Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 8, '05, 8:40 am
Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Default Karl Keating's E-Letter of November 8, 2005

Karl's E-Letter of November 8, 2005

Topics:

Note To Diocesan Editors: Jesus Is Not A Mother
"Right-Wing Evangelicals" To Blame For Society's Ills

==========
http://www.catholic.com/newsletters/kke_051108.asp
Old Nov 8, '05, 9:40 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of November 8, 2005

Mr. Keating is definitely deserving of the break he took last week. I am sure that all here would agree that between his e-letters, This Rock, CA Live and these forums, he has been like a mother to us.
Old Nov 8, '05, 10:10 am

I'm sure that most orthodox Catholic theologians would agree that God does not possess either a male or female gender. That said, I would still add to Karl's excellent arguments that we wayward children would do well to identify God as Father, given that we also identify our own fathers as the natural disciplinarian of the family. In our current sinful condition, we must not only love Him, but also fear his judgement, just like we would our own Dads.

Mike
Old Nov 8, '05, 10:34 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton
Mr. Keating ..... he has been like a mother to us.
ha ha
Of course...you are just kidding...

Quote:
Julie McCarty writes a column, "The Prayerful Heart," that is syndicated in diocesan newspapers
What is with the hairy bunch of syndicated columnists making their circuit in diocesan newspapers?

Fr. Richard McBrien and Julie must have their desks set up right next to each other. I bet they have lunch everyday together. How is it they afford lunch? Oh???...you say they sell crumby anti-Catholic editorials to diocesan newspapers....hmmmmm
Old Nov 8, '05, 11:27 am

Right-wing Evangelical Christian and those orthodox Catholics ruining the United States. Just ask the EU, the Catholic church is cruel.
Sodom and Gammorah would have been saved if there were ten rightous men. Maybe we should be glad for the Evangelical Christians.
Old Nov 8, '05, 11:33 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton
Mr. Keating is definitely deserving of the break he took last week. I am sure that all here would agree that between his e-letters, This Rock, CA Live and these forums, he has been like a mother to us.
Plus this should be a reminder for us as well, to rest on a Holy Day. However, for most people who work, I am sure sacrificing their lunch time and devoting it to prayer would suffice too.
Old Nov 8, '05, 11:37 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

Jesus knew that his followers needed to know who God is, so he told us to pray "Our Father', not 'Our Mother, Our Friend, our Ruler. The postion of 'a Father' gives humanity an image of what a 'father's love means and that HE (God the Father) holds us in HIS hands like a father holds his children.

To take away 'Father' and replace the title with anything else:
1) Decreases GOD to some being Less than a Father.

2) Degrades the meaning of a Father in society as the Head of a Family. SInce the Family is being attacked from ALL directions, I am sre this implication is a supporting reason to change GOD from being a Father.
Old Nov 8, '05, 11:38 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic!!!

Dear Mr. Keating,

I'm from the Archdioces of St. Paul and Minneapolis. I saw that article and was totally dismayed. However, it took your e-letter to spur me to action. I have since contacted The Catholic Spirit that ran this article.

In essece I told them that as a Catholic Newspaper - they screwed up. I put it more nicely than that.

Thank you for the wake up!

God bless you!

What we cannot do on our own,
God does for us when we pray.

Old Nov 8, '05, 11:57 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

They put her columns in our diocesan paper but I searched back a few months and couldn't find this one. I actually noticed that she's not published in every issue. Now I guess I know why! I love the new bishop of Oakland! Go Bishop Vigneron! The paper got a whole lot better when he came!
Old Nov 8, '05, 12:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Random thoughts on Mr. Keating's letter:
  • Thank God our diocesan paper no longer carries Father (or is it Mother?) Richard McBrien. Unfortunately, it also dropped George Wiegel. Can you say balance?
  • If God is Mother, does that mean that Jesus had two Mommies? [Just asking the question gives me a headache.]
  • If Jesus is Mother, does that mean at the Eucharist we receive the consecrated Hostess? [Migraine this time]
  • Thinking that one activity (right-wing Evangelical preaching) should be the cause of another (the U.S. being the worse off socially of 18 democracies) reminds me of the rooster who thought his crowing caused the sun to rise every morning. Can you say non sequitur?
  • Question I would have asked the evolutionary scientist who developed the study: Are there any countries in the top 18 who don't have a large component of preaching Evangelicals? What's the excuse for their negative state of societal health?
  • However, it is rather scary to think that with so many supposedly praying, preaching Evangelicals and Catholics, the US is quite bad off. I guess I should get back on my knees........
God bless,
Old Nov 8, '05, 12:49 pm

Mr. Keating,

It may be a waste of time but I would support, even if it just annoyed her, one of your notoriously truthful, yet honestly sound letters to Ms. Brooks in regards to her "position" that abortion ranks in the "bad" arena. Sometimes, I think that people like herself need just a wee bit of a "jab in the ribs," if anything to just keep them on the up-n-up. Thanks for your and all the staff at Catholic Answers hard and dedicated work.

In Christ,
CMAmateis
Old Nov 8, '05, 1:22 pm
Book Club Member

Re Karl’s mention of an article by Gregory S. Paul which was reported in the ‘Journal of Religion and Society’ Dr Theodore Dalrymple made the following comments about Mr Paul’s study. “ Mr Paul the author of the article
is a palaeontologist whose previous works have included "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World" and "Dinosaurs of the Air." Dr Dalrymple goes on to say …
“It is interesting that Mr. Paul's paper makes no mention of Russia, whose 70-year experiment with enforced atheism did not create a society altogether lacking in social pathology, to put it mildly, and where the life expectancy of men is now appreciably lower than that of credulous countries such as Guatemala…. The crudity and selectivity of Mr. Paul's thinking betrays an animus not only toward religion but toward the U.S., or at least toward American society.”

For the complete article go to the link below.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110007405
Old Nov 8, '05, 1:29 pm

You KNOW ... we started on a "slippery slope" when "they" got rid of the Feast of the Circumcision!!!!!

[sigh]

P.S. you gonna have "repel boarders" training on your cruise???
Old Nov 8, '05, 2:54 pm

Mother God?

For those who reduce God to “Mother”, where does this put the Blessed Mother in the scheme of things? Then again, maybe that is why you won’t see much, if anything, Marian among progressive circles – they are all too confused over “Mother” and Father. It’s funny how when God graced Mary, those graces did not drive her to demand equal visibility in Scripture with the apostles. Rather, she was graced with a humble presence and one that was highly reserved – something we could all learn a little more.

Now I finally understand why Holy Mother church is so easily disregarded, as well. If God is “Mother” for some Catholics, its easy to see how they could pick-and-choose faith and morals, not to mention persist in liturgical innovations. Holy Mother Church gets shelved right along side the Blessed Virgin Mary in favor of prideful, convenient self-interpretations of how they wish to define the Church.

I wonder if they would like to refer to the Pope as the Holy Mother.
Old Nov 8, '05, 3:15 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux_et_veritas
Mother God?

For those who reduce God to “Mother”, where does this put the Blessed Mother in the scheme of things? .
I think you mean 'For those who refer to God at "Mother"....'

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008