Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 21, '13, 6:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default What are the similarities between Orthodoxy and Catholicism

I would like to know what are the similarities between Catholicism and Orthodoxy..
Old Nov 21, '13, 7:51 am
Forum Master

Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism
Default Re: What are the similarities between Orthodoxy and Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefsinner View Post
I would like to know what are the similarities between Catholicism and Orthodoxy..
Since we agree on so much, it might be easier to list the few things we disagree on. For example:

Pope is head of the Church. Catholics, yes. Orthodox, no.
Filioque. Catholics, yes. Orthodox, no.
Married clergy. Catholics, mostly no. Orthodox, mostly yes.
Bread used at mass. Catholics, unleavened. Orthodox, leavened.
Date of Easter.

"It takes faith to believe in everything coming from nothing. It only takes reason to believe in everything coming from God." - Peter Kreeft

Now reading:
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin (this is a must-read book)
Old Nov 21, '13, 8:56 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Pretty much everything. There's little that we differ, and I dare to argue that this East-West schism may end before it completes 1000 years in 2054. We have our theological differences, but it's nothing out of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Carson View Post
Date of Easter.
Let's not forget of our two additional Marian dogmas.
and the clouds let drop the dew."
- Book of Proverbs

"God had one son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering." - St. Augustine
Old Nov 21, '13, 9:25 am

Quote:
Pretty much everything. There's little that we differ, and I dare to argue that this East-West schism may end before it completes 1000 years in 2054. We have our theological differences, but it's nothing out of this world
Wouldn't that reunion be wonderful?!! Lets pray for it often!
Old Nov 21, '13, 10:02 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Carson View Post
Since we agree on so much, it might be easier to list the few things we disagree on. For example:

Date of Easter.
Some of those distinctions are East-West differences rather than Catholic-Orthodox.

Your first example and to some degree your second one are real differences between Catholic and Orthodox.

Additionally there are the ecumenical councils after the first seven and dogmas defined by the Papacy like the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption, all of which Catholics accept (or ought to) and Orthodox do not, at least as formally defined dogmas. There are a number of other issues too. For example, the Catholic Church regards sacramental marriage as indissoluble whereas the Orthodox do not, permitting divorce and remarriage between baptized people. The Catholic Church as a firm and consistent position against artificial contraception; the Orthodox Church does not. The Orthodox Church gives the sacrament of chrismation (confirmation) to converts from Catholicism; the Catholic Church does not re-confirm converts from the Orthodox Church. The Catholic Church has dogmatically defined divine simplicity; the Orthodox Church has promoted teachings that can be interpreted as contradicting divine simplicity. The Catholic Church believes in Original Sin; the Orthodox Church rejects this teaching. The list could go on.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Nov 21, '13, 10:04 am

Religion: Church of England

The whole question of the Atonement and the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ to avert the wrath of God on men for their sins.

They pretend to agree on a lot but if they disagree on the fundamental nature of what Jesus's mission actually was, then it's obviously a big chasm between the two.
Old Nov 22, '13, 12:07 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indifferently View Post
The whole question of the Atonement and the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ to avert the wrath of God on men for their sins.

They pretend to agree on a lot but if they disagree on the fundamental nature of what Jesus's mission actually was, then it's obviously a big chasm between the two.
Not necessarily true... And that question can be easily put to bed if the Churches call an Ecunemical Council on the matter. And it's big no heresy to be on one side or the other...
and the clouds let drop the dew."
- Book of Proverbs

"God had one son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering." - St. Augustine
Old Nov 24, '13, 1:33 am

Religion: Orthodox

From the address given by Patriarch Bartholomew at Georgetown University in October 1997
Assuredly our problem is neither geographical nor one of personal alienation. Neither is it a problem of organizational structures, nor jurisdictional arrangements. Neither is it a problem of external submission, nor absorption of individuals and groups. It is something deeper and more substantive. The manner in which we exist has become ontologically different. Unless our ontological transfiguration and transformation toward one common model of life is achieved, not only in form but also in substance, unity and its accompanying realization become impossible.
Old Nov 25, '13, 8:45 pm

Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)
Send a message via MSN to twf

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodromos View Post
From the address given by Patriarch Bartholomew at Georgetown University in October 1997
Assuredly our problem is neither geographical nor one of personal alienation. Neither is it a problem of organizational structures, nor jurisdictional arrangements. Neither is it a problem of external submission, nor absorption of individuals and groups. It is something deeper and more substantive. The manner in which we exist has become ontologically different. Unless our ontological transfiguration and transformation toward one common model of life is achieved, not only in form but also in substance, unity and its accompanying realization become impossible.
This is the Orthodox position. The Catholic position, on the other hand, is that we are indeed very similar - so much so that we invite individual Orthodox Christians, who are properly disposed, to receive from our Eucharistic table. Within the Catholic communion, the Latin, Byzantine, Syriac, etc traditions all co-exist in harmony. Obviously the Orthodox disagree, but Catholics tend to believe that most of our differences can be reconciled and are simply diffrent expressions of the same underlining Truth. Some Orthodox Christians seem to accept this position more so than others.
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Quote:
838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter." Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church." With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."
You are free to believe that we are ontologically different or that Catholics have departed from the orthodox faith handed down to the saints...but you won't convince us...as far as we Catholics are concerned you are already catholic Christians, and fundamentally orthodox, who receive the same Lord in the eucharistic sacrifice - but are simply in an imperfect communion with the Catholic Church.
Old Nov 25, '13, 8:58 pm

The catholic church has one liturgy calendar in 3 cycles so the entire gospel is covered over a period of 3 years. Is this the same for orthodox churches?
Old Nov 26, '13, 8:16 pm

Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)
Send a message via MSN to twf

Quote:
The catholic church has one liturgy calendar in 3 cycles so the entire gospel is covered over a period of 3 years. Is this the same for orthodox churches?
This is only true of the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, which has only been used in the Catholic Church since 1969. The older form of the Roman Rite, the Extraordinary Form or Tridentine Latin Mass, has a one year cycle. This is also true of all the Eastern / Oriental Rites, as far as I am aware, including the Byzantine Rite which is shared by Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Churches.
Old Nov 27, '13, 8:28 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Melkite (Melkite Catholic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServantPD View Post
And it's big no heresy to be on one side or the other...
See my signature.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Nov 29, '13, 7:51 am
Forum Master

Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodromos View Post
I went to a dictionary and to Wiki to try to get an understanding of what it means for you t be "ontologically different". I still don't get it.

Can you explain what this means using simple words?

"It takes faith to believe in everything coming from nothing. It only takes reason to believe in everything coming from God." - Peter Kreeft

Now reading:
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin (this is a must-read book)
Old Nov 29, '13, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indifferently View Post

In the West, and particularly among Protestants, atonement has come to mean appeasing an angry God. This we certainly do reject. Atonement itself, that Christ died so that our sins could be forgiven through him, is taught by the Fathers. Emphasis in the East, however, is on Christ's victory over death, granting us freedom. The two ideas, properly taken, compliment each other rather than contradict each other.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Nov 29, '13, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by twf View Post
This is only true of the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, which has only been used in the Catholic Church since 1969. The older form of the Roman Rite, the Extraordinary Form or Tridentine Latin Mass, has a one year cycle. This is also true of all the Eastern / Oriental Rites, as far as I am aware, including the Byzantine Rite which is shared by Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Churches.
Yes, we have a one year cycle.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions