Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Can you light votive candles at your parish?
Yes 41 80.39%
No 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Nov 2, '05, 11:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Votive Candles in Church:Can you light them at your parish?

I got to light candles for the dead at church yesterday. I've noticed that some churches have done away with this. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing that fire insurence might have something to do with it. I'm curious what percentage of parishes still offer this. (I hope this is the correct forum for this question)

Proverbs 15:25
"To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is!"

<<<<<>>>>>
Old Nov 2, '05, 12:18 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW
Default Re: Votive Candles in Church:Can you light them at your parish?

In our So Cal parish we still light candles (real ones) for the dead during the month of November.

I suppose if a building is of older, wooden construction that some parishes probably do have problems getting fire insurance. I know that our parish has had to make some changes to some wall sconces to make the fire department happy. (One of our local county fire officials is a parish member and he makes a point of telling the pastor if we're doing something risky.)
Old Nov 2, '05, 12:23 pm

I love lighting a candle and think it is a very meaningful old tradition. It's sad to see it dying out.

A lot of churches have wall to wall carpeting, I wonder if that's a problem? I love the churches in Europe that have uncarpeted floors and aren't so heated, and have lots of places to light candles. Candles are very meaningful and I think should be an important part of our faith.

"To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is!"

<<<<<>>>>>
Old Nov 2, '05, 12:38 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritblows
I love lighting a candle and think it is a very meaningful old tradition. It's sad to see it dying out.

A lot of churches have wall to wall carpeting, I wonder if that's a problem? I love the churches in Europe that have uncarpeted floors and aren't so heated, and have lots of places to light candles. Candles are very meaningful and I think should be an important part of our faith.
Sorry for this is off topic, but could you tell me where this picture was taken?
Thank you!

True Marian devotion never obscures or diminishes faith and love for Jesus Christ Our Savior, the one Mediator between God and humankind.
Pope Benedict XVI
Old Nov 2, '05, 12:45 pm

Religion: Catholic- Latin Rite

We've actually got an outdoor marian shrine where our candles are at! So I think that helps them negate with the insurance over it not being a fire hazard. Inside though, too, all real candles
Old Nov 2, '05, 12:45 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

It might make a difference if a church has a sprinkler system. Our building is only 10 years old so it had to meet fairly recent regulations. There's no carpeting except for some decorative rugs near the altar and some in the choir area to regulate the sound.

Unfortunately we don't have many statues so there are few vigil lights. But we did just commision a stature of our Blessed Mother so when it is finished we will probably be getting more candles too.
Old Nov 2, '05, 5:44 pm

Dear Like,
I found that image by doing a google search. It said as a caption:

"votive candles, Mission Church Mission San Juan Capistrano"

<<<<<>>>>>
Old Nov 3, '05, 1:25 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

In our parish, one puts the offering in the envelope, and the people who serve as sacristans light the approriate candle- real candle.

HOWEVER- at other parishes I frequent, I have a choice of a push-button "candle" which is really a light bulb in a votive jar; OR the real deal, d-i-y light my own candle.
Old Nov 3, '05, 3:14 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Smile Re: Votive Candles in Church:Can you light them at your parish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritblows
Dear Like,
I found that image by doing a google search. It said as a caption:

"votive candles, Mission Church Mission San Juan Capistrano"
Interesting. When I looked at the picture, the ceiling looked like the construction in a California mission. It is nice to see that it is.

- Kathie
Old Nov 3, '05, 4:10 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Guerric of Igny (1070 - 1157), abbot of the Cistercian abbey of Igny, lived a life of retired study and prayer and left a collection of Sunday and feast day homilies.
Later today I will dig up one of his books and type up a beautiful homiliy in which he partly reflects on candles.....and then I will share.

Here are some photos I took at St. Paul of the Cross Monastery in Pittsburgh, PA.

This room is rather small. Note the window panels that were open. This seemed necessary due to the heat created by the burning candles. The smell of the burning wax was heavy in a wonderful way. This room was a peaceful place to be.
Old Nov 3, '05, 4:10 am
Book Club Member

Yes we can but they're electric lightbulbs that look like candles infront of an Icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. It's reasonable as its only to stop a fire risk. Drop a coin, bulb lights.
Old Nov 3, '05, 6:07 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

some churches have them some don't. many have outdoor shrines with banks of candles. What is required, by order of the bishop after consulting the fire department, is regulations on the material and construction of the candle stand, its location and surroundings, and the type of candle use. What is preferred is a specially construction fire-safe "candle room" (required in all new church construction or renovations). The candles used must be pure, there are certain accepted brands. The cheap decorated candles sold in all the supermarkets and dollar stores are prohibited because of lead wicks, impure wax, glass that cannot stand heat, and the decals of saints are actually flammable. These candles frequently meltdown, explode or otherwise become fire hazards and breathing hazards.
Old Nov 3, '05, 6:54 am
Book Club Member

For me the main purpose of lighting candles (besides the obvious motive of the lighter) is they are a reminder to the rest of us in the parish that there are prayer needs among our fellow parishioners taht we also need to pray for. I try to remember in my pre-Mass prayers to gaze upon the candles and ask that the Holy Spirit comfort the people who lit the candle, that the saints intercede on their behalf, and express my gratitude to God that at least for that day, I don't have such a prayer need worthy to "alert" my fellow parishioners.
Old Nov 3, '05, 10:03 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemplative
Guerric of Igny (1070 - 1157), abbot of the Cistercian abbey of Igny, lived a life of retired study and prayer and left a collection of Sunday and feast day homilies.
Later today I will dig up one of his books and type up a beautiful homiliy in which he partly reflects on candles.....and then I will share.
Here is but a portion of the lengthy sermon by Guerric of Igny

Liturgical Sermons Book 1

Sermon 15 page 101

The First Sermon for the Purification

Leaving then what has been explained well enough let us rather, if it please you, discuss this charming custom of the Church of bearing lights aloft on this feast day, which may be to re-enact the deed once performed, or to bring home to us our own performance of it. I do not imagine that you cannot guess such meanings even if you have never heard them expounded. Could anyone hold up a lighted candle in his hands on this day without at once remembering that old man who on this same day took up in his arms Jesus, Godís Word clothed in flesh like a candle-flame clothed in wax, and affirmed him to be the Light which would be a beacon for the Gentiles? Surely he was the burning and radiant lamp which bore witness to the Light. For this purpose he came in the Spirit, who had filled him, into the temple: that he might receive, O God, your Loving-Kindness in the midst of your temple and declare him to be Loving-Kindness indeed and the Light of your people. Truly, O holy Simeon, in the quiet contentment of old age you carried this Light not simply in your hands but in the very dispositions of your hearts. You were like a lamp-standard, seeing so clearly how much the Gentiles would one day be lit up, while reflecting even then amidst the gloom of Jewish unbelief the bright rays of our faith. Old, yet still sincere, you can now be happy in that your really see what once your but foresaw.

Come then brethren; give an eye to that candle burning in Simeonís hands. Light your candles too by borrowing from that Light; for these candles I speak of are the lamps which the Lord orders us to have in our hands. Come to him and be enlightened, so as to be not merely carrying lamps but to be very lamps yourselves, shining inside and out, for yourselves and for your neighbors. Be a lamp then in heart, in hand, in lips. The lamp in your heart will shine for you; the lamp in your hand or on your lips will shine you for your neighbors. The lamp in the heart is loving faith; the lamp in the hand is the example of good works; the lamp on the lips is edifying speech. But not just before men must we shine by works and word, but before angels too by prayer, and before God himself by pure intention. Our lamp before the angels is the purity of our devotion when in the sight of angels we chant the psalms with care or pray with burning ardor; our lamp before God the honesty of our intention to please him only whose approval we have won.

I am sorry I am not taking the time to share more of this beautiful homily by Guerric of Igny....it is all so beautiful.
Old Nov 4, '05, 10:39 am

Religion: 1st apostolic full gospel church of Jesus Christ unreformed

Here at Sacred Heart in Tampa, FL we still do but there are several Catholic Churches (?) hereabout that have gotten rid or never had votive candles. They also do not have Crucifixes, kneelers and many other traditional Catholic things. They are really into the spirit of V2. They seem to think these things offend our Protestant brothers.

Lord save me from the newest is truest, latest is greatest MOD SQUAD.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments