Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 2, '05, 12:51 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Paris Blues
Default Holy Days of Obligations

Since I'm not confirmed yet, I didn't have to go to the All Saint's Day Mass yesterday, right?

Now after I get confirmed, I will have to go to the Immaculate day to Mass on Dec. 8, right?
Old Nov 2, '05, 12:59 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Holy Days of Obligations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris Blues
Since I'm not confirmed yet, I didn't have to go to the All Saint's Day Mass yesterday, right?

Now after I get confirmed, I will have to go to the Immaculate day to Mass on Dec. 8, right?
Paris, as I've observed many of your posts, I think you have essentially become Catholic by intent and should be living under the obligations required by all Catholics. The fact that you can't recieve the sacraments is the same for those Catholics who can't recieve the sacraments (as in living under an invalid Marriage). Thus, you probably should have gone to Mass. Talk to your Priest about this for more clarification based on where you really are with regards to whether or not you are Catholic by intent.
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:03 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:

Actually If I were your Pastor or RCIA director I would consider how you handled the Holy Day Obligation of Catholics. Remember that the period of Formation is to be used to learn the practice of the Catholic Faith and incorporate Catholic practice into you own life. I feel that anyone not willing to live as a Catholic and looking for excuses for not attending Mass is not really ready to become Catholic. Maybe a little more "practice" at living the Catholic Faith is in order?
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:03 pm
Forum Master

Quote:

I suppose, technically speaking, you didn't have to attend All Saint's Day Mass, but I am disturbed by your choice of words here.

You "have to" go?

Why not: "when will I have the privilege" (to be considered a Catholic and entitled to full access to the Sacraments, especially the Eucharist which are celebrated in a special way on holy days of obligation), instead?
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:15 pm
Banned

Oops, sorry.

Well, I know that you HAVE TO go if you're a Catholic and you're right, I shouldn't have put it like that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I don't have to go (being a candidate in RCIA) then I wont. If I do HAVE TO , then I will but no one said so that "if you're in RCIA, you have to come!" Now if I heard that you are encouraged to come if in RCIA, then maybe I would.

See, recieving the Eucharist means that one is 100% FULLY Catholic in my personal opinion! I don't consider myself 100% therefore, I wouldn't assume I would need to go because of that fact there. Once I get Confirmed, I will go to all the days that I need to go!
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO
Actually If I were your Pastor or RCIA director I would consider how you handled the Holy Day Obligation of Catholics. Remember that the period of Formation is to be used to learn the practice of the Catholic Faith and incorporate Catholic practice into you own life. I feel that anyone not willing to live as a Catholic and looking for excuses for not attending Mass is not really ready to become Catholic. Maybe a little more "practice" at living the Catholic Faith is in order?
That's true.

Now I remember our RCIA instructor back in July telling all of us to come to Mass! But he didn't say, come to Holy Days. But I assumed only Sunday Mass.

I'll ask him when I see him Sunday.
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:22 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Oops, sorry.

Well, I know that you HAVE TO go if you're a Catholic and you're right, I shouldn't have put it like that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I don't have to go (being a candidate in RCIA) then I wont. If I do HAVE TO , then I will but no one said so that "if you're in RCIA, you have to come!" Now if I heard that you are encouraged to come if in RCIA, then maybe I would.

See, recieving the Eucharist means that one is 100% FULLY Catholic in my personal opinion! I don't consider myself 100% therefore, I wouldn't assume I would need to go because of that fact there. Once I get Confirmed, I will go to all the days that I need to go!
You've got the wrong idea here, but I'm glad it's for reasons of scrupulosity and not from trying to do as little as possible. Anyone may attend Mass--anyone at all. You could most certainly have attended All Saints' Day Mass, but you would not have received the Eucharist. You could have simply have stayed in your pew while others went up for communion (and no one would have thought anything bad about for doing so--there are many reasons why Catholics do not receive and receiving is not required even of Catholics) or gone up to receive a blessing from the priest (by folding your arms across your chest and bowing). So, go to any and all Masses you care to attend--it's perfectly fine.
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:23 pm

Quote:

Don't look at is as an obligation, but as an opportunity. Change your mindset, and everything makes more sense...

Ecce crucem Domini

Tiber Swim Team - Class '05

Karl Bjorn Erickson is author and essayist.
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:24 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della
You've got the wrong idea here, but I'm glad it's for reasons of scrupulosity and not from trying to do as little as possible. Anyone may attend Mass--anyone at all. You could most certainly have attended All Saints' Day Mass, but you would not have received the Eucharist. You could have simply have stayed in your pew while others went up for communion (and no one would have thought anything bad about for doing so--there are many reasons why Catholics do not receive and receiving is not required even of Catholics) or gone up to receive a blessing from the priest (by folding your arms across your chest and bowing). So, go to any and all Masses you care to attend--it's perfectly fine.
Oops! Now I feel guilty!

I'm probably going to have to confess this too! I committed a mortal sin!

...but then again, there goes my scrupulous garbage again! *sigh*
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:32 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Oops, sorry.

To be honest, I'm still a bit bothered by your choice of words---but since you are otherwise so gung-ho, I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt.

You should be observing Catholic obligations even though you are still in formation---becoming Catholic is a process, and wanting to observe the obligations is part of that. Your attitude, at least as expressed, seems to be "it's a hard thing to do (or at least something that I may not want to do), so I won't do it until I have to". Nor do you have to partake of communion (obviously you can't yet) to attend Mass. The attitude that looks for the minimum amount of effort expended is not indicative of a life growing in holiness---don't settle for a legalistic, minimalist faith, but put out into the deep. Go to Mass even if you can't take communion. You can still participate in the prayers, readings, and hymns, and be learning the body postures as well.
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:35 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Oops, sorry.

But you are a Baptized Catholic now, so you need to go to Sunday Mass and attend all the Holy Days of Obligation....so, yes you should have attended.
Old Nov 2, '05, 1:38 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Oops! Now I feel guilty!

No, you're not guilty of a mortal sin because you didn't understand your obligations at your stage of formation, that's all.

But, now that you do know, be sure to attend Sunday Mass and Masses of obligation. Like someone else cited, it will be good for you to learn what you are to do during Mass as well as partake in the prayer life of the Church during its various seasons.
Old Nov 2, '05, 5:42 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Oops, sorry.

Once you are a Catholic you are obliged to go to Mass even if you are not receiving the Eucharist.
As you are about to become a Catholic I would have thought you would be wanting to attend Mass even though you don't have to and certainly after becoming Catholic you shouldn't be thinking about attending the bare minimum requirements. You could go to more than one Mass each week, time permitting.
I was a Methodist before becoming Catholic, and before becoming Catholic I attended Mass each Sunday for 10 years with my Catholic wife even though I didn't have to and at that time it wasn't even my intention to join the Church. In your case why do you only want to do what you have to? Don't you want to totally immerse yourself in all aspects of the true Church, even though you can't yet receive Communion?
Old Nov 2, '05, 8:55 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oops! Now I feel guilty!

Well no you were not obligated as a Catholic would be. But you should be using this time to practice being a Catholic and acting as a Catholic would.
Old Nov 2, '05, 9:17 pm

I thought that the rule was that you're not obligated to go to mass on holy days of obligation (including Sundays) until after your first reconciliation - which I think you said would be on Nov 18th, so you're fine for all Saints. At least, first reconciliation is the rule for 'cradle Catholics' baptised in infancy and usually making their first reco at 7 years old. It might be different for adults.

In Australia, all Saints day isn't a holy day of obligation anyway. That's quite strange, I thought that the church would be in universal agreement on these things. What if a USA citizen was on holidays in Australia on all Saints Day, would they have to go to mass? What about the other way around?

PS, stop saying that everything you do is a mortal sin. I'm pretty sure that if you commit a mortal sin, you will know it at the time, because a couple of the conditions of a mortal sin are that you know that it is wrong and you do it deliberately and with free consent. Since neither of those applied here (you didn't know that it was wrong, even if it is wrong, which I'm not sure about, and also, you missed mass by accident not on purpose), then it is not a mortal sin and shouldn't be called a mortal sin. Be a bit more scrupulous about these things (-:

But honestly, God doesn't want us to feel guilty when we haven't done wrong.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics