Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 30, '13, 5:04 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Would a human clone have Original Sin?

I read a lot of science fiction and have always wondered IF (hopefully never) human cloning came to be.
Old Nov 30, '13, 6:39 am
Observing Member

Default Re: Would a human clone have Original Sin?

Original sin is about the law of heritage. The law of God says (paraphrased) a man will receive his heritage from his father. His good and perfect idea was to have many sons through Adam. Adam would have the heritage of his father, God, and would pass that on to his sons. A family is what God had in mind.
The law also said, (paraphrased)if you sin you die. Not just any sin, but a specific sin of attempting to usurp your father's house. For the free man, there is no other law. Adam did exactly that and was sentenced to death. This sentence of death was deferred until a later time and he became a slave of God in care of the captain of the guard, Satan. The law of heritage is still the law and each son of Adam now receives the heritage of slavery, awaiting the execution of God's just judgement, death.
Jesus used the inverse of this law to save us. "If you don't sin, you don't die". Since he was a free man having the heritage of God his father, he has a case in God's courthouse. While Adam is caught up in a criminal case, Jesus is filing a civil case. While Adam is found guilty and sentenced to death, Jesus wins his civil case and is awarded his recompense - full authority over the law, governor of everything. As governor, he can, at his discretion, grant Adam a full pardon.
I hope this helps you see that, if your roots are in Adam, the law of heritage shows you to be a rebel, the son of a rebel.
God bless you.
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:03 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael17F View Post
I read a lot of science fiction and have always wondered IF (hopefully never) human cloning came to be.
All humans inherit original sin, so if someone is human they also inherit original sin regardless of how they came into being-- through natural generation by their parents, through artificial conception techniques, or through "cloning".

Original sin is a state of deprivation of original holiness, we all come under original sin save the Blessed Virgin who was preserved from it by a singular act of grace.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
All humans inherit original sin, so if someone is human they also inherit original sin regardless of how they came into being-- through natural generation by their parents, through artificial conception techniques, or through "cloning".

Original sin is a state of deprivation of original holiness, we all come under original sin save the Blessed Virgin who was preserved from it by a singular act of grace.
Absolutely.

The idea that original sin is inextricably linked with the sexual act was once popular among theologians, but in the light of artificial conception, it has been superseded.
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:05 am

I don't think so as a human clone would most likely not have a spiritual soul but an animal soul. The soul being that part of an organic organism that animates the body. The Spirit animates the soul and the soul animates the body. Humans have souls (minds) and bodies but also a Spirit which sets us apart from other living creatures. Adam and Eve would have been animals until God breathed His Spirit into them.

Fulton Sheen compares man to a peach. The pit or core is the Spirit, what surrounds the pit is the soul and what is the outer covering is the body. (If we aren't healthy spiritually eventually it will effect the mind and the body)

I think all living things can be said to have a soul whether it is a complex brain or meer instinct for survival but only man also has a Spirit and is created in the image of God. spiritually.
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:35 am
Book Club Member

I think so. If they are human, then they have Original Sin. Ever since Adam and Eve all people have it with the only exception being Jesus and Mary. If they are human, they have original sin. I also think the only point of departure would be if they are made by cloning, are they really human?

Glenda
Old Nov 30, '13, 8:44 am

Quote:
If our society insists on pushing this "I have to be great and feel about something" mentality, someone is probably going to try this at some point.
Old Nov 30, '13, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLuigi View Post
If our society insists on pushing this "I have to be great and feel about something" mentality, someone is probably going to try this at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp1 View Post
I don't think so as a human clone would most likely not have a spiritual soul but an animal soul. The soul being that part of an organic organism that animates the body. The Spirit animates the soul and the soul animates the body. Humans have souls (minds) and bodies but also a Spirit which sets us apart from other living creatures. Adam and Eve would have been animals until God breathed His Spirit into them.

Fulton Sheen compares man to a peach. The pit or core is the Spirit, what surrounds the pit is the soul and what is the outer covering is the body. (If we aren't healthy spiritually eventually it will effect the mind and the body)

I think all living things can be said to have a soul whether it is a complex brain or meer instinct for survival but only man also has a Spirit and is created in the image of God. spiritually.
Two great points.
Old Nov 30, '13, 9:20 am
Trial Membership

Quote:

Great! Been arguing with my priest whom believes we are just body and soul/spirit. I tell him we are tripart beings. If we were made in the image of God and God is a Trinity. Why would we be tri-part beings also. 1 Thes 5:23 "And the God of peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete,....."

The spirit as our inmost part is the inner organ, possessing God-consciousness, that we may contact God (john 4:24, Rom. 1:9). The sous is our very self(Matt. 16:26; Luke 9:25), a medium between our spirit and our body, possessing self consciousness, that we may have our personality. The body as our external part is the outer organ, possessing world consciousness, that we may contact the material world. The body contains the soul, and the soul is the vessel that contains the spirit. God as the Spirit dwells: in the soul, our self dwells; in the body the physical senses dwell.

So If God is Spirit.....a clone which is an act of ourselves and not God would not have a Spirit. Unless you think we are actually cloning God. Which would be a very prideful thing to think we could do and would think ranks up there with a certain angel that got booted out of heaven for eternity for such thinking.

Matthew
Old Nov 30, '13, 10:43 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
I guess human clones would have souls and original sin. That's the only explanation that makes sense.
Old Nov 30, '13, 10:51 am

Religion: Catholic->Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPRPsych View Post
Absolutely.

The idea that original sin is inextricably linked with the sexual act was once popular among theologians, but in the light of artificial conception, it has been superseded.
...but the view of sex stemming from this rejected idea is still being cherished.
Old Nov 30, '13, 12:16 pm
Observing Member

Religion: catholic
Question Re: Would a human clone have Original Sin?

St Augustine seems to have clouded the issue of original sin (according to my Parish Priest) I myself remain confused. If evolution comes into play now ,as more and more Catholics are stating it does and that we evolved from whatever? and genesis is forever being seen as "just a story "it leaves me as a simple catholic person who always believed what I was taught quite puzzled as to at what point in evolving do we attain original sin?. There are many scenarios that come into play but I personally would just like to accept the Genesis scenario. Please can someone give me a definitive answer so I can move on. Thank you.
Old Nov 30, '13, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by weller2 View Post
...but the view of sex stemming from this rejected idea is still being cherished.
Not at all. What about the Theology of the Body?

But that's a topic for another thread.

I doubt that any human being, whether conceived naturally or technologically, would be free of original sin; he would still have a human soul.
Old Nov 30, '13, 1:14 pm

Quote:
I don't think so as a human clone would most likely not have a spiritual soul but an animal soul.
I'm not following here. A human clone is essentially a delayed twin. I see no reason to think that a human clone produced artificially would not have a spiritual soul, any more than a person who is conceived via IVF or even by rape or adultery would not have a spiritual soul. All of these are against God's laws and contrary to His plan, but that doesn't make the people born from these processes less human.

As I understand it, as long as there is a human body, there is a human soul, which by God's design is a spiritual, rational, immortal soul. It's impossible for a human being to have an animal soul.

And if it's a human being, then he inherits the Original Sin of his first parent. Just because he is brought into being in a way contrary to God's plan doesn't affect his humanity.
Old Nov 30, '13, 1:24 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

If you human being was created from SCRATCH, that is molecule by molecule, enough to
create at least a reproducing cell that would develop into a human being, then PERHAPS
it would not have Original Sin, but would it have a soul? Doubt it.

However, all humans are born sinful, being descendant from the
first humans that brought sin into the world. So, if a human was
cloned from another human who was born of Original Sin, then
that clone would likely have Original Sin as well.

The Apostle Saint Jude Thaddeus is
"The Miraculous Saint," the Catholic
Patron Saint of "lost causes" and of
"cases despaired over."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy