Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 15, '13, 9:06 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Smoke before Mass

should I not smoke an hour before communion? like with food
Old Nov 15, '13, 9:12 am

Religion: Cradle Catholic, Latin Rite
Default Re: Smoke before Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADiosgracias View Post
As a Catholic, my opinion is that a smoke does not break the communion fast rule.

As a Catholic dad, my opinion is that you should not smoke. At all. Period. Get help to quit if you need it.
Old Nov 15, '13, 9:14 am

I don't believe there is any formal teaching on this, but it's not a bad idea to offer a little sacrifice along with the fast. Technically the smoke goes into your lungs, and the Eucharist into your stomach.
Old Nov 15, '13, 9:18 am

Quote:
another thought to this is to be considerate of those around you. I can't stand the smell of smoking and someone who has just smoked smells and has that nasty cigarette smell. It can make me nauseous. Maybe the thought would be that if I don't smoke one hour before, I'll smell better to those around me at Church. You should really quit anyway for your own health and well being.
John 8:32
Old Nov 15, '13, 9:57 am

No smoking does not break the Eucharistic fast that applies only to foodstuffs. Liquids also are okay to consume. When we smoke, we take it into our longs, not our stomachs. And I assure you that it's a bad idea to take Christ into the lungs!
Old Nov 15, '13, 9:59 am

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Paul View Post
No smoking does not break the Eucharistic fast that applies only to foodstuffs. Liquids also are okay to consume. When we smoke, we take it into our longs, not our stomachs. And I assure you that it's a bad idea to take Christ into the lungs!
Liquids are not okay to consume if they are coffee, juice, tea, soda, alcohol, or other beverages that are not water!

You may only consume water and medicine. Since cigarettes are neither food nor drink they are not regulated, but common sense should prevail here.
Old Nov 15, '13, 10:03 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Paul View Post
Liquids also are okay to consume.
My understanding is that this is not correct. I believe only water is allowed (and medicine), not things like coffee.

However, I agree both that smoking does not break the fast, and that refraining for an hour before the Eucharist is a good idea for other reasons (sacrifice, the comfort of others, etc.).

I wish people would also refrain from using more than a tiny amount of perfume and cologne before Mass, but that would be another thread.

--Jen
Old Nov 15, '13, 10:13 am

Religion: Roman Catholic - Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
Liquids are not okay to consume if they are coffee, juice, tea, soda, alcohol, or other beverages that are not water!

You may only consume water and medicine.
Holy Mother Church takes care of us and if we are sick, we may eat less than one hour before receiving. Also, if a family member is sick and brought Holy Communion or Viaticum, both the sick and the healthy person may Receive even if the persons have just eaten (there was no way to know that the Priest or EMHC would be coming). Also, if a Priest must celebrate multiple Masses, he fasts the one hour before the first Mass' Communion, but he is not obliged to fast before the consecutive Masses.

May He watch over you.
Have a wonderful summer.

Smile! Jesus is crazy about you!!
Old Nov 15, '13, 10:13 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

smoking as in dagga will interfere with normal human purity. i just look for a smoking free genaration.
Old Nov 15, '13, 10:40 am

Quote:
On the one hand, smoking has nothing to do with fasting, (eating or drinking).

On the other hand remember to remove the 'rette form your mouth, expel all smoke, and consider putting it out altogether before presenting yourself for communion. Perhaps a day before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UeheksW6uM < this sort of "smoking" (without tobacco or other ignited substances) is probably the best sort to do if one must. But watch out for hypothermia!

Old Nov 15, '13, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
As a Catholic, my opinion is that a smoke does not break the communion fast rule.

As a Catholic dad, my opinion is that you should not smoke. At all. Period. Get help to quit if you need it.
So, the easiest way for all concerned is to place the prohibition on smoking AFTER the next mass you attend....in other words you just never smoke again at the close of the next mass.
Old Nov 15, '13, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofight View Post
So, the easiest way for all concerned is to place the prohibition on smoking AFTER the next mass you attend....in other words you just never smoke again at the close of the next mass.
I'm pretty sure that the OP didn't ask if he should quit smoking. I can't understand why everyone feels the need to give unsolicited advice on this issue. (This is directed at the posters on this thread in general, not particularly toward Neofight.)

--Jen
Old Nov 15, '13, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by revert_jen View Post
I'm pretty sure that the OP didn't ask if he should quit smoking. I can't understand why everyone feels the need to give unsolicited advice on this issue. (This is directed at the posters on this thread in general, not particularly toward Neofight.)

--Jen
Fair enough, Jen...by all means, smoke to your heart's content...far be it from me, after seeing both my father and grandfather die from the ravishing effects of smoking, to show concern for the health of others from a known and verifiable health hazard!
Old Nov 15, '13, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofight View Post
Fair enough, Jen...by all means, smoke to your heart's content...far be it from me, after seeing both my father and grandfather die from the ravishing effects of smoking, to show concern for the health of others from a known and verifiable health hazard!
I didn't say I smoked. If you think there is anyone in this country who doesn't already know that smoking is dangerous, by all means, you should tell them--that would help them. However, I doubt that anyone ever quit smoking just because he kept being nagged about it by strangers.

It would make more sense to pray that God would help them quit than just to tell them to do it. I'm very sorry about your father and grandfather, but it's not helping someone if there is basically no chance that the help will do any good.

When I was younger, my obstinacy kept me away from a sincere Christianity for at least a year because a friend-of-a-friend was nagging me about it. She meant well, and was probably showing concern for the state of my soul, but her "help" actually harmed me. Not through her fault, rather because of my sinful nature, but even though it wasn't her fault, it was still very predictably the result of her actions.

So, I'm not saying smoking is good, I'm saying unsolicited personal advice (regardless of how good that advice may be) from strangers is not helpful.

--Jen
Old Nov 15, '13, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by revert_jen View Post
I didn't say I smoked. If you think there is anyone in this country who doesn't already know that smoking is dangerous, by all means, you should tell them--that would help them. However, I doubt that anyone ever quit smoking just because he kept being nagged about it by strangers.

It would make more sense to pray that God would help them quit than just to tell them to do it. I'm very sorry about your father and grandfather, but it's not helping someone if there is basically no chance that the help will do any good.

When I was younger, my obstinacy kept me away from a sincere Christianity for at least a year because a friend-of-a-friend was nagging me about it. She meant well, and was probably showing concern for the state of my soul, but her "help" actually harmed me. Not through her fault, rather because of my sinful nature, but even though it wasn't her fault, it was still very predictably the result of her actions.

So, I'm not saying smoking is good, I'm saying unsolicited personal advice (regardless of how good that advice may be) from strangers is not helpful.

--Jen
So, if I am reading this right, you think that people who smoke will actually solicit advice as to whether they should or shouldn't?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism