Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 23, '13, 9:38 am

Religion: Disciples of Christ (considering conversion to Catholicism)
Default What is the Eastern Orthodox view of the Catholic Church?

I know that the Catholic Church considers the Eastern Orthodox Churches to be churches in the proper sense: having apostolic succession, validly ordained and consecrated bishops and clergy, having the real presence of Christ in their Eucharist, etc.

But what do the Orthodox believe about Catholics? Do they reciprocate these beliefs for the Latin Church?

Matt of Texas
Old Nov 23, '13, 10:35 am

Religion: long lost Catholic sheep, now in the Maronite fold
Default Re: What is the Eastern Orthodox view of the Catholic Church?

It depends on who you talk to. My husband and I were considering converting to the Eastern Orthodox church and I especially was encouraged after reading Timothy Ware's book, The Orthodox Church. He is one of the 'positive' voices of Orthodoxy, considering Roman Catholics a 'sister' church with whom they have the most in common.

However after 2yrs of inquiry and almost a year of catechumenate, I can tell you that they had me doubting if I had ever been a Christian at all. I have heard anti-Catholic vitriol ALL MY life so I am very sensitive to it. I never expected to hear it from Eastern Orthodox after reading about them in Ware's book. It took me so aback, that I literally backed out and am reverting to my Latin, Roman Catholic roots.
Old Nov 23, '13, 10:43 am

Religion: Ex Catholic, now Lutheran (WELS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattofTexas View Post
I know that the Catholic Church considers the Eastern Orthodox Churches to be churches in the proper sense: having apostolic succession, validly ordained and consecrated bishops and clergy, having the real presence of Christ in their Eucharist, etc.

But what do the Orthodox believe about Catholics? Do they reciprocate these beliefs for the Latin Church?
I spent about six months checking out two Eastern Orthodox parishes, considered the catechumens, etc. I have found that the folks there were very opposed to the Catholic Church, and had very few positive things to say about it.
Old Nov 23, '13, 11:20 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

It looks like my experience that many Orthodox believers are just as anti Catholic as many Protestants is being substantiated by other posters here. I think that is a very interesting observation since I have never heard a Roman Catholic say anything but positive comments or nothing about the Orthodox Church. As insignificant as that may be, it does suggest a tangible sense of animosity that if not dogmatically then at least culturally flows from that Church that does bother me. But other than that, I believe there was a recent post that pretty succinctly summarized it. I would just provide the link but I couldnt find it quickly. Perhaps you can. But the idea was that there is so much more in common that it is easier to identify the basic distinctions:

1. Petrine supremacy , not just a first among equals as the Orthodox schismatics at the time claiimed.
2. The Filoleque, which is that statement in the Creed that says that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father AND the Son.
3. The date of Easter
Perhaps one other significant issue that I cant remember.

Other than that I believe there is not much significant difference dogmatically. There are a number of different disciplines such as married priest (but not bishops), and some minor distinctions such as a slight differentiation in the teaching of Transubstantiation. For, example, In the Orthodox there is no distinct teaching in the eternal existence of the Real Presence after the Liturgy of the Mass, thus there is no practice of adoration. Nevertheless, they will still recognize the Real Presence as they leave the Blessed Sacraments in the tabernacle and distribute to the sick outside of the Mass. So there seems to be tendency in the Orthodox to not define some of the dogmas we share in common to the conclusions we draw in the Catholic Church.
Old Nov 23, '13, 11:23 am

Religion: Orthodox

With the exception of acknowledging Rome's apostolic origins, there is no official position on any of those things. We tend to only take official positions on the things that directly impact our faith.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Nov 23, '13, 11:27 am

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)

I was chrismated Orthodox this past Saturday. I haven't seen any hostility toward Catholics at the parish I attend, and would have gone to another one if I had. Intolerance and prejudice are not things I want anything to do with.

There is no official stance in Orthodoxy, as there is in Catholicism, regarding other communions, their faithful, and their sacraments. My priest considers Catholics and Protestants both to be Christian, and I'm allowed to pray with them; non-Orthodox sacraments are not declared valid or invalid either way, to use the Catholic terminology. My presbytera has said that those who deny the trinity are the folks that concern her and her husband.

I am disappointed to hear about what Casilda and House Harkonnen encountered. I hope the failings of some have not sullied your views of others in the Orthodox Church. It is also regrettable that you did not seek out a better parish and decided not to be chrismated because of the people. After all, it is the teachings that really matter. No one should leave the Catholic Church on the basis of the recent scandals.

Let us experience a Coptic Orthodox Gospel proclamation.

Pray for the world's persecuted Christians.
Old Nov 23, '13, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert chacon View Post
It looks like my experience that many Orthodox believers are just as anti Catholic as many Protestants is being substantiated by other posters here. I think that is a very interesting observation since I have never heard a Roman Catholic say anything but positive comments or nothing about the Orthodox Church. As insignificant as that may be, it does suggest a tangible sense of animosity that if not dogmatically then at least culturally flows from that Church that does bother me.
We also have to bear in mind that a lot of Protestants have become Orthodox in North America during the past few decades. If other posters have gone to parishes with a lot of Calvinist and Evangelical converts, it's quite possible that they would find negative attitudes toward Catholics there. (Not to say that cradle Orthodox are free of this problem: I don't believe they are.)

Papal supremacy and the filioque aren't the only doctrinal differences between Catholicism and Orthodoxy (the dating of Easter isn't a dogma, as far as I know). Others include papal infallibility, purgatory, indulgences*, the treasury of merits, and the immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary, as well as (some might argue) original sin.

*I have read of Orthodox practicing indulgences somewhat, but it isn't common or at all emphasized, and may have had a different meaning/purpose.

Old Nov 23, '13, 11:47 am
Banned

Religion: Coptic Orthodox Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
I was chrismated Orthodox this past Saturday.
Many years.
Old Nov 23, '13, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzheremi View Post
Many years.
Shokran (thank you), Dzheremi. May we continue to pray for our own schism to be healed somehow.

Old Nov 23, '13, 11:51 am

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
I was chrismated Orthodox this past Saturday.
May God grant you many years!
But God, he says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of His essence. But the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, are they all names of one essence? St. Basil Letter 234
Old Nov 23, '13, 12:30 pm

Religion: Catholic

My experience with Orthodox Christians is that the degree of animosity towards Catholicism tends to vary along certain ethnic lines, some groups being very respectful and tolerant, others have been downright rude. This has been my personal experience, I can't generalize.
I have a friend that converted to Orthodoxy of a certain ethnic group many years ago because of her marriage, and she says she has never been fully accepted in her Church.

However, I had neighbors who were from a different country and were Orthodox and were welcoming to everyone, inviting us to their children's chrismation parties, etc.

My conclusion is that just as different Protestant groups differ in their degree of anti-Catholicism, so do the Orthodox.

And, as it has been apparent , we Catholics can carry our own prejudices against non-Catholics and be just as intolerant.
Old Nov 23, '13, 12:52 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Greek Orthodox, but converting to Roman Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattofTexas View Post

This is just my own knowledge and my own experiences, so please, if I'm incorrect, please feel free to correct me.

In general, the Orthodox and Catholic Churches are very similar, with few differences, relatively speaking. The Orthodox Church views the Catholic Church's Sacraments as valid, so there isn't a huge issue there. The main difference between the two is the fact that the Catholic Church has a Pope, and the Orthodox do not believe, nor do they agree with the fact that a man stands in the way of God. Not my words, but the words of a fellow Orthodox acquaintance.

From most of the Orthodox I have met and know, they have a strong dislike for the Catholic Church, and it really confuses me. And when I say strong dislike, I mean they cannot stand it. Now this is most certainly not the case with all Orthodox. I know of one person who absolutely loves the Catholic Church, who has absolutely no dislike for it, but doesn't really want to be a part of the Church. So, for those who have run into the problem of the Orthodox hating Catholics, it's not everywhere in every Church, but it is quite common, especially among the Greeks. But, there again, it's just from my experiences.
"... as waters flow from the mountains down into the valleys, so, too, do God's graces flow only into humble souls." -Saint Faustina
Old Nov 23, '13, 1:00 pm

Religion: Catholic/ocds

I was born and raised a Catholic. That being said, I never heard anyone my whole life whether from priests or other Catholic's ever say a bad word about the Orthodox Churches. As matter of fact all I ever heard from priests is that the Orthodox although seperated form the Catholic Church had the same faith and teachings for the most part. Where I live there is an Othodox Church and from all that I understand of it they are very open. I was never taught to be predijeced against any one who are Orthodox or the Orthodox Churches. I do hope that one day there will be reunion between the Orthodox and Catholic Church.
Old Nov 23, '13, 1:04 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casilda View Post
It depends on who you talk to. My husband and I were considering converting to the Eastern Orthodox church and I especially was encouraged after reading Timothy Ware's book, The Orthodox Church. He is one of the 'positive' voices of Orthodoxy, considering Roman Catholics a 'sister' church with whom they have the most in common.

However after 2yrs of inquiry and almost a year of catechumenate, I can tell you that they had me doubting if I had ever been a Christian at all. I have heard anti-Catholic vitriol ALL MY life so I am very sensitive to it. I never expected to hear it from Eastern Orthodox after reading about them in Ware's book. It took me so aback, that I literally backed out and am reverting to my Latin, Roman Catholic roots.
I have nothing like the experience you have had, but a few months of interaction with Orthodox here in this forum have convinced me that yours is not an isolated case.

The animosity you and other posters have described truly flows one way only. (Just watch to see how my comments are belittled.)

Welcome back!

"For an Evangelical Christian to become a Catholic is not to deny all that is good within his non-Catholic faith, but to embrace more." Fr. Dwight Longenecker
Old Nov 23, '13, 1:30 pm

Religion: Catholic/ocds

Randy Carson: Just wanted to say that i agree with you concerniing how some of the Orthodox posters have it seems to e to be one sided when it comes to seeing it all their own way on so many of the issues being decussed. It also sees to methat no matter how many documents are presented to refute many of the claims the Orthodox state, none are ever agreed on in that there always seems to be some monkey wrench in the works. I do have to say that you and many of the other Catholic posters ahve enriched my knowledge of not just the issed being decussed but Catholic history. I applaud your efforts to explain Catholic faith, teachings and history.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions