Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 26, '13, 9:24 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Prayers Before and After the Rosary?

I've been praying the rosary fairly consistently for the past year or so. I follow the guidelines I received in RCIA, but I've noticed on a few occasions when going to public recitations that there are (apparently commonly known) prayers said before and especially after the rosary, like the prayer to St. Michael.

So I'm curious about what other prayers people say when they pray the rosary. I was taught to do the Sign of the Cross then go right into the Apostle's Creed, then I end with the Hail Holy Queen. But others have several prayers they recite after that, and I don't know any of them. So what do you do, and how did you learn it/why do you do it?
Old Oct 26, '13, 9:30 am

Default Re: Prayers Before and After the Rosary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensmama87 View Post
I've been praying the rosary fairly consistently for the past year or so. I follow the guidelines I received in RCIA, but I've noticed on a few occasions when going to public recitations that there are (apparently commonly known) prayers said before and especially after the rosary, like the prayer to St. Michael.

So I'm curious about what other prayers people say when they pray the rosary. I was taught to do the Sign of the Cross then go right into the Apostle's Creed, then I end with the Hail Holy Queen. But others have several prayers they recite after that, and I don't know any of them. So what do you do, and how did you learn it/why do you do it?
What My family and I say right after the Sing of the Cross is "Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen."
Old Oct 26, '13, 9:47 am

Religion: catholic

It seems that it is up to the person saying the rosary what prayers before and after they want to say.

Mary at Fatima requested that at the end of each decade this prayer be said:

"O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, take all souls to heaven, and help especially those that are most in need."

And there is sort of a tradition to say the Hail Holy Queen prayer at the very end of the rosary. Some say the Memorary in place of the Hail Holy Queen.

And then others add this or that here and there.

May Mary hold you always in her care.
Old Oct 26, '13, 10:56 am

Does everyone pray this prayer after the rosary?

O God, Whose only begotten Son, by His life, death and resurrection, has purchased for us the reward of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

When I learned the rosary, we always ended it with the Hail Holy Queen prayer, and the sign of the cross, and this is how I still finish when I pray on my own. But when I pray the rosary after Mass with others, we always finish with the above prayer (which I just recently memorized).
Old Oct 26, '13, 11:04 am

We always end the rosary with the St Michael Prayer and a Prayer for vocations in my parish. It's up to who leads the rosary. Prayers can be added if there it time because we pray before Mass and must finish 10 minutes before the Mass so there is silence in the Church. Some times we pray an Our Father for the Pope and his intentions.

Mary.
Old Oct 26, '13, 11:05 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred conty View Post
It seems that it is up to the person saying the rosary what prayers before and after they want to say.

Mary at Fatima requested that at the end of each decade this prayer be said:

"O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, take all souls to heaven, and help especially those that are most in need."

And there is sort of a tradition to say the Hail Holy Queen prayer at the very end of the rosary. Some say the Memorary in place of the Hail Holy Queen.

And then others add this or that here and there.

May Mary hold you always in her care.
I do say the Fatima prayer after each decade. I didn't know that some people said the Memorare instead of the Hail Holy Queen. Interesting!

And while I know there's not necessarily "one way" to pray the rosary, it's obvious that people do it differently...so I want to know what the "this or that here and there" is. It seems that it's not so cut and dry as I once thought in RCIA!
Old Oct 26, '13, 11:07 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofirst View Post

O God, Whose only begotten Son, by His life, death and resurrection, has purchased for us the reward of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

When I learned the rosary, we always ended it with the Hail Holy Queen prayer, and the sign of the cross, and this is how I still finish when I pray on my own. But when I pray the rosary after Mass with others, we always finish with the above prayer (which I just recently memorized).
Yes, I have heard this one in public recitations. I have heard it almost every time, so I began to wonder if it is traditionally said privately as well, or not.
Old Oct 26, '13, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofirst View Post

We do. I lead the Rosary before our Sunday, 11 AM Mass. An older parishioner asked me to include the above prayer. I asked Father M, our priest. He said, this was an old prayer used to end the Rosary. It was perfectly fine to use it after the Hail, Holy Queen.

Occasionally, after the above prayer, one of the older (70's/80's) parishioners will say two more prayers.

Quote:
V. May the divine assistance remain always with us. R. Amen

V. And may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. R. Amen
Old Oct 26, '13, 12:29 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I bought a little bocklet when I converted in 1992 this is how it said to pray the Rosary and I've been doing it this way ever since. To me this is how it should be done.

-Prayer Before the Rosary

Queen of the Holy Rosary, you have deigned to come to Fatima to reveal to the three shephard children the treasures of grace hidden in the Rosary. Inspire my heart with sincere love of this devotion, in order that by meditating on the Mysteries of our Redemption which are recalled in it, I may be enriched with its fruits and obtain peace for the world, the conversion of sinners and of Russia, and the favor which I ask of you in this Rosary. (Here, mention your request.) I ask it for the greater glory of God, for your own honor, and for the good of souls, especially my own. Amen.

- Apostles creed
- our father
- 3 hail Marys

For each decade:

1 our father, 10 hail Marys, 1 glory be, 1 Oh my Jesus (Fatima prayer)

After decades:

-Hail holy Queen

Closing prayer:
"Let us pray.

O God, whose only-begotten Son, by his life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for use the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord.

Amen.

May the divine assistance remain always with us.
And may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Amen.
Old Oct 26, '13, 1:44 pm
Prayer Warrior

Before the Rosary: Apostles Creed, Our Father, 3 Hail Marys, Glory Be.
After the Rosary: Hail Holy Queen, O God (optional), "May the divine assistance be with us and may the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace", "Saint _____ pray for us".

That's what I pray anyway.
Old Oct 28, '13, 5:23 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensmama87 View Post
I do say the Fatima prayer after each decade. I didn't know that some people said the Memorare instead of the Hail Holy Queen. Interesting!

And while I know there's not necessarily "one way" to pray the rosary, it's obvious that people do it differently...so I want to know what the "this or that here and there" is. It seems that it's not so cut and dry as I once thought in RCIA!
The basic plain Jane rosary is:

Sign of the cross
Apostle's creed
Our Father
3 Hail Marys
Glory be

Then this part is repeated 5 times:
Our Father
10 Hail Marys
Glory be

Anything else is this and that, which others have been citing their own prayers which they add.
And you may add any of your own if you like.

May Mary love and protect you.
Old Oct 28, '13, 9:25 am

Personally, I have what might be considered an odd habit. When I find myself in the state of sin and in need of confession (all too often ) I finish my rosary with the Memorare. After confession, back in the state of grace I finish with the Salve Regina (Hail Holy Queen). The Memorare seems more penitential to me.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality