
Here's something else to keep in mind.
There are other effects too from the ingredients (such as glycerin) in many of these products -- that do things such as - effect mobility of -and even harm- the male seed.
Old Oct 17, '13, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenzyJen View Post
The above is relevant information, but it doesn't mean that you are required to use that product. As you stated above, you are using it for things to go smoothly. If it has any minimal sort of contraceptive effect, that is a secondary unintended consequence, so it does not make the use of a standard lubricant immoral.
In my above remarks, I didn't address the morality, but was concerned for those trying to conceive, that they may choose wisely.

BTW, when my wife and I were trying to conceive, we avoided using lubricants around ovulation time. Back then, we didn't know about osmolality. We just figured it would work better to go natural.
Old Oct 17, '13, 7:54 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
In my above remarks, I didn't address the morality, but was concerned for those trying to conceive, that they may choose wisely.

BTW, when my wife and I were trying to conceive, we avoided using lubricants around ovulation time. Back then, we didn't know about osmolality. We just figured it would work better to go natural.
I get my car lubricated every 3 months along with an oil change!
Old Oct 17, '13, 8:10 am

Religion: Cynical Catholic

Quote:
We just figured it would work better to go natural.
Well, that is the problem right there.

Factors such as age, menopause, medications one takes can have an effect of how well a woman naturally lubricates. If she is unable to lubricate naturally, then an artificial lubricant might be necessary.
Old Oct 17, '13, 8:17 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

Factors such as age, menopause, medications one takes can have an effect of how well a woman naturally lubricates. If she is unable to lubricate naturally, then an artificial lubricant might be necessary.
That doesn't necessarily mean you have to use a product specifically formulated and sold for that purpose, though. As I said in my earlier post, you can use a product like coconut oil - it's safe, you can use it for tons of other things (may want separate containers ), it's much less expensive, and not likely to harm a couple's chances of conceiving. Plus it washes out easily.

(I'll add pregnancy, breastfeeding, and infertile parts of the cycle to that list. Not so for every woman, but still sometimes an issue.)
Old Oct 17, '13, 8:29 am

Quote:

Agreed. That describes my situation too.
Old Oct 17, '13, 8:43 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Quote:
Here's something else to keep in mind: Many personal lubricant formulas have a tendency to draw water out of cells by osmosis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
There are other effects too from the ingredients (such as glycerin) in many of these products -- that do things such as - effect mobility of -and even harm- the male seed.
Old Oct 17, '13, 9:48 am

Quote:

I meant not to combat anything that you said; I notice a lot of over-scrupulosity regarding sexual matters on here and wanted to head off any confusion for another couple.

Like in an ectopic pregnancy, the Catholic church says that you may remove the "sick" portion of fallopian tube. The embryo passing away as a result is the secondary result of the primary action of treating a medical problem.

As above, a couple using lubricant who has trouble producing their own naturally, is not using the lubricant as a contraceptive, but only to address a medical problem.

Certainly your information is good to know for couples trying to conceive; I just wanted to provide reassurance to couples who may be concerned that using lubricant is in itself sinful.
Old Oct 17, '13, 11:00 pm

Quote:

And if so, what about some of these new lubricants on the market that contain some sort of magic pixie dust that is supposed to "enhance the experience"?
The main question has already been answered, so I'll answer the second one.

I can't think of any reason why it would be impermissible to use a substance that "enhances the experience."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life