Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 30, '13, 2:59 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Being Single: What the Sacred Heart of Jesus Can Tell You (an Account)

see http://www.catholicmatch.com/institu...ou-about-love/
Old Nov 30, '13, 4:28 pm

Default Re: Being Single: What the Sacred Heart of Jesus Can Tell You (an Account)

Fabulous article about single living and the Sacred Heart of Jesus; thanks for posting it.
Mary.
Old Nov 30, '13, 6:18 pm
Trial Membership

Default Re: Being Single: What the Sacred Heart of Jesus Can Tell You (an Account)

"He tells us, “learn from me” (Matthew 11:29). Look at my heart and make your heart like mine…There you will find the answers to your prayers."

Very nice article, at first I couldn't understand why God had called me for the single life, I used be part of the What's wrong with me? Club. But with God's grace I was able to understand the value of being single. As a single person I have the flexibility to commit and give more of myself to the church. I don't worry as much as a married person, I know I'm ok and trust God is going to take care of my family and their needs.

I also learn from my married friends and cousins, some hold strong in their marriage while others disintegrates. I see how their marriage thirsts for God and how they confuse their thirst with believing they have fallen out of love.

I believe our first love is God then anything else is a complement to that love.

Thank you for sharing
Old Nov 30, '13, 7:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I'm not seeing the analogies.

If being single is so awesome, why do most people get married? You will never convince me that single life is better.
Old Dec 1, '13, 7:18 am

Article seems logical to me.

I am sorry this issue appears to cause you distress.

I do not think the author states “single life is better”, nor does it seem to me he is implying that.

Quote:
So what does the Sacred Heart of Jesus have to teach us about being single? It gives us three big clues to get to the heart of what it takes to find happiness as a single person. These clues are that we are not alone, that there is nothing wrong with us, and being single is a blessing, not a burden if we understand love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusIsAGirl View Post
If being single is so awesome, why do most people get married?
Maybe you are just frustrated and venting. If so, I understand.
Old Dec 2, '13, 4:14 pm

Quote:

If being single is so awesome, why do most people get married? You will never convince me that single life is better.
I don't get it either. I guess I should be thinking, "Yay! I'm really lonely!"
Old Dec 2, '13, 4:45 pm

Maybe it has some to with a person's temperament? Some people really do enjoy being single, the solitude of it, and they too can contribute to 'family' in other ways. Other people have temperaments where they need to be in constant companionship with another person - they might be the ones to gravitate towards marriage and creating a family of their own. Bottom line, we shouldn't judge one another for liking/disliking single-life/marriage-life, and trying to force ones inclinations on another (or making the other feel guilty/ashamed for not feeling the same as one does). Only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches!
Old Dec 2, '13, 9:29 pm

I believe loneliness can indeed be a blessing. I truly understand how hard it can be to see it that way when we are focused on ourselves and what we do not have. I admit to having a difficult time understanding emotions in the context of doing God’s will. Some of what I have read and experienced indicate that our response to these emotions can bear good fruit or bad. If we just wallow in our loneliness, we will bear bad fruit. We bear good fruit if we use our experiences with loneliness to relate to others and bring God’s love to them. For example, there are many lonely individuals in assisted living facilities, especially the elderly, who would be so incredibly appreciative for someone to visit with. Consider responding to your own loneliness by choosing to serve others, especially in a way that draws from your own experience with loneliness.
Old Dec 3, '13, 1:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malon101 View Post
Only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches!
Yes.

And bsf, yes, I'm mostly venting. I'd rather be married than not.
Old Dec 3, '13, 2:40 pm

Religion: Atheist

Quote:

I personally greatly prefer marriage to just about anything else, but I'm in a great marriage. Marriage itself is not wonderful, it's the bond you have and the life you build that makes it special. I would spend my entire life single rather than marry someone who was wrong for me. Marriage can be great, but it is not automatically so.
“We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It's easy to say "It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem." Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes.” -Fred Rogers

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life