Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 13, '13, 8:34 pm
Loving disciple's Avatar
Loving disciple Loving disciple is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 24, 2012
Posts: 945
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Liberal Catholic

Is it ok if I am a Liberal?
  #2  
Old Nov 13, '13, 8:37 pm
TK421's Avatar
TK421 TK421 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: June 15, 2013
Posts: 3,645
Religion: Catholic Neophyte (Easter, 2014)
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

No. Liberal values are against Church teaching.

Among the two highlight issues in the US theater, a Catholic must be against abortion and gay marriage. The libertarian view, where one might condemn them but support their legal recognition, or the liberal view, where one simply supports them, are not acceptable.

Economic models are more-or-less considered discretionary. Hardcore Marxist-style socialism has received condemnation and ire because of how it deduces and debases human worth and the supposed source of happiness to commodities, but generally speaking, you can be a Catholic in good standing and support a higher tax / centralist model. You would not be defying the Magisterium. You'd just be making me facepalm is all. *pause for dramatic effect* Fear me.
__________________
"To a brave man, good and bad luck are like his right and left hand. He uses both."
-St Catherine of Siena

Last edited by TK421; Nov 13, '13 at 8:56 pm.
  #3  
Old Nov 13, '13, 8:39 pm
pilgrimjake pilgrimjake is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 31, 2013
Posts: 19
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
No. Liberal values are against Church teaching.
True that, brother!
__________________
Always act with faith, for if you act with faith, all that you ask for will be given.
  #4  
Old Nov 13, '13, 8:40 pm
St Francis St Francis is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2004
Posts: 11,568
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

"Liberal Catholic" is an extremely vague term which covers so much ground it is practically meaningless.

So... what exactly do you mean when you say you are liberal, or a Liberal Catholic (as written in your title)?
__________________


"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P



  #5  
Old Nov 13, '13, 9:20 pm
TRH1292's Avatar
TRH1292 TRH1292 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: January 3, 2013
Posts: 1,347
Religion: One, Holy, Catholic, And Apostolic Church
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

What do you mean by Liberal?
  #6  
Old Nov 13, '13, 11:57 pm
Contarini Contarini is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Posts: 16,430
Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving disciple View Post
Is it ok if I am a Liberal?
It depends on the definition, as others have said.

I would say that it isn't OK to accept either "liberal" or "conservative" ideologies as they exist in the U.S. today without serious challenge and qualification.

In other words, if there aren't some ways in which you disagree with both Ann Coulter and Rachel Maddow, you probably have some work to do in properly forming your conscience.

Many folks on this forum will argue that the two sides are radically different, because the points where "liberal" political views conflict with Catholicism (mostly abortion and gay marriage) are "intrinsic evils," whereas the alleged points of conflict with right-wing views (on war, the death penalty, immigration, social-welfare policies, the environment, etc.) are "prudential" matters. But "intrinsic" isn't a measure of gravity. It simply means that under no circumstances may this action be justified. Furthermore, there are prudential considerations that affect how we protect innocent life and uphold the sanctity of marriage. In other words, this distinction is overworked and misinterpreted by conservatives.

All this is assuming that you're using the word "liberal" in a political sense. You really need to give more specifics!

Edwin
  #7  
Old Nov 14, '13, 12:26 am
stephe1987 stephe1987 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 13, 2010
Posts: 1,450
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

How about instead of choosing a label such as "liberal" or "conservative" (both major political parties are seriously corrupt, although in different ways), you just focus on being a good Catholic, following Church teaching and working on growing in personal virtue?
  #8  
Old Nov 14, '13, 6:32 am
Loving disciple's Avatar
Loving disciple Loving disciple is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 24, 2012
Posts: 945
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Francis View Post
"Liberal Catholic" is an extremely vague term which covers so much ground it is practically meaningless.

So... what exactly do you mean when you say you are liberal, or a Liberal Catholic (as written in your title)?
When I say Liberal Catholic, refering to myself. I don't support gay marriage in anyway or the choice for abortion. However I do believe in spreading wealth around so no one is in need. I also believe that Church and State should be separated. Marriage is a religious idea so I don't think the government has a say in it
  #9  
Old Nov 14, '13, 6:33 am
Loving disciple's Avatar
Loving disciple Loving disciple is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 24, 2012
Posts: 945
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

I can't be Catholic if I don't believe in the Dogma. In fact I won't be Christian then

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; Nov 14, '13 at 6:59 pm.
  #10  
Old Nov 14, '13, 6:35 am
Loving disciple's Avatar
Loving disciple Loving disciple is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 24, 2012
Posts: 945
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephe1987 View Post
How about instead of choosing a label such as "liberal" or "conservative" (both major political parties are seriously corrupt, although in different ways), you just focus on being a good Catholic, following Church teaching and working on growing in personal virtue?
I think that your answer is the best one here so far. It is just most of my views are Liberal when it comes to the poor which is in line with the Church last I checked.
  #11  
Old Nov 14, '13, 8:04 am
St Francis St Francis is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2004
Posts: 11,568
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving disciple View Post
When I say Liberal Catholic, refering to myself. I don't support gay marriage in anyway or the choice for abortion. However I do believe in spreading wealth around so no one is in need.
People can certainly disagree about how best to help the poor as long as we all agree that we are obligated to help those in need.

Quote:
I also believe that Church and State should be separated.
The Church's position on this is a little bit tricky, so you might possibly agree with the actual Church position

Quote:
Marriage is a religious idea so I don't think the government has a say in it
Funny! I think this is a libertarian position.

i do think that one of the functions of government is to have laws which encourage the formation of stable 2-parents-of-the-opposite-sex families because children are the future of any society, and I believe that the Church considers this a part of natural law.
__________________


"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P



  #12  
Old Nov 14, '13, 8:10 am
oldcatholicguy oldcatholicguy is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 21, 2012
Posts: 3,394
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving disciple View Post
Is it ok if I am a Liberal?
No, it's not ok to be a Liberal Catholic (or a Conservative Catholic). It is ok to be a Catholic with liberal political/social views (or with conservative political/social views). As long as Catholicism > political/social views you are good.
  #13  
Old Nov 14, '13, 9:36 am
TK421's Avatar
TK421 TK421 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: June 15, 2013
Posts: 3,645
Religion: Catholic Neophyte (Easter, 2014)
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving disciple View Post
Marriage is a religious idea so I don't think the government has a say in it
This is not a view that you are allowed to endorse. Catholics must support having civil marriages reflect their greater reality.
__________________
"To a brave man, good and bad luck are like his right and left hand. He uses both."
-St Catherine of Siena
  #14  
Old Nov 14, '13, 9:44 am
manualman manualman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2004
Posts: 11,768
Religion: Catholic - no buts.
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving disciple View Post
Is it ok if I am a Liberal?
Well nobody's perfect, are they?
  #15  
Old Nov 15, '13, 2:48 pm
CrossofChrist's Avatar
CrossofChrist CrossofChrist is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2013
Posts: 1,711
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Liberal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving disciple View Post
When I say Liberal Catholic, refering to myself. I don't support gay marriage in anyway or the choice for abortion.
-----


Quote:
However I do believe in spreading wealth around so no one is in need.
That's very vague but probably is in line with Church teaching. Depends what you mean though.

Quote:
I also believe that Church and State should be separated.
Possibly acceptable. Depends what you mean.

Quote:
Marriage is a religious idea so I don't think the government has a say in it
The government has an obligation to defend what is right, and specifically has the duty to support the family, including marriage. If you mean that the government can't make up its own mind about what marriage is apart from the Church you are correct.

Civil authority should consider it a grave duty "to acknowledge the true nature of marriage and the family, to protect and foster them, to safeguard public morality, and promote domestic prosperity. - CCC 2210

Gaudium et Spes 52: All those, therefore, who exercise influence over communities and social groups should work efficiently for the welfare of marriage and the family. Public authority should regard it as a sacred duty to recognize, protect and promote their authentic nature, to shield public morality and to favor the prosperity of home life.
__________________


"Your grace and your love are wealth enough for me. Give me these, Lord Jesus, and I ask for nothing more."

- St. Ignatius of Loyola

Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8535Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: svid2
5196CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4433Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3869SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3832Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: James_OPL
3391Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3299Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3150For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:23 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.